Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,960 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of 4 (2 kids 6 and 4) looking into moving to the twin cities.
I have heard that the NorthEast neighborhood could be a great choice. I just started to look at RealEstate listings and this area has some nice property for around 250K (3 bed/2bath) which is perfect for us. Still it seems pretty close to Downtown and I would have expected a lot more...

Is there something to be aware of concerning this area ?
Would you say, the area is safe ? Are there sectors better than others... ?
Is it family friendly ?
Do you know if the schools are good there ?

Thank you. Fab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fephoo View Post
Hello,

We are a family of 4 (2 kids 6 and 4) looking into moving to the twin cities.
I have heard that the NorthEast neighborhood could be a great choice. I just started to look at RealEstate listings and this area has some nice property for around 250K (3 bed/2bath) which is perfect for us. Still it seems pretty close to Downtown and I would have expected a lot more...

Is there something to be aware of concerning this area ?
Would you say, the area is safe ? Are there sectors better than others... ?
Is it family friendly ?
Do you know if the schools are good there ?

Thank you. Fab
Generally, NE Mpls is mostly good. Depending on your personal comfort level and perception, near the area of Central Avenue and Lowry Avenue gets slightly sketchy (this from one who used to live in that area some years ago but never had a problem). Do you know which neighborhood you'd be in or cross streets?

Though I suspect you can see the size of lot, lot sizes in NE tend to be a bit smaller which may account for part of the price difference. Also, houses in this area tend to be older so may have some deferred maintenance issues (but can also have a lot more character). Finally, NE has traditionally been a bit more industrial or blue-collar. You may want to inquire if you'll be close to train tracks (and then ask how important that is for you). To that end, some of NE isn't perceived as "trendy" enough in the sense that commercial areas tend to be smaller mom-and-pop or ethnic stores. Now, conversely, some people also find that quite attractive to have stores on a more personable level as opposed to only big-box stores, but again personal preference.

I also suspect prices are a bit depressed simply because of the overall market and too much supply for too little demand.

Regarding schools, I will have to leave that to others to answer. As a single guy, I simply have no frame of reference to speak with confidence.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
NE Mpls is a large area consisting of several neighborhoods, from renovated arts district along the river, to bustling immigrant neighborhood on Central to the area I'd recommend for families, the Waite Park area in the far NE corner of NE Mpls. Schools in NE generally aren't that great but Waite Park Elementary is fine. NE Middle Schools is just "ok" (my opinion) and I wouldn't send my kids to Mpls Edison in it's current condition (In my mind the worst public high school in the city today). I'm from Mpls, have kids and am shopping for houses currently. I've looked in NE because I like the Waite Park area for families & for us parents, the vibrant bars/restaurants of the Arts District are pretty cool. I was thinking about sending my kids to St Anthony Village (the first suburb NE of Waite Park & recently ranked the #1 school district in the state) but there is a waiting list I believe? Our plan was to enroll at Waite Park until our spots opened up at St Anthony. We also looked hard at the Catholic schools system in the neighborhood which are Pope John Paul II feeding into De La Salle High School. They're private and you'd have to pay, but they're surprisingly affordable and are really working with families these days due to dwindling enrollment (It's not 1960 anymore).

Last edited by Mason3000; 06-21-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
NE Mpls is a large area consisting of several neighborhoods, from renovated arts district along the river, to bustling immigrant neighborhood on Central to the area I'd recommend for families, the Waite Park area.
Excellent point...to say NE Minneapolis only is too broad an area. To give the best advice, we'd need more specifics. The City designates 13 neighborhoods in the area designated as "NE Minneapolis". I should have been more clear.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul