Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM

77 posts, read 305,529 times

Advertisements

this blows me away....

New York drivers named most aggressive, angry in U.S. | U.S. | Reuters

they don't have a LIST, per se, but by my counting, they put MSP as 5th, behind atlanta, detroit, dallas/ft worth, and NYC.

thats pretty high on the list! its surprising to me because my impression of twin cities drivers has been the exact opposite: curtious and considerate at all costs.

Last edited by whoopsie goldburg; 06-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: misspelled "curtious"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Hey! That's COMPLETE B.S. Reuters! We are the NICEST, most considerate and mild tempered drivers in the whole G..D..., F...ing World!

Well, I think Reuters is in the bottom 5 news organizations in the HISTORY of Mankind! I'd only put the 'al Qaeda Gazette' and the 'Telegraph Agency of The Soviet Union' below them and that's on a slow news day!

Ha! not such a BIG man now are you Reuters! Huh?! Are YOU!

* * * * * * (I'm flashing my brights at you) * * * * * *

Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I hate Minnesota drivers. Once people quit being passive/aggressive and learn how to merge we might be able to get off that list.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM

32 posts, read 98,423 times
Slig, you are absolutely right. I despise MN drivers myself. The difference between MSP and the other cities (I have lived in ATL and DFW) is the fact that drivers there are very aggressive (you have to be). Here in MSP, most of the drivers are passive-aggressive (like they are with a lot of things). Not to mention, they can not merge or stay in their lane driving down the interstate.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM

77 posts, read 305,529 times
i'm surprised LA wasn't in the top 5

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsie goldburg View Post
i'm surprised LA wasn't in the top 5
LA has bad traffic but at least people will let you merge there. I found people's driving there to be a night/day comparison to the Twin Cities, and in a favorable way.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
MSP drivers are horrible. Slig and MPLSCleveland couldn't be more accurate in their description.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Here's what I hate most about MN drivers: They ride in the far left passing lane and go 10 mph under the limit. On several occassions I've been flipped off by soccer moms for passing them on the right. But it's not like I had a choice, they were riding the left lane!!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I hate Minnesota drivers. Once people quit being passive/aggressive and learn how to merge we might be able to get off that list.
I thought the article was not that far off. People here really have gotten rammy in the last 5 years. Lot of pent up frustration that shows people have not fully learned to deal with increased congestion. Places like LA have had congestion for years and by now have figured out that being rammy and overly aggressive make it worse. I seem to recall in the early 80's there were a lot more issues in LA and the somewhat infamous shooting spree that went on for awhile with road rage.

One part of the problem is that our roads are very lacking in design and capacity. Our Interstate loop is a cobbled up mess of old highways to a certian degree. There are many places where there just is not enough space to merge properley and this causes people to react in different ways. Some people have faith that a spot will open and accelerate as such. Other people are afraid and they do really bad things like stopping completely on a merge. This is the worst possible reaction. Projects are helping like the unweave the weave (694 an 35E) and the crosstown/35w project. Other major problems still exist and will likely take a very long time to fix. Micro merge lanes on Highway 100, Stop light at 494 and 169, Highway 10 and 694 commons. At this point there is no way DOT can deny that we need 3 lanes each way on every major highway in the metro. This would include 494/694 loop all the way around. Highway 100, 169, 36 and 10 at a minium and probably 52/3, 110 and 61. 94 needs 3 lanes each way to at least St. Cloud. 394 to 94 is yet another major cobble job that is flat out dangerous in heavy traffic.

I have driven in a lot of other metros. One that has me impressed a great deal recently is Phoenix. For a long time they were lacking, but they have been building super slap everywhere in the last few years and it really helps. LA has mega infrastructure with good design, but just a case where there are so many drivers it is hard to believe more capacity will help. Seattle can be tough, but they have similar issues we do with water and natural barriers.

I have seen some real insanity in Atlanta. I was "taught" a tactic there that still makes me shiver. It was reffered to as the "fake and bake". Wheel jerk to make somebody in the other lane think you are coming over, which causes them to break and a spot to open up where you can merge into. Scary stuff.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times
I was surprised by this. We live in the San Diego area right now and everytime we go back to MN for a visit my husband and I always comment on how stress free it is compared to CA drivers. This is our experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul