Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 AM

7 posts, read 86,645 times

Advertisements

I know, you all must get tired of us "outsiders" asking questions about the
outdoor places/shots filmed for The Mary Tyler Moore Show back in the early
70s... But, here's one that is making me crazy!

In many episodes, there is a night shot used of the "WJM Building" to set the
scene. As the camera zooms in, there is a lighted bright red sign that spells
out "FARNHAM" vertically. It looks like it might have been about a block down
from the office tower.

What was FARNHAM in Minneapolis?
I have two guesses, based on that type of sign as used in other cities.
1) Movie theater, perhaps the the top portion of the marquee?
2) Drug store, as many pharmacies had some neat signs back before CVS bought them all out...

I have googled and find no insight to this mystery, so I thought I'd pose my
question to the panel of experts. Just a general curiosity since I love old
logos and illuminated signs from days gone by...

Anyone? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,326,320 times
I know what you're talking about. I always thought the sign said Farrah, and I think it was likely a clothing store along Nicollet mall (probably on the first floor of the Medical Arts Building). But that's a guess on my part. It's defintely NOT a movie theater (as they were all on Hennepin Avenue).

The WJM Building is in real life known as Midwest Plaza

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM

MplsTodd: Thanks for your reply! I have been watching the episodes online (hulu) and can assure you after many pauses, the sign says FARNHAM.

Yes, I have learned that the "WJM Building" is really Midwest Plaza and in studying the shots, with my limited Mpls. knowledge, I believe the Medical Arts Building can be seen directly beyond Midwest Plaza, further up the avenue.

The FARNHAM sign is in the foreground of the shot, maybe around S. 7th Street/Nicollet, looking over what would have been construction for the IDS Center, toward Midwest Plaza. (???)

BTW, clothing store would have been my 3rd guess!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM

I'll have to check it out--I've never heard of farnham and I'm old enough to remember what Nicollet mall was like in the early '70s. If you want to delve further you could google the Minnesota Historical Society--they have a huge archive of photos. I would think there'd be many pictures of Nicollet Mall from the early '70s/late '60s.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
If you want to delve further you could google the Minnesota Historical Society--they have a huge archive of photos. I would think there'd be many pictures of Nicollet Mall from the early '70s/late '60s.

Good Luck!
I took MplsTodd's suggestion. Is this it? (looks like this building might have been home to "Farnham Printing & Stationary Company and was located at 501 7th Ave S):

Cookie Detection (never mind the titles of these links)

I also found this:
Cookie Detection

All results for "Farnham":
Cookie Detection

Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Default Great Ideas, Thanks!

Great ideas, Camden N'sider & MplsTodd!

I had no idea the Minnesota Historical Society had such an extensive collection of photos online. Very cool to see what 'once was.'

Northsider: Thanks for sharing those terrific links, however I don't think the location in question could have been in the 500 block of 7th Avenue (?) South. Where exactly would that be, anyway? In the downtown grid, Park Avenue falls where 7th Avenue should/would...

In any case, I think that would have been too far away from Midwest Plaza.

The 2nd link provided opens to a 1968 photo of Farnham's site being razed for the Hennepin County Government Center, so I think that building would have already been gone by the time the MTM crew rolled in to film their exterior scene shots.

A printing company... that would have been my 4th guess.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 PM

PS to MplsTodd: If you'd like to check it out, see the first scene of the episode entitled "Room 223" (season 2 #4.) There are many other times in the series where the shot is used, but this one has it at the very beginning. Can't miss it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM

I checked it out (first time I've ever used Hulu--not that i really need another distraction in my life!) and it looks to me that it would be on the 700 block of Nicollet (where the IDS Center is currently). This is a bit surprising as I always thought that excavation for the IDS Center would have started by the time they did street scenes for the MTM show (which was probably in spring 1970???--didn't the show premier in fall 1970?). My guess is that this footage was taken right before excavation began. I remember there used to be a FW Woolworths store at the corner of 7th & Nicollet, so Farnham must have been towards 8th Street. The Woolworths store moved over to the 600 block of Nicollet for a few years, but then returned as a major retail tenant in the IDS Center (where Gap and Banana republic are now).

Also, thanks to Camden Nsider, I would offer that Farnham's was a stationary store, given that Image 15 of the total farnham search was for a stationary store in Southdale Mall.

Anyway, interesting puzzle--now back to work!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

A stationery & office supply shop... that's exactly what it was!
[i] Farnham's was a very large stationery, office and school supply company. They provided most of the office supplies to companies like 3M, General Mills, Control Data, Pillsbury, Medtronic to name a few and were the largest supplier to most school districts in a five state area. They also had nine retail stores in the state which served smaller companys (sic) and school students. They were in business since 1889 and went out of business in 1971/I] - Gene Johnson, Original Manager at the Apache Plaza store
GeneJohnson interview

This solves my original question, "What was Farnham?"

I agree, the location must have been in the 700 block on Nicollect although there is a reference in the 1908 American Trade Index that shows Farnham Printing & Stationery at 417 Hennepin Ave. American trade index - Google Books

Perhaps the original location was business to business printing and supplies. They must have moved over to the Nicollet retail corridor at some point, perhaps as their business shifted more to office/school supplies... just another guess.

PS: Yes, Todd... hulu can be very addictive, esp if you enjoy old TV that even Nick at Night has retired!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 14,460 times
Default Farnham printing & stationery company location

I am listing an item on ebay and stumbled upon your questions about the building....My pencil box says Farnham Printing & stationery Company 417 Hennepin Avenue Minneapolis, Minnesota. Hope this helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul