Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
Well, I will be a Saint Paulian (?) in exactly one week, and I have a few questions as to where to get the best deals on a few things.

Where can I get a good bike? I'm by no means an avid mountain biker. Just one that gets me to and from school and home on a nice day will suffice. Something that will save me on gas when the weather cooperates. I want to become more moble on my bike than my Honda. If it's used that's fine. As long as it's less than $200 I'll make do.

Where can I get a good new/used chest of drawers or wardrobe? I know, I know... IKEA!!! The selection there is okay, but I may want to know of a nice local antique/consignment store instead. If that falls through, I'll hit up IKEA.

One last one (and this is the biggie). Where can I get a GREAT bowl of cioppino? There is a restaurant in my hometown that has the BEST cioppino you'll ever try and I want to see if The Cities have a place to match or exceed it. My bet is that they do.

Thanks! And I'll see you all in a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Welcome to Saint Paul, Danny! I'll let the others help out with the questions.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 AM

32 posts, read 98,406 times
Welcome to the cities Danny. On your questions, for the bike and wardrobe/drawers I would recommend craigslist (you will probably see Ikea stuff on there too). On my last move, I found some real nice stuff on there. You will probably look through hundreds of posts on there, but you might find exactly what you are looking for (I personally found a midcentury dresser on there for 30 bucks in excellent condition that matched my furniture to a T).
On the cioppino, I have no clue what that is, so I have no suggestions, sorry.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
I found a near mint Trek 850 on CL for $150 earlier this year. Lot of good deals there. Some effort involved looking around. I got lucky that I saw the add at the right time and the bike was still available. I imagine it would have been over $300 used at a bike shop. Added plus was that the bike had just had a tune up. Had to watch the list a few days and sort out a lot of crap to find this, but there are good deals to be found.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM

88 posts, read 301,323 times
I'll vouch for Craigslist as well, at least for bikes. Definitely arrange a test ride and bring a mechanically inclined friend along (if you aren't yourself). For bike shops, I like Express Bike Shop in the Midway area. They deal exclusively with used/refurbished bikes. I've purchased a bike from there, had work done, got parts and just BSed with the mechanics who are all pretty cool. Sibley Bike Depot does similar work right on University Ave. just west of Dale St.

For furniture (and other stuff), I've used Twin Cities Free Market. There are some great finds on there if you are diligent about checking. I've found an entertainment center and couch and buddies of mine basically furnished their dorm rooms durring college through the website.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hey all!
Well, I will be a Saint Paulian (?) in exactly one week, and I have a few questions as to where to get the best deals on a few things.

One last one (and this is the biggie). Where can I get a GREAT bowl of cioppino? There is a restaurant in my hometown that has the BEST cioppino you'll ever try and I want to see if The Cities have a place to match or exceed it. My bet is that they do.

Thanks! And I'll see you all in a week!
The only place I know that sells freshly made Cioppino is Whole Foods but I'm sure there are restaurants that make it too

Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSCleveland View Post
On the cioppino, I have no clue what that is, so I have no suggestions, sorry.
Soup! Or more like a fish stew. Very very yummy . Kinda the italian equivalent of bouillabaisse

Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,314 times
Talking Cheap bikes

Hey you'll be a St. Paulite. Sports authority sometimes has good deals on new bikes for under $200.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll definitely have to check those places out. I plan on getting these things immediately when I arrive.

Also, I won't be bringing any groceries, so that's probably the first thing I'll do. I hear the Farmers' Market is FANTASTIC in Minneapolis. Is this true? Are they pretty cheap too? I just don't want to go on a shopping spree at Whole Foods and rack up a $400 grocery bill. I'm sure gonna miss my Safeways!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,240,916 times
There's a few different farmers' markets (four that I know of), and yes, they're pretty good. I've never been to one elsewhere so I don't know how they compare.

I've also never been to Whole Foods before so I don't know what the prices are like there, but the farmers' markets tend to be a bit more expensive than your regular grocery store.

I'll vouch for craigslist as being the best place to get a used bike. Lots of city bikes in good condition there.

EDIT:

I guess I missed part of your post. Since you're talking about Whole Foods and farmers' markets, I suppose I should have talked about co-ops in my reply. We have a few of those here, including the Seward Co-op, not too far from where you'll be living. http://www.seward.coop/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul