U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 AM

15 posts, read 66,026 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the iron range and as a kid we would have many bonfires, many times we would have them in remote places (in the country away from the city). It was always fun to get friends together and we knew we were not disturbing anyone being away from the city, etc.

At 18 I moved to the metro and lived there for 7 years and never really found a place to have a bonfire besides backyards in the suburbs. I would drive out past plymouth hoping to find some "remote" place to just have fun but everything was always private property (duh right).

So in this last year I got the opportunity to move to Duluth. My friends and i are always having bonfires on the beach and different parts of superior and it's just nice to be remote and have a fun time. You can put down a blanket, set up some logs and listen to the water wash up on shore. It's really nice.

Will I have just been laid off and I might have to move back to the metro if I can't find a new job in my field in Duluth.

I am sorry this is a long question but is it possible, I really would like to know, if it is possible to have a relaxing bonfire with in an half-hour/hour of downtown. Are there parks I just have not found? Maybe places by the river but is it crowded? Does this make sense? I am a northern guy who wants to live somewhat of a northern life but don't know how to find it in the metro even after 7 years there. Sure there is a fire pit downtown at club yager off of washington but really is there a place that is remote, by some body of water and it is legal to have a small fire

thank you for your time! I could not find any answer on here about this topic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM

989 posts, read 2,817,968 times
every city has rules on this. Minneapolis does allow recreational fire in an approved firepit. Most people use the metal things with legs and a screen to keep ashes from blowing around.

I could point you to a park that has an a nice fire pit if you like. It is not by a river, but it is a place where you would not likely get muchy attention. Location is around 20 miles east of downtown Minneapolis. DM if you want specifics.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks. I would love specifics. As many as you might know! Suburbs, Rivers, Parks.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,222,698 times
Minneapolis parks do not allow them. I had never looked at Saint Paul parks, but it looks like they have first come, first serve rings at Como, Hidden Falls, Highland, Newell and Phalen. It can't be a raging inferno like a beach on Lake Superior, but with the Minnesota spirit of over-regulation I'll take it where I can get it.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Does anyone know about Wisconsin and by the river. Does it get more remote in that direction?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 PM

3,962 posts, read 9,164,925 times
thats why the suburbs suck

generic and they are fun suckers

go to St Michael, all the fires you want, on the Hennpin county border

Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM

I could not agree more about suburbs. I don't know if that is a MN thing or what... Thanks for the heads up on St Michael but that seems like a bit of a drive. Anything close to east side of the metro or just anywhere else? Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babrent View Post
I could not agree more about suburbs. I don't know if that is a MN thing or what... Thanks for the heads up on St Michael but that seems like a bit of a drive. Anything close to east side of the metro or just anywhere else? Thanks

bit of a drive?

I can get to Downtown MPLS in 20 mins. In non rush hour...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babrent View Post

Im sure there are many places though that are closer, im just not sure.... ha..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks knke0204. This is good to know I will check it out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul