Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

207 posts, read 794,457 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your input. I wonder if there is anything comparable to Boca Chica in Minneapolis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer John View Post
I can speak to some of the St. Paul choices. You're right, El Burrito Mercado is basically a cafeteria line. That said it's in a really cool, bustling, vibrant market stocked with authentic goods. But you probably won't get the sit down environment you may be looking for. Boca Chica and La Fonda would be better for that. Boca Chica can sometimes get the after work happy hour type of vibe depending when you go but it's still good and has a decent sized menu. La Fonda's menu is smaller and the atmosphere is much more quaint. They do serve some tasty, less common food/drink though in my opinion. I've only had it once but it gets my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 PM

What about Masa on Eat Street?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 AM

540 posts, read 1,089,289 times
Overpriced stuff made for people working in the nearby office buildings with expense accounts to burn. About four blocks away south on Nicollet is Salsa Al A Salsa, which is really solid IMO. I might be a bit biased since I only live about 2 blocks from there, but a favorite hangover cure is to get one of their combo platters.

There's a bunch of good Mexican/Latin places if you go down Eat Street, and also on Lake Street west from Nicollet.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM

I think we might go with El Paraiso, or just browse Eat Street.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
You can call me the Lake St Mexican restaurant guru. It's self proclaimed but I live a few blocks away and we've been to most of them over the last year and half.

The best sitdown Mexican restaurant I've found on Lake St is Nuevo Rodeo (the restaurant/bar on the first floor, not the club upstairs). We found the service, food and atmosphere to be very pleasant...good prices too.

I've had fairly mixed experiences with places like La Que Buena, Las Mojarras, La Poblanita, etc. These all kind of have that cantina type of feel, some shadier figures, lots of drinking and/or loud karaoke music. They aren't very date friendly I think is what I'm trying to say. That isn't to say you won't find fairly authentic food there.

Some other notes:
-I have yet to dine at Guayaquil Restaurant or New York Latin Restaurant on Lake St but both look like they have potential.

-Places like Manny's Tortas, Taqueria Los Ocampo, Taco Taxi, Taqueria La Hacienda are excellent for a quick fix but aren't sitdown date places.

-Do not go to Little Tijuana in the Nicollet Ave "Eat Street" area if you're looking for authentic Mexican. It's about as authentic as Taco Bell.'

-Like I already mentioned, Mercado Central is highly recommended, but once again it's more of a cafeteria style setting, not a quiet sit down date type of place.

-The only other Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in the Eat Street area is Pancho Villas. It's a pretty cool place and may meet your criteria for a sit down date atmosphere. Just make sure it isn't at night on weekends because it can get a little rowdy there. If you want to hear good Mexican Ranchero karaoke though, it's worth checking out. I was there with some friends once and I saw a guy who was so drunk he fell out of one of those high bar stools. It was very cartoonesque, let me tell you.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the tips! Just wondering, have you been to El Paraiso?

Nuevo Rodeo seems like a good place. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You can call me the Lake St Mexican restaurant guru. It's self proclaimed but I live a few blocks away and we've been to most of them over the last year and half.

The best sitdown Mexican restaurant I've found on Lake St is Nuevo Rodeo (the restaurant/bar on the first floor, not the club upstairs). We found the service, food and atmosphere to be very pleasant...good prices too.

I've had fairly mixed experiences with places like La Que Buena, Las Mojarras, La Poblanita, etc. These all kind of have that cantina type of feel, some shadier figures, lots of drinking and/or loud karaoke music. They aren't very date friendly I think is what I'm trying to say. That isn't to say you won't find fairly authentic food there.

Some other notes:
-I have yet to dine at Guayaquil Restaurant or New York Latin Restaurant on Lake St but both look like they have potential.

-Places like Manny's Tortas, Taqueria Los Ocampo, Taco Taxi, Taqueria La Hacienda are excellent for a quick fix but aren't sitdown date places.

-Do not go to Little Tijuana in the Nicollet Ave "Eat Street" area if you're looking for authentic Mexican. It's about as authentic as Taco Bell.'

-Like I already mentioned, Mercado Central is highly recommended, but once again it's more of a cafeteria style setting, not a quiet sit down date type of place.

-The only other Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in the Eat Street area is Pancho Villas. It's a pretty cool place and may meet your criteria for a sit down date atmosphere. Just make sure it isn't at night on weekends because it can get a little rowdy there. If you want to hear good Mexican Ranchero karaoke though, it's worth checking out. I was there with some friends once and I saw a guy who was so drunk he fell out of one of those high bar stools. It was very cartoonesque, let me tell you.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:56 PM

540 posts, read 1,089,289 times
El Paraiso is very good. Before they moved into the spot (former Superamerica store) there was a bunch of other Mexican/Latin places. El Paraiso has been there for about 6 years and have been able to renovate the property, which I think says a lot for the quality of their food, especially given the fairly high amount of Latinos in the area. The caveat that I would offer is that the neighborhood can get kind of sketchy at night. It's certainly improved over the last few years, but honestly, I wouldn't want to be caught waiting on Nicollet for the #18 after 10 PM or so.

Quote:
The only other Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in the Eat Street area is Pancho Villas. It's a pretty cool place and may meet your criteria for a sit down date atmosphere. Just make sure it isn't at night on weekends because it can get a little rowdy there. If you want to hear good Mexican Ranchero karaoke though, it's worth checking out. I was there with some friends once and I saw a guy who was so drunk he fell out of one of those high bar stools. It was very cartoonesque, let me tell you.
Well, that's what 2-for-1 drinks will do for ya I dig the place, but I'm the kind of guy that likes cervezas with my burritos :b

Old 09-25-2009, 04:17 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
I've never been to El Paraiso, I'll have to check it out.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,737,154 times
I love Pancho Villa. Its like the mexican equivalent of Red Dragon...meaning a respectable amount of their patrons visit it just for drinks rather than the food.

Little T's is comical. Here is a review I posted of them once:

Going here when Pancho Villa is like 500 feet away is nearly as sacrilegious as praying to the thieves crucified next to Christ.

The whole punk/anarchist motif is laughable when you are greeted with a laundry list of do's and dont's at your table. Oh, and other than that they have worthless food. I guess its good that they are open late, so if you get into an argument with a friend over what has the worst Mexican in the city, you can prove it after bar close.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM

21 posts, read 18,349 times
In Minneapolis try Adelitas :: Adelitas Mexican Restaurant :: All your Mexican dishes and flavors at one place the pork in adobo sauce is excellent. Stay away from Boca Chicas, Nuevo Rodeo and El Paraiso(nothing special) about any of them. I love real Mexcian food and spend a lot of time in Phoenix and Las Vegas trying out different Mexican taco stands. Adelitas will fit your desire for a sit down Mexican joint. Order a glass of Horchata it is very good. They also have a bakery at Central and 43rd or 44th ave next to Chets Shoes it is the best Mexican Bakery in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul