Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,788 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in mn and despised winter. Right after college graduation I moved to sunny southern ca for some fun and sun. I got exactly that and now eleven years later I'm a little homesick. I am moving back to mn this August and have had two job offers-one in Burnsville and the other in downtown Mlps near Nicollett mall. It's the same job but two different places. I love big cities and the city feel but also am sick of LA driving and commuting. If I live in Burnsville, I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere and too far from the city. Where would be a happy medium place to live without a long commute? Also, if I take the Mlps. job where do I live? How is the commute on 394? What are the rental properties like in the south Mlps. I've been gone a long time and can't decide what job to take because I don't know the area anymore. Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Bloomington would be a good midway point either to Burnsville or Minneapolis. If you haven't been to Burnsville in a long time I think your prospective is off some. There is quite a bit to do around Burnsville and it is a quick hop-non-rush hour-to Minneapolis. If you are going to work in Burnsville living along 394 isn't a great idea. Anything along 394 is going to feel a lot more suburban then living in Burnsville or Bloomington.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
If you love city life it would make sense to take the job downtown and start looking for places in the city neighborhoods. I'm also a fan of city life. I live in South Minneapolis and love it. If you live in the city, commuting downtown is going to feel like night and day compared to LA traffic/commuting. Burnsville has all the amenities you need but it feels very suburban, it isn't very walkable and it's far enough away from the city where it's a pain to make the trip there and back in my opinion. I think it's a no brainer to take the job downtown, but that's just my personal opinon.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Bloomington would be a good midway point either to Burnsville or Minneapolis. If you haven't been to Burnsville in a long time I think your prospective is off some. There is quite a bit to do around Burnsville and it is a quick hop-non-rush hour-to Minneapolis. If you are going to work in Burnsville living along 394 isn't a great idea. Anything along 394 is going to feel a lot more suburban then living in Burnsville or Bloomington.

I was just in Burnsville last week and it seemed small to me compared to where I'm living now in CA. I want to be near hiking/running trails and water but also feel like everything I need is around the corner if that makes sense. Would Eagan be a good place to live or would south Mpls. be better since there are so many lakes. Would it be a big commute to Burnsiville if I lived in south Mpls.?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Thank you for your honest reply. I'd like to be able to walk outside from where I live and hop on a running or biking trail and not sure if I could do that in Burnsville or Eagan. Do you know what the commute would be like to if I lived in South Mpls to Burnsville? Also what part do you live in?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
Given your interest in trails, I'd highly recommend looking into the Lyn-Lake/Uptown area of Minneapolis or else around the excelsior & Grand area of St. Louis park. Both areas are very walkable (although E&G is a new-urbanist development placed on a older suburban style neighborhood), both are convenient to retail/restaurant amenities, grocery stores, trails (the lakes district of mpls is, (dare i say it?) a world-class urban recreational area), not to mention convenient to downtown Mpls. I'd also vote for working downtown--I work downtown and love it! Of course, it all depends on your interests. I happen to like cities, whereas others don't.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteachca View Post
Thank you for your honest reply. I'd like to be able to walk outside from where I live and hop on a running or biking trail and not sure if I could do that in Burnsville or Eagan. Do you know what the commute would be like to if I lived in South Mpls to Burnsville? Also what part do you live in?
I commute from South Minneapolis to Eagan (which would be similar although not as far as Burnsville) and it's an easy commute. All the traffic is going the other way towards downtown and from my experience I've only gotten backed up a few times and it was due to construction. You can be sure that the commute from S Minneapolis to Burnsville would be a ton better than commuting from Burnsville/Eagan to downtown Minneapolis.

I live in SE Minneapolis near the light rail. It isn't as trendy or lively as the Uptown area but it definitely has its own perks. When we feel like going for a walk/jog there are several nice park areas nearby, Powderhorn Park, Minnehaha Park/Fort Snelling, Lake Nokomis, Lake Hiawatha and Minnehaha Parkway. If you live in Uptown and like to run trails you'll have absolutely no problems, you've got the chain of lakes and the midtown greenway right in the neighborhood.

Anyways, good luck with your search!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteachca View Post
Right now they have 35W ripped up with two projects. They are adding lanes which is supposed to be done this fall sometime. They are also redoing the Highway 62 and 35W commons so they do not share lanes. Both of these should help traffic a great deal. If you are going from North to South, this would be a reverse commute and not too bad after they get the construction done. I would say less than 30 minutes after they get it all put back together.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
If you like biking and running try to get a place close to the Mississippi River. Great trails and a lot of fun. I think the commute from the Summit-Grand-Merriam Park area would be pretty easy and you get the best of both worlds. Just my thoughts...

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM

Where is that area located exactly? Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul