Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:57 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan The Man 666 View Post
That movie was directed by the Cohen brothers, and they're from Saint Louis Park.
It is a satirical movie.

I haven't seen the movie in over 10 years.

I've had a couple of people from elsewhere tell me that I've got an accent over the past couple of years.
I knew there was something odd about the humor in that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
I love the films Joel and Ethan Cohen make. Burn After Reading, No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski, O Brother, where art thou?, The Hudsucker Proxy, Barton Fink, A Serious Man, True Grit and Raising Arizona are some of my favorite films. Fargo is no exception to the rule. It's a great movie with a deep, dark, satrical, head-scratching plot.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I love the films Joel and Ethan Cohen make. Burn After Reading, No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski, O Brother, where art thou?, The Hudsucker Proxy, Barton Fink, A Serious Man, True Grit and Raising Arizona are some of my favorite films. Fargo is no exception to the rule. It's a great movie with a deep, dark, satrical, head-scratching plot.
Agreed. They are all fantastic films. The Big Lebowski being one of my favorites.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM

356 posts, read 605,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I grew up in Minneapolis, and during my years elsewhere people sometimes asked me if I was from Canada. I've never had anyone pinpoint it as Minnesota based purely on accent.
When we lived in AZ, I was frequently asked if I am from MN or N/S. Dakota. I am from Canada.

The accents are very similar with certain sounds. Long O's are very common with MN and Western Canadians, like myself. However, there are distinctive MN sounds and I know when I hear them. Of course, I can't think of any right now! lol

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't think I sound particularly Canadian, but I think it was certain sounds -- probably the long o -- that made people think that. People used to make fun of me when I said the word "Minnesota," as that's when the Minnesotan (or upper Midwestern, or whatever) accent really comes out!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,762 times
eh ?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think I sound particularly Canadian, but I think it was certain sounds -- probably the long o -- that made people think that. People used to make fun of me when I said the word "Minnesota," as that's when the Minnesotan (or upper Midwestern, or whatever) accent really comes out!
Just like I didn't sound from Minnesota. I had never been here at the time, but I was told I sounded like I am from here. I'm just saying from my experience growing up in Canada, being away and knowing a Canadian accent a mile away and comparing to the MN accent, there are similarities.

One living in a place doesn't hear their own accent. People tell me they can hear my accent, yet I don't. Apparently it comes out more when I drink.

People do not hear their own accent. Only people listening to them do if they are from different places. Two people from here do not think there is any accent when talking to each other.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
Just like I didn't sound from Minnesota. I had never been here at the time, but I was told I sounded like I am from here. I'm just saying from my experience growing up in Canada, being away and knowing a Canadian accent a mile away and comparing to the MN accent, there are similarities.

One living in a place doesn't hear their own accent. People tell me they can hear my accent, yet I don't. Apparently it comes out more when I drink.

People do not hear their own accent. Only people listening to them do if they are from different places. Two people from here do not think there is any accent when talking to each other.
Not so sure I agree with all of that (although I do agree that Canadians and Minnesotans do have similarities, as well as differences) -- I can definitely hear variations in the level of accent when I hear people speaking around here. Obviously there are some sounds that one can't hear in their own voice, but at the same time I think most people are at least aware of some of the things that make their accent different from people living other places. I think there's a real range of level of Minnesotan accent, and while everyone who grew up here is going to have some of it, some people definitely have it much stronger than others, and I think that's still audible to those who grew up in the area. I'm pretty sure I don't have a strong Minnesotan accent (and people in other states have told me that, perhaps because they were expecting me to sound like I was an extra in Fargo!), but I know it's still there, and sometimes notice it when I'm speaking. I think I notice it now than I ever used to, as it's weird to be back in the state and hearing the Minnesotan accent once again on a daily basis. For me, anyway, I think I actually noticed it less (or thought about it less) when I was living in other regions.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 PM

I never 'heard' the Canadian accent until I left. Now, I can discern it a mile away.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
I never 'heard' the Canadian accent until I left. Now, I can discern it a mile away.
There isn't a Canadian accent anymore than there is an American accent. People born and raised in Newfoundland have a very different accent than someone from raised in Vancouver. I think there are many different accents in Canada. People in rural areas tend to have an accent that resembles the stereotypical "Canadian accent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul