Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate from college with a criminal justice degree. I have had relatives, in the twin city metro area, tell me that home prices are falling drastically. I am curious to know if this information is true, and where a new graduate might like to look for a starter place? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
That depends very much on where the house is. A townhouse in Woodbury is very different from a two-story in Edina which is different yet than a bungalow in south Minneapolis which is different from a foreclosed house in north Minneapolis.
Most young people tend to congregate in the core cities. Uptown is good and has plenty of options in terms of housing. Loring Park is quieter and closer to downtown. Whittier has alot of artists and is rougher around the edges. The Warehouse District is popular since it abuts downtown, but is more expensive. Places around the Univ. of Minn. always have college kids -- the East Bank is quieter and younger. Cedar-Riverside is more diverse, shadier and has more to do.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,965 times
I got the impression the poster was looking to buy a home based on "home prices are falling dramatically" and "starter place", in which case I think all of the areas mentioned above are either not feasible or out of reach for a starter for the most part (although you might find some exceptions). But, you are correct, home prices have fallen dramatically throughout the metro area- some people won't be as ready to admit this on a public forum, but it's pretty hard to deny when looking on the mls. consequently, there are a lot of neighborhoods that now have homes that qualify for the "starter" range that were once out of reach and in many areas of Minneapolis (and suburbs). What is it that you are looking for, whether in your job or home/ housing search?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I was in the same position a few years ago albeit the market wasn't nearly as attractive then. What I realized is that for the most part single family homes in the suburbs were out of my range so my choice was between a barebones condo or townhouse in the suburbs or a starter home in the modest/lower income neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul. I switched between several areas over the course of the next two years and walked through a variety of homes in North Minneapolis, Northeast Minneapolis, South Minneapolis, Westside St. Paul, Sun Ray neighborhood of St. Paul, West Seventh, then back to South Minneapolis where I eventually found the home I currently live in with a new roof, furnace and windows in move-in ready shape for under 150k. That was a year and a half ago and prices have dropped some more since then. I don't know exactly what your price range, likely grad school or work location or your other living preferences but if you have the resources to throw down on a place I think now is a great time to buy for first-time homebuyers. If you're planning on renting anyway and living in the metro area for a while (5+ years) then it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider buying.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Check out the various city's programs for first-time homebuyers, too. I can't speak for St. Paul or the suburbs, but Minneapolis has some great programs available right now, with additional incentives to buy in certain neighborhoods hard hit by foreclosures. Some individual neighborhoods also offer grants/incentives that can be used for various purposes, including repairs or some upgrades.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
When I was looking for apartments in Minneapolis with my roommates, we all considered just buying a place because homes in the Twin Cities have gotten so affordable. We ended up just renting, but it's not a bad idea to buy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul