Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM

207 posts, read 798,623 times

Advertisements

In case anyone is interested, there is a Coen brothers retrospective at the Walker Art Center. It kicks off tonight with a screening of their first film, Blood Simple, followed by a reception. There will also be a "dialogue" with the brothers themselves next week. I think that is sold out though, and the waitlist is members only. The Walker will be showing all of their films to date over the next several weeks. Anyway, here's the link: Joel and Ethan Coen: Raising Cain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
The only movie that tops Fargo is No Country For Old Men.

and I mean that across the board, not just Coen Brothers movies.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 50,912 times
For what it's worth (and that is probably very little!) ... when the Coens won their first Caans festival award, their mother was my art history professor at SCSU. There is no wonder why these guys are as saavy as they are... their mother is one very smart person... and that, folks, is the closest I have ever come to meeting anyone famous... :-D

Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Interesting! I went to the screening of 'Miller's Crossing' last night at The Walker and it was simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedsno View Post
For what it's worth (and that is probably very little!) ... when the Coens won their first Caans festival award, their mother was my art history professor at SCSU. There is no wonder why these guys are as saavy as they are... their mother is one very smart person... and that, folks, is the closest I have ever come to meeting anyone famous... :-D

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM

30 posts, read 106,511 times
The Coen brothers spent about two weeks on my street filming parts of Fargo, and I was able to sneak a peak at them (and a few cast members) from time to time. I really don't understand why some folks are so uptight about the Minnesotan accents in the movie. It's a parody! Joel and Ethan grew up here and understand the many and varied 'Minnesotan dialects' - and obviously enjoyed incorporating a satirical spin on it in Fargo.

My favorite film of theirs is "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".

Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Good point! And I also love 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou'....I'm planning to watch it on the big screen at the Walker on Oct 3rd. The great thing about watching these films in the theater is that you get to experience other people's reactions. It's really a great time so if you are a fan, I highly recommend it!

By the way, the discussion session with the Coens this Sat has been sold out for a long time, so apparently there are a lot of people who are fans of their work and would like to "chat" with or at least be near them for a pretty penny. I myself would like to go but alas, I'm on the waitlist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by opifan View Post
The Coen brothers spent about two weeks on my street filming parts of Fargo, and I was able to sneak a peak at them (and a few cast members) from time to time. I really don't understand why some folks are so uptight about the Minnesotan accents in the movie. It's a parody! Joel and Ethan grew up here and understand the many and varied 'Minnesotan dialects' - and obviously enjoyed incorporating a satirical spin on it in Fargo.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
Good point! And I also love 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou'....I'm planning to watch it on the big screen at the Walker on Oct 3rd. The great thing about watching these films in the theater is that you get to experience other people's reactions. It's really a great time so if you are a fan, I highly recommend it!

By the way, the discussion session with the Coens this Sat has been sold out for a long time, so apparently there are a lot of people who are fans of their work and would like to "chat" with or at least be near them for a pretty penny. I myself would like to go but alas, I'm on the waitlist...
What's the occasion for the showing of OBWAT? Is it related to the Saturday session with the Joel and Ethan? I'm just curious - it sounds interesting! I hope you won't be on the waitlist long - good luck!!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM

Yep, it's part of the retrospective. They are showing all 15 of their films over the next several weeks, and most of the films -- if not all -- are being screened twice. Apparently they do these retrospectives periodically with various directors. It just happens to be the Coen brothers this time.

Quote:
What's the occasion for the showing of OBWAT? Is it related to the Saturday session with the Joel and Ethan? I'm just curious - it sounds interesting! I hope you won't be on the waitlist long - good luck!!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:

You just answered your own question. While the accents are a parody, many Minnesotan's know that. If you're from here, that isn't a surprise since the accents used are so obnoxious. On a national scale, and moreso from the media, the consensus is that THATS HOW IT REALLY IS... and thats what makes people 'uptight'

Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 AM

Hmmm .... I didn't ask the question originally, so I don't understand what your point is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul