Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,577 times

Advertisements

These weren't exactly kids that did this - they were 18-21.

This sounds like a drug deal gone wrong, or else the person that got shot is frankly pretty naive. I know that if three people I didn't know showed up at 10:30 PM, I wouldn't let them in, or even open or answer the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I guess the difference would be motive. My car windows have been smashed in Minneapolis and Eagan, but in Eagan it was just pure vandalism. They bashed the front and back windshield with a bat and shot through two other windows with a bb gun. In Minneapolis just the passenger side window was smashed and my stereo was ripped off.

One of these crimes was purely for profit, the other was apparently somebody with too much time on their hands and felt like breaking something.
So the motive of the crime is limited to the geographical location it occurred in?

My best friend had his car window smashed and his cd player ripped out of his car in his own driveway on an early foggy morning in....of all places....Eagan, Minnesota.

I had neighbors whose homes were broken into and robbed while they were out of town for Christmas visiting family. They were in Eagan, MN as well.

I'm pretty sure anyone anywhere who has items of value is subject to be robbed. It doesn't JUST happen in the city.

I don't think people with intent to commit crimes for a particular reason decide to limit their actions to cities over 100,000 populations.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
No but there are tendencies. What part of Eagan were you in by the way?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Reminds me of the things small-town people say when a murder is committed in their community: "These things aren't supposed to happen here!"
That's what I think. These things can happen anywhere. Just look at Hollywood celebrity crimes.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM

88 posts, read 301,426 times
I've had the lock popped off my car door and CD player stolen. My friend had his F150 stolen from the same spot in front of my house. Both of these crimes happened in Woodbury. Then again I've had my garage painted with cuss words, mail box beaten with a bat, trees TPed, etc. in the same place. Stuff can and does happen anywhere but I agree with Slig that there are tendencies.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm not suggesting that, I just think there isn't enough to do in most suburban areas which causes kids to get into more mischief. I grew up in Blaine, Coon Rapids and Ramsey so that basically described my childhood. If I grew up in the city I can guarantee you I would've done far less destructive things out of boredom.
What exactly would you have done differently? Boredom is no one's fault but your own. There are plenty of things to do no matter where you live.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What exactly would you have done differently? Boredom is no one's fault but your own. There are plenty of things to do no matter where you live.
In Anoka the only thing to do on a Friday night besides the football game was to go cruising on Main St. That was our only form of entertainment. It depresses me to reminisce...literally nothing to do in that area. Oh yeah, you could go hang out a Perkins too I guess...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree that people can find something to do wherever they live, but do think that communities need to take more responsibility to design an environment that is livable for people of all ages. Not that this in any way excuses vandalism or more serious crimes, but many of the outer suburbs seem to be one of the worst places to live as a teenager; you have to have access to a car to get around (or be very limited), there's not really a lot going on, and it's not intellectually stimulating. It might be great for (some) parents with jobs and for young kids, but it's a difficult environment for teenagers, especially those on the younger side.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree that people can find something to do wherever they live, but do think that communities need to take more responsibility to design an environment that is livable for people of all ages. Not that this in any way excuses vandalism or more serious crimes, but many of the outer suburbs seem to be one of the worst places to live as a teenager; you have to have access to a car to get around (or be very limited), there's not really a lot going on, and it's not intellectually stimulating. It might be great for (some) parents with jobs and for young kids, but it's a difficult environment for teenagers, especially those on the younger side.
I get what you are saying, but at some point it comes down to the fact that the teen years are difficult no matter where you live. I am somewhat curious to what things kids in the city do to avoid boredome vs kids in the burbs.

Most burbs have a variety of things going on that kids can choose to be involved in. Scouts, athletics, dance, arts .... When I was a kid, I acutally got myself a job and then started a lawn service. I also enjoyed scouts and fishing. I did manage to get into some trouble anyhow, but not serious.

Seems like some people expect that there will be entertainment that requires no effort, commitment, or planning. That is a tough one.

The way I remember it, I was pretty ok living in small town. We used to visit grandparents in the city and it seemed very boring. All there was is bunch of streets with houses and cars. Some pickup games of hoops in the park and such. Just trying to point out that no matter what the situation, some kids will say they are bored. I never said that too loud because my dad would always find something for me to do that involved a lot of work During the summer he always used to ask what I was going to do today. I made sure that I had answer. I used to hate that, but now I totally get why he was doing it.

Last edited by Clifford63; 07-09-2009 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I don't think the city is perfect, either. I also know that a lot of kids in the suburbs keep very busy. I guess where my complaint about some of the suburbs is that the schools or other centers of activities are often physically separated from the houses, and the kids either have to have someone drive them there, or they get a car as soon as they're old enough to drive. In the city teens are more likely to be able to get to and from places by either walking or taking the bus - not that they also don't get rides or get cars, but I think it's healthy to have options. In the city - or in some neighborhoods of the city - things are more integrated, with parks, coffee houses, movie theaters, restaurants, libraries, etc. - all in the same place, and all within walking distance of home (without having to cross big pedestrian-unfriendly streets).

There's another big trend lately for parents to be afraid to give their kids freedoms; I've been amazed to read some of the posts on the parenting forum and elsewhere where people mention not allowing ven their teenage kids to walk around the mall on their own. People are afraid to let their kids play outside or walk to the park because they might be kidnapped. That's not necessarily a suburban versus city thing, but I did read something recently where the anthropologist author looked at the residents of some of these sorts of suburbs and found that residents were often fearful of perceived dangers to a degree disproportionate to the actual crime rate. (not a teen-specific thing, but it does seem a shame to move to a cul-de-sac somewhere and then still be too nervous to let your children play outside - sometimes even in the backyard - without adult supervision.)

I agree that kids or teens in all environments can be bored, but do think that designing communities that are highly segregated by property use (whether in city, small town, or suburbs) doesn't improve things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul