Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM

20 posts, read 90,864 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what's up with the beggars in Seward? I am talking about a specific group of young adults who keep together and mostly wear matching clothing (black, green, and brown). I've seen them a lot at the intersection of Cedar and Franklin, but also all along Franklin into St. Paul. They first turned up a month ago. They're all young and they have deadlocks and keep a few dogs. They hold up signs that say "Hungry, Broke and Traveling" or "Hungry, Broke, and Passing Through: Anything Helps."

I find them kind of annoying because their clothes are fashionable (if dirty) and they sure give the impression of a bunch of kids who decided it would be an adventure to "slum it" and play at being homeless, which is insulting to all of the people who can't help the fact that they're homeless and don't think that it's some kind of game.

Yes, I could ask them. I'm sure that I'm judging them unfairly. Maybe they fell on hard times and have a very sympathetic story (and in any case, there is nothing to be gained from passing judgement on strangers).

I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has seen them or knows what their deal is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,158 times
There's similar people (maybe the same ones?) that normally "work" near the downtown Target, which seems to be the new nexus for panhandling in downtown since the increased security around Block E. I've also seen them in the Uptown and Wedge areas.

I think they're basically crust punks who just basically travel between cities and try to live "under the radar" as much as possible. Probably the best way I could describe them is anarchist, but without the violent tendencies. Like you pointed out, most of them indeed do have homes they could go back to, but choose not to.

At least they're polite when they ask for change (which I still don't give to them) unlike a lot of the beggars, who can be rude and/or threatening.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM

202 posts, read 429,119 times
I know who your talking about they resemble some kind of "eco-punk-hippy" hybrid. I dont give them anything. I walked by an obvious homeless guy (who wasnt begging) in the freezing rain sitting in the street and gave him a box of twinkies out of my bag, yeah i coulda gave him something healthier but whatever twinkies are the bomb. Some people you can just tell they really need the help, others...not so much.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,482 times
Just happened to see this thread. I used to give to anyone who was begging, but there is a semi-organized group here who do the same thing, and I found out they are making much more begging than I am making at my job. $200/day tax free... not too bad. Same ones day after day. You can't pass through a major intersection without having to ignore them.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,158 times
The same sort of thing goes on here. In my neighborhood (Loring Park) the corners near the Walker and Dunwoody are pretty notorious for having scam artists "working" them. I've seen them get $20+ in the 10 minutes it takes me to catch a bus.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 AM

64 posts, read 223,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinerCoffee View Post
Does anybody know what's up with the beggars in Seward? I am talking about a specific group of young adults who keep together and mostly wear matching clothing (black, green, and brown). I've seen them a lot at the intersection of Cedar and Franklin, but also all along Franklin into St. Paul. They first turned up a month ago. They're all young and they have deadlocks and keep a few dogs. They hold up signs that say "Hungry, Broke and Traveling" or "Hungry, Broke, and Passing Through: Anything Helps."

I find them kind of annoying because their clothes are fashionable (if dirty) and they sure give the impression of a bunch of kids who decided it would be an adventure to "slum it" and play at being homeless, which is insulting to all of the people who can't help the fact that they're homeless and don't think that it's some kind of game.

Yes, I could ask them. I'm sure that I'm judging them unfairly. Maybe they fell on hard times and have a very sympathetic story (and in any case, there is nothing to be gained from passing judgement on strangers).

I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has seen them or knows what their deal is?
it does appear they are self acting. I have always called it "living a bohemian lifestyle" to give it a nice sounding name.

To each his own, I only give to people who are putting some type of originality or effort in to entertaining me. the last guy I gave to was playing a Xylophone. not a guitar, not a harmonica but a Xylophone.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM

88 posts, read 301,323 times
I was riding my bike along the river in downtown St. Paul last week and met a few similar sounding people (appearance, age, dog, etc.). They weren't begging, just chilling by a water fountain. They had big hiker's backpacks on which always intrigue me so I started talking to them. They were all from Jersey and basically ride trains around the country (they had just gotten off one at Pig's Eye Lake from Milwaukee). They didn't seem like anarcho/punk people ideologically, just modern day hobo's doing their thing. Although they did mention staying at The Cube in Minneapolis before, which I believe is sort of an underground punk house that puts people up for the night. Definitely not violent though and never asked me for anything besides directions. Interesting stuff.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinerCoffee View Post

We went to the Walgreens yesterday off of East Lake St in Seward and these people were sitting on the sidewalk right near the entry way. The punkish dude had his dog there who was eating dog food in a bowl and they had that same sign "Hungry Broke and traveling."

I don't know what's up with them but I didn't give anything to them. There were some similar beggars in Chicago who were specifically asking for food and my wife gave one of them half of her sandwich from Quiznos. I have no problem with sharing a little food with somebody who is hungry but I hesitate to give a beggar money. Chances are they are going to use the money for booze or drugs...what's the benefit of supporting that?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM

33 posts, read 78,602 times
Kids wanna claim anarchy and independence from the machine while they survive on the scraps from capitalist gains. Accepting gifted money from someone who earned it through working isn't any more independent or anarchist than working a job...

Real heads who want to be independent of the government understand that doesn't mean getting something for nothing.

And people who keep animals they can't care for fkin suck...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
My sister-in-law lives in the Armatage neighborhood of Minneapolis; one of her neighbors spends his days holding a sign by the freeway then comes home to his family and his house. It's not the same group of people you're talking about, I know, but I also find it highly irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul