Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,476 times

Advertisements

Hello.
Me and my family are thinking of moving to the area and I am curious about what areas are good as far as low crime and decent rent. We are originally from Ny but currently live in a high crime area in Charlotte Nc . We want to get back up north in a place where we can start fresh and we have heard alot of good things about the area. But i was looking for somthing a little more specific about what areas are the best. thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
"Best" is subjective. Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of place are you looking for? House, apartment, older, newer, number of bedrooms, etc.? Do you want a modern suburb, an older suburb, a busy city neighborhood, a quiet city neighborhood? Does public transportation matter? Types of stores? Proximity to anything in particular?

The vast majority of neighborhoods in the Twin Cities (including in the city proper) aren't high crime, and rents are pretty low compared to many cities of similar size. If you can give a rough idea of what you're looking for and your ideal rent maximum we can do our best to throw out some suggestions to get you started.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
Default up north

Don't confine yourself to a metro area. Why trade one crime ridden metro area for another?

I moved my family to northern Minnesota in the 70's..haven't regreted the move since. There is no way I'd live in a big city again.

Northern Minnesota is a great place to live, people are friendly..we still leave our doors unlocked. It can also be an unforgiving place..wages are low, work can be hard to find and the long winters can be trying.

Good luck in wherever you decide to live.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:32 PM

well we are looking to rent a big one bed room or a 2 bedroom would be nice. My wife will be going to school in st. paul so i geuss around that area would make sense. Old new city country doesnt really make a difference as long as it is safe and quite basicly i dont wanna have to worry about being robbed walkin to the car or hearing guns shots and ambulances falling asleep. 800 probally be our max as far as rent . Im an electrician so i dont know how the job market is up there either. thanks for your reply i hope this is more descriptive

Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrome View Post
well we are looking to rent a big one bed room or a 2 bedroom would be nice. My wife will be going to school in st. paul so i geuss around that area would make sense. Old new city country doesnt really make a difference as long as it is safe and quite basicly i dont wanna have to worry about being robbed walkin to the car or hearing guns shots and ambulances falling asleep. 800 probally be our max as far as rent . Im an electrician so i dont know how the job market is up there either. thanks for your reply i hope this is more descriptive
What school is she attending?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM

empire its a cosmotogly school

Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Ok, that looks like it is on 94 and White Bear Ave-that is the east side of St. Paul, not far from 3M. If you look for apartments around that area you should be fine as long as you don't go too far north on White Bear Ave and Ruth. You can also look along Century Ave, there are several apartments along there. The Battle Creek area near there is OK too. It is a little hit or miss on the neighborhoods there though. You could go as far out as Woodbury or Oakdale too and still have an easy commute to the school. There are some apartments right on the other side of 94 from Suburban Ave (where the school is). Some of them are a little sketchy (closer to downtown) but the ones closer to Sun Ray mall aren't as bad.

Another option would be to look into South St. Paul or Inver Grove Heights area. There are a lot of apartments in both of those towns and they are safe areas too. It is an easy hop on 52 to 94 to get to the school too.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
$800 is enough for a decent place. Not luxury, but not bad, either. My brother pays less than that for a one bedroom in the Uptown area of Minneapolis; not that I think you should live there (might as well stay close to school and cut out the commute), but he's in a very safe location in a trendy neighborhood and just a couple of blocks from the lake.

Remember to ask about utilities when you find a potential place. Everywhere we've lived in the Twin Cities has had heat included, but if not you'll want to get a sense of what it will cost. It can add up.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Just out of curiousity how is the crime up there I have been told that its not bad at all. But that can be deciving from someone who lived there 10 years ago. our definition of skecty here and yalls up there may be a little bit different .but thanks for all the useful information

Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 7,847 times
The crime is not terrible. It is not nonexistent, but in the areas you are looking at you should not see much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul