Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:39 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times

Advertisements

Alot of people just compare homicide rates but that is just one component of violent crime. If one looks at the violent crime rates for Minneapolis and Detroit they are not that far apart.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
/\ On the converse. The composite crime rate in Detroit is 9003, Mpls is 6583. That puts Mpls behind Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, Detroit, Columbus, Austin, Charlotte, Memphis, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Fort Worth, Seattle, Washington, Nashville, Portland, Oakland, Omaha, Tulsa, Miami, Wichita, Okla, City, Tucson, Albuquerque, Cleveland, Fresno, Kansas City, Sacramento and Atlanta. If fact, of the 50 largest cities, Mpls has 30 cities which are worse, Detroit only has 5. Closing in, sure. Lala Land is too, it's first casualty was the guy who compared Mpls. to Detroit. Omaha must be pretty bad .
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html

Last edited by golfgal; 05-14-2007 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: language

Old 05-13-2007, 09:36 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Those stats are outdated by at least 3 years so alot has probably changed since then.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
Minneapolis had the 2nd highest forcible rape index of all of those cities back in 2003.

The Minneapolis numbers stand out with the violent crime scores in city-data stats.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,170 times
mattden. I'm sorry that you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 AM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
I noticed that Mattden is in Nebraska and moving to Ohio. It's pretty interesting that someone can post a bizarre thread title like this and leave the natives of the city he's blasting wondering "what is this guy talking about?"

Yes, Minneapolis has problems, and yes, there is crime here in the Twin Cities. But WHERE on Earth did you come up with those homicide figures for Mpls saying there were 90 murders in MPLS last year (or was it the year before)?

rcsteiner posted the correct homicide rate for Mpls.

I live in a northern suburb of St. Paul; less than 5 miles from the "horrible" north Mpls. The local papers post the police reports each week for the local suburbs (including some NE Mpls suburbs). Crime and violence here may be an occasional DUI (someone stopped on the interstate); some vandalism, and speeding tickets. I don't live in a gated community, nor do I live a sheltered life. I have relatives that live in North Mpls that I visit fairly often; I am comfortable driving in their neighborhood after dark; and they are comfortable walking in their neighborhood even in the early evenings (they are elderly and not out late at night).

Yes, there were 2 homicides on the buses in Mpls recently; this is not something that has happened here before. As far as I know and understand; these are both still under investigation.

Maybe the Mpls mayor is not your favorite mayor; and you may think that the Mpls police are incompetent; but it's a free country and you are allowed to think and speak what you wish. I just would rather see it be the truth posted here in this type of a forum.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

297 posts, read 841,928 times
So...what are you doing in YOUR city to rid it of its violent ways???

Just staying out of North Mpls?? Right. That's the answer! Get a clue. Stop sitting by complaining and blaming it all on the scary, violent, black people. Get off your butt and make a difference

Old 05-21-2007, 08:27 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
So...what are you doing in YOUR city to rid it of its violent ways???

Just staying out of North Mpls?? Right. That's the answer! Get a clue. Stop sitting by complaining and blaming it all on the scary, violent, black people. Get off your butt and make a difference
I *hope* that isn't aimed at me, 2blessed2stress! I DO try to do things to improve my neighborhood and am working as a volunteer on the transportation issues here in the Twin Cities. I *personally* think that our Cities are lacking a decent commuter system and have been working with various groups to improve both the bus system and find a more viable route for the light rail in St. Paul for nearly 2 years.

I just find that the OP did the Cities a great dis-service with some sensational shock-style posting this topic and thread strictly for the effect.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
out of towners always comment on the lack of police in the city, and its true. My girlfriends mom is from Chicago and when she visited she counted a total of six police cars the five days she was here. That includes drives thru Willard-Hay, Camden, and Downtown.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM

87 posts, read 401,137 times
I have lived in innercity MSP for 20+ years. Too many gangs from Gary, Flint and south Chitown took advantage of the abundance of welfare in MN. The state let them. I saw the increase in crime in the inner city begin in the 80's. However, many very intelligent and goal oriented folks from these same areas came to MSP. Sadly, we never hear about them. Even worse, they were outnumbered. But, I love the city and won't give up. Neither do my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul