Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 PM

13 posts, read 39,640 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about moving to the Minneapolis area. I was checking out some of the towns and was wondering which ones were the best. I really like what Maple Grove has to offer. Does anyone know anything about this town? I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment for under $1200/month. Also, what is the economy like in the area, are there jobs? I work as a janitor at a hospital right now and make around $12/hour. Does anyone know how the pay would compare in the area? Also, here is some more information about me. I am 18 and live in New Jersey so does anyone know where to get a good pizza or bagel up there? lol. I am going to college for a degree in Psychology and was looking into transferring to the University of Minnesota. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
If you attend the University of MN, do not live way up in Maple Grove. Way too far to drive. The Dinkytown area around the college is affordable and safe.

Don't know about the economy for unskilled jobs at this time. From the doom and gloom on the New Jersey board, while Minneapolis does have about a 9% unemployment rate (for those reported, higher unreported) it's probably not as bad as New Jersey.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 PM

actually i believe it's about the same around 9%

Old 08-23-2009, 02:56 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Love Maple Grove but it is a hike from the U. Maple Grove is a growing suburb, it seems like there's a lot going on there. It's more of a family suburb, not a place I'd recommend to a young college student.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM

so what are the best places for college students in the area

Old 08-23-2009, 04:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
What are you looking for in a city or neighborhood? Maple Grove and Plymouth are two of the absolute last places I would expect a college student, especially a potential U student, to look (unless they had a job out there, or family, or some pressing reason) as they're pretty family-oriented modern suburbs and not convenient to school.

The neighborhoods around the U are very student-oriented, and with your budget you could get something very nice. You could also try somewhere like Uptown or Whittier; both are popular with young people, although aren't student neighborhoods. There's a far greater mix of ages and people. Those areas areas aren't suburban, though. While some college students certainly do live in the suburbs, they're not really hotbeds of much student action. If you wanted a more modern place not in the city but still closer in (and near Uptown and the lakes) you could look at St. Louis Park.

I guess my main question is what led you to Plymouth or Maple Grove to begin with. Style of housing, type of suburb, something else? If you can be a bit more specific we can give you some more targeted suggestions.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

well, i figured that minneapolis is probably too expensive itself so i just started to look at the places around it. I want something that is fast paced and a decently nice place. I didnt realize that those places weren't good for a college student. thats why im on here to find out where is

Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
River,

I second the request for a good pizza place. No offense but a local place with something even close to a New York style pizza.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverg View Post
so what are the best places for college students in the area

If you want walkable to the college, then Dinkytown is it. That neighborhood is full of college students. Also, it seems like a fun place to live for someone who is a student as there are places to go, such as coffee shops, pizza joints, cheap restaurants etc. As a newcomer to Mpls, in addition to the drive from the suburbs, you would feel isolated out there, IMO.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 PM

202 posts, read 429,481 times
I second dinkytown, or as I mentioned in other threads...the 7 corners area. Those are the best places if your a student at the U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul