Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 88,083 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am new to Minneapolis and looking for houses, and I notice that there are a lot more available houses in Bloomington and Richfield than the rest of the areas I'm looking into (western suburbs and southwest Minneapolis). Why is this? Are the schools worse in Bloomington and Richfield? Is it the traffic on 494? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfix99 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to Minneapolis and looking for houses, and I notice that there are a lot more available houses in Bloomington and Richfield than the rest of the areas I'm looking into (western suburbs and southwest Minneapolis). Why is this? Are the schools worse in Bloomington and Richfield? Is it the traffic on 494? Thanks.
Bloomington and Richfield are older suburbs ... it's possible there is simply more turnover of starter homes in those areas.

Parts of eastern Richfield are also subjected to airport noise.

Edit:

I should add ... I lived in an apartment complex in east Bloomington for quite some time (1989 - 2000), and I loved the area (corner of Old Shakopee Road and Old Cedar Ave).

Also, when we were townhouse shopping in 2000, we looked in west Bloomington as well as Eden Prairie. That we ended up in Eden Prairie is more due to chance than anything else ... the best place we found was actually in Bloomington, but we were literally one day late to make an offer (the place had been sold just before we arrived with our agent for the showing).

Last edited by rcsteiner; 06-16-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,276,294 times
I personally like both Richfield and Bloomington. If I were to live in the suburbs given my current work location I'd more than likely settle in one of those two places. As far as I know people aren't rushing to leave either one, but I do know that more people in the further out suburbs are holding onto homes they would normally have put on the market because they are waiting for the housing market to stabilize. The higher priced homes out in further suburbs have been some of the hardest hit by the housing crash. My parents are in this situation, they are empty nesters now and want to sell their 4 bedroom home in the suburbs to get a condo in the city and have decided to stay in their home longer until the market improves and can get an acceptable price for their house.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

812 posts, read 2,161,437 times
I don't like that range because it seems busier down there, it seems like things move a bit slower in the northern burbs.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
Most likely it is the price range in which you are looking. Richfield tends to have smaller, thus lower priced houses as does areas of Bloomington.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,769,041 times
Richfield has a lot of starter homes that are older - 1500 sqft, 3 br 2 ba built in the 60s. Southeast Richfield has seen an influx of lower income minorities in the apartments along 494. In general its a lot of older folks, but its centrally located. East Bloomington has the same issues. Traffic on 494 and 62 are a beast now.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,061 times
A Richfield house could maybe be 1500 feet if it counted the basement, attic, garage and half the shed. Those houses are 900 foot bungalows from the 1940s and 50s. The schools are not very good in Richfield or east Bloomington. They aren't dangerous areas, they were always blue collar neighborhoods where the older residents are aging now. The cheap housing stock means many of the working poor are attracted to the area. Traffic on the beltway and the crosstown can be bad in general, not to account for construction. However, the ease of access and the central location that Richfield and Bloomington offer help support their cities -- that is not a hinderance to the area.
When and if you look for a home there, remember that (like Minneapolis or Saint Paul) that you really can't describe the quality of Richfield and Bloomington as a whole. West Richfield is nicer than east Richfield and the Woodlake area is on par with some nicer parts of south Mpls.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,623,399 times
I agree with the others - there are a lot of "starter" homes in those areas. I have older relatives living in those areas, and probably in the not-too-distant future they'll be selling, too, and moving south or, if necessary, to assisted living.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,627,631 times
because Richfield and Bloomington are two of the most 'urban' suburbs in the metro area. Most suburbs are new suburbs wiht neat lawns and generic strip malls

Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM

843 posts, read 1,275,419 times
Richfield and Bloomington are the most convenient suburbs in everything EXCEPT traffic. The airport, the light rail, the mall, plenty of food choices and shopping choices. Unless you are looking for the more trendy downtown or uptown mpls nightlife, bloomington are richfield are great places.

The only problem is traffic, which is BAD. I dont know much about the schools, but I have heard richfield is having a bit more crime lately. Still, I dont think its anything like a lot of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul