Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times

Advertisements

There are actually some very affordable options within walking distance of 50th and France, although the cheapest options are the smaller and outdated houses on busy streets. There's a place on 42nd and France for less than $200k, and if you go to Xerxes you can also find things under the $200k mark. Go up another $100k and your options expand even more. (and the 1930s houses are generally fairly desirable; the "dumpy" ones tend to be postwar)

Still, I agree that you can get more for your money elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,256 times
50th and France is just 48th and Chicago with a heaping slice of cake. I prefer the alternative:

50 Sense: 48th & Chicago | City Life | The A.V. Club Twin Cities (http://www.avclub.com/twincities/articles/50-sense-48th-chicago,27896/ - broken link)

Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
50th and France is just 48th and Chicago with a heaping slice of cake. I prefer the alternative:

50 Sense: 48th & Chicago | City Life | The A.V. Club Twin Cities (http://www.avclub.com/twincities/articles/50-sense-48th-chicago,27896/ - broken link)
Not even close man....but I do like the 50th and [fill in the blank MPLS options here] streets AS A GROUP more than 50th and France...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I don't like 50th and France's overall vibe these days, but as a whole I think it still has a lot more useful amenities readily available than 48th and Chicago. So for me, I'd still take 50th and France just for its pure practicality value (although some of that is changing). I can understand the comparison, though, and do think 48th and Chicago has far more charm. It's a very nice part of the city (and still somewhat affordable!), and doesn't get enough attention on this forum.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't like 50th and France's overall vibe these days, but as a whole I think it still has a lot more useful amenities readily available than 48th and Chicago. So for me, I'd still take 50th and France just for its pure practicality value (although some of that is changing). I can understand the comparison, though, and do think 48th and Chicago has far more charm. It's a very nice part of the city (and still somewhat affordable!), and doesn't get enough attention on this forum.
I can definitely see the appeal of 48th and Chicago but on a personal basis we hardly ever are over there. The two largest draws to the area are the Parkway Theater and Pepitos, both of which are fairly ho-hum to me. If I wanted unauthentic Mexican food I could just go to some chain in the burbs and there are much better movie theaters close-by (Riverview, Lagoon, Uptown, etc.). I guess I haven't tried that pizza place yet so there could be potential there. Adrian's Tavern is a charming little burger joint/neighborhood dive but it struggles to distinguish itself in the sea of dive bars in the city. Would I consider living in the area? Absolutely. However, I wouldn't consider the area a destination for outsiders in its current state.

I agree with Uptown in that I don't like the vibe at 50th and France...I guess the uppityness of the area isn't really my style. Maybe it's just me but I feel like 48th and Chicago has kind of a retro pleasantville type of vibe, which is kind of cool.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times
I point you to Minikhada Vista - which is also priced a bit steep - but there are deals to be found and more variety in price - close to Excelsior and Grand.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
But NOT Excelsior & Grand, the development -- what a rip-off! I guess that's an exaggeration, but definitely pricey for what you get.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,256 times
Excelsior & Grand looks like a cardboard paste-up imitation of a town, like you'd see on a cheap movie set. All show, no go... as opposed to say Hopkins, which has a real downtown. Too bad they tore down that wonderful old Hopkins movie theater and put in a Honda dealership - Honda moved, and the old lot is an abandoned eyesore now. Great planning, City of Hopkins!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times
Quote:
Excelsior & Grand looks like a cardboard paste-up imitation of a town, like you'd see on a cheap movie set. All show, no go... as opposed to say Hopkins, which has a real downtown. Too bad they tore down that wonderful old Hopkins movie theater and put in a Honda dealership - Honda moved, and the old lot is an abandoned eyesore now. Great planning, City of Hopkins!
Excelsior and Grand works for me - living 2 streets away I can walk to yoga, movies, groceries, target, rec center, breakfast, lunch and dinner - park - the list goes on and on. Public transportation is a few minutes away as is most of the suburbs and an excellent school district.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
I loved the Hopkins theater growing up, and I didn't even know it was gone. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul