Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,849 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the weather up by Bemidji and northern Minnesota is cooler and can be quite a bit different that the weather in Soutehrn Minnesota where the Twin Cities are located. Today as an example, 50's in northern Minnesota, 70's in southern Minnesota (granted this is a good 10 to 20 degrees cooler than what it usually is this time of year) Burrr. Be sure to bring some of that Texas heat with you so we can at least get back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Do you like -20 or -30 below? My daughter lives in New Ulm, MN and it is brutal. When I visit I go in the summer. Now I know why the houses are cheap and people have summer homes there and flee in the winter.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamamegan View Post
Thank you for all the very helpful advice. Yeah 900/month is way out of our price range. What is minimum wage there, does that vary from state to state? Right now in Texas I think it's like 6.55.
Yes, minimum wage varies from state to state. However, the on July 24th the federal minimum wage will be increasing to $7.25 so both Minnesota and Texas will have that as their minimum wage. At that point only a few states will be above the federal level.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
I agree with the other suggestions to check out the Fargo-Moorhead area (and schools around there) as you will find the cost of living a lot lower and some real solid universities that I don't believe are too restrictive academically speaking.

Another school that hasn't been mentioned yet is my own alma mater- the University of Minnesota- Morris (www.mrs.umn.edu)...this would an hour/two closer to frazee than the cities. It's a public college of about 2000 kids but in a small town of about 4000- very diverse student body for a college of its size (at least was when I was there- I had several friends from Houston) and was cheaper than the Main Campus when I went to school there. Plus, unlike the cities, there is generally a good amount of public housing available in Morris if you are looking to go that route (which a lot of students there do, esp. if they have a family- it's not the easiest to find good jobs there).

It has an excellent academic reputation, some argue that it has a better undergrad rep than the main campus (and it consistently ranks very high in national lists for best college value, best public liberal arts college, etc.). Its known for being pretty ultra-liberal (if that's of any concern to you or not) and there are no sororities/frats there. And although it might be tough to get into if your SAT scores are below-par for the U of M's main campus, Morris does have a big focus on having a diverse student body and representation of kids from all over the country and they also seemed to really like non-traditional students (persons that didn't go right into college) as well. So, I think it would be worth a try if you're at all interested.

Downsides of Fargo-Moorhead and Morris areas- in the winter they're about 10 degrees colder on average than the twin cities, and they probably stay frozen for a week or two longer. Other than that, nice areas to live and good schools if you can hack a somewhat isolated, rural feel (moreso in Morris, though than in Fargo or Moorhead).

Good luck-

Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 30,445 times
Thank you for all the wonderful advice! I will be sure to bring some Texas heat with me but not too much, it was 102 today and is staying that way tomorrow as well! Since I've took my SAT I have also 1)graduate high school 2) took some college classes at a community college and it is too late to register for fall semester so I will have time to retake and score higher to get in (I was not too far off) I am checking out the link right now. I'm sure if everyone else can deal with the cold we can learn to live too.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Oh wow! They have my dream major in environmental studies. I'm hooked!!

Last edited by vegmamamegan; 07-16-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Could you tell me more personal experience at this campus? It's like my dream college! I already looked up that I can retake my SATs in October but I can't seem to find on the website if they accept new students for spring semester? They have the on-campus apartments that look nice and I saw it said if you have "life experience" (maybe having a baby at 17 qualifies me for that?) you could be considered for the apartments as a freshmnan.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Morris has a great reputation, especially for things relating to the environment.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Morris is very much like a small, private college. It is in a pretty small town so don't expect a lot of nightlife, but with a baby to take care of that probably isn't an issue. It is a nice campus but it clears out on the weekends so expect it to be very quite. It is fairly selective so your grades need to be pretty good and you need to have good test scores. Many schools in MN prefer the ACT, not that they don't accept the SAT, but the ACT tests in more areas (science, math, English and Writing). I am sure if they have room they accept spring registrations but having housing space might be an issue.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 PM

56 posts, read 244,627 times
Default You wont feel bad about cold

You wont feel bad about cold after your first winter. Once you are used to the cold when summer comes you will feel horrible heat. Even 80s will feel too hot. So you will get used to the weather. Dont worry. We have all 4 seasons. And kids will love it. And U of M is one great place to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul