Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 AM

103 posts, read 233,087 times

Advertisements

When I first lived in Minneapolis in 1994, this area was very different. Then, it encountered quite a transformation. But, when I left Minneapolis, things were changing in this particular corner area.

Can responders give an update about the developments in this area? What is in the news about it?

Particularly Calhoun Square. I remember when this place was jumping, then office space was to go upstairs, then something happened and tenants started pulling out - high rents, new management. I am curious what is happening with it now.

Also, anyone been in Lund's recently on Lake Street? That place was jumping in 2000 and a few years beyond. Then, things happened there, too. So, I am wondering if it has rebounded or do more people flock to the Kowalski's. The opening of Kowalski's some years back did affect Lund's to a certain degree.

And, while on it, did a Lunds open downtown?

For many years I did love Minneapolis, but the cold was getting to me, the winters particularly. I don't believe I will ever live in Minneapolis again, but if people are younger and want to try it out for awhile, that may be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Lunds is still alive and doing well, and is always busy whenever I'm in there. They'll probably be doing even better next year, as Rainbow on Lake will be closed for a year because they're building a new building. Calhoun Square looks a lot different now, as it is undergoing major renovation and expansion. Kitchen Window has a huge new space, Borders is out, and unfortunately the Lotus/Orr Books building (and the stores) aren't there anymore. Across the street Magers and Quinn is bigger and better than it was in the '90s. The other major recent Uptown news is that the Uptown Bar closed; the owner (of building and bar) sold, and the building is being replaced. They still may relocate the Bar itself to another location in the neighborhood. The Walker Library is slated for a renovation or new building, possibly on another site within the neighborhood. There have been a lot of new condo buildings built along Lake Street, as well as around Lyn-Lake; next time you're in Town make a point to get over closer to Lyndale, as that area has changed even more dramatically than Uptown. (for the better, I think, although hopefully they can manage to balance new development and business without forcing out the small stores and businesses that make it so attractive).

For updates on developments check out the webite Our Uptown. Click on the "Community" page and you'll see a "Development" section; he posts renderings and details there as he gets them.

Also check out the fairly recent Uptown Small Area Plan for lots of additional details: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped/uptown-plan.asp It includes photos of some of the new developments, as well as sort of sums up much of the '00s. The big debate in Uptown is always about height and what's appropriate where. There was a big battle recently over a new building at the corner of Lake and Knox.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Lunds is still alive and doing well, and is always busy whenever I'm in there. They'll probably be doing even better next year, as Rainbow on Lake will be closed for a year because they're building a new building. Calhoun Square looks a lot different now, as it is undergoing major renovation and expansion. Kitchen Window has a huge new space, Borders is out, and unfortunately the Lotus/Orr Books building (and the stores) aren't there anymore. Across the street Magers and Quinn is bigger and better than it was in the '90s. The other major recent Uptown news is that the Uptown Bar closed; the owner (of building and bar) sold, and the building is being replaced. They still may relocate the Bar itself to another location in the neighborhood. The Walker Library is slated for a renovation or new building, possibly on another site within the neighborhood. There have been a lot of new condo buildings built along Lake Street, as well as around Lyn-Lake; next time you're in Town make a point to get over closer to Lyndale, as that area has changed even more dramatically than Uptown. (for the better, I think, although hopefully they can manage to balance new development and business without forcing out the small stores and businesses that make it so attractive).

For updates on developments check out the webite Our Uptown. Click on the "Community" page and you'll see a "Development" section; he posts renderings and details there as he gets them.

Also check out the fairly recent Uptown Small Area Plan for lots of additional details: Uptown Small Area Plan It includes photos of some of the new developments, as well as sort of sums up much of the '00s. The big debate in Uptown is always about height and what's appropriate where. There was a big battle recently over a new building at the corner of Lake and Knox.
Hey, thanks for all this information. I will look at those links. Although Lunds may attract more business with Rainbow out of a year, I think that could affect quite a few people who prefer the Rainbow prices. I was a Rainbow shopper.

I'm not surprised about Orr bookstore. It was not doing well a few years ago. It had a small selection - a more specific type of bookstore. Borders I knew was gone quite a few years ago. I think that was a management issue.

The Walker library was a problem when I lived there. It was new building then, but from day one had structural issues.

As for the condo developments, I would say in a way that created a problem for the Uptown I remember when I first moved there. And, I suspect many are vacant, or being sold, too - the units. Too high a price.

When I left, Lyn-Lake was transforming, but I look forward to seeing it again. And, I agree, a balance is in order since the small stores to make it very attractive. When I arrived in Mpls in 1994, this area was not doing very good.

I remember the downtown area on Nicollet back in the 90s, with all the little stores. Then Target went in, and many of those stores were out. They fought it all they could, and some have definitely said it kind of ruined Nicollet downtown.

I know when I visit I will love this thriving area again. Especially since Albuquerque and New Mexico can be lacking in this development, and I will be returning to New Mexico. But, I also know I could not hack the Minnesota weather, again, too.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Condos (both the new and the conversion of apartments into condos) have both pros and cons; on the one hand, the newer places increased the housing options in the neighborhood, which I think is overall a good thing. The conversion of older buildings in some cases pushed out residents, but also provided more affordable (than single family homes, that is) options to own in Uptown, and are a nice option for those who want to own but don't want to buy a house. Overall condos are just another form of ownership. In the short-term the condo boom had problems, but overall I think it will be a good thing for the city and neighborhood.

Another change I forgot to mention was that there is a CVS coming in across the street from Rainbow; I don't know what their food selection will be like, but it might be that they'll boost it for the duration of the Rainbow construction. Lunds is generally more expensive (although they have some good deals at times), but for me there's the blend of convenience versus price (I don't drive). There's also now a Trader Joe's not that far away, in St. Louis Park, which might benefit. Those who drive and don't want to go to Kowalski's or Lund's will probably just drive to a Cub or Rainbow. Less convenient, but not a big deal for anyone with a car. There's also a Supervalu near Nicollet and Lake, although I think anyone with a car would probably choose to go somewhere nicer and with better prices.

Oh, and there's a Paper Source where Morris and Christies used to be. I can't remember when that happened, but I think it was earlier this decade. Morris and Christies was another one of those places that had been there forever. While I miss M&C, Paper Source has really made good use of the building. It looks great.

Until pretty recently it looked like Uptown had a shot at a LRT station, which would have been very, very good for the area, and would have helped with traffic. Unfortunately looks like the chosen route will be more of a pure commuter route, although it will go through some other neighborhoods/destinations, like Hopkins and parts of St. Louis Park. Still, I think it was a missed opportunity to more easily connect Uptown (and Lyn-Lake, and Whittier) with the SW suburbs and downtown.

I was living in other states for a good portion of the decade, and every time I came back to visit there was something new happening, both bad and good. I'm not yet sure what I think about the new Calhoun Square redevelopments, but it definitely needed a change. Kitchen Window has greatly expanded, and Bay Street Shoes (a store that's been there since Calhoun Square's opening in '84) has taken the opportunity to expand.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Condos (both the new and the conversion of apartments into condos) have both pros and cons; on the one hand, the newer places increased the housing options in the neighborhood, which I think is overall a good thing. The conversion of older buildings in some cases pushed out residents, but also provided more affordable (than single family homes, that is) options to own in Uptown, and are a nice option for those who want to own but don't want to buy a house. Overall condos are just another form of ownership. In the short-term the condo boom had problems, but overall I think it will be a good thing for the city and neighborhood.

Another change I forgot to mention was that there is a CVS coming in across the street from Rainbow; I don't know what their food selection will be like, but it might be that they'll boost it for the duration of the Rainbow construction. Lunds is generally more expensive (although they have some good deals at times), but for me there's the blend of convenience versus price (I don't drive). There's also now a Trader Joe's not that far away, in St. Louis Park, which might benefit. Those who drive and don't want to go to Kowalski's or Lund's will probably just drive to a Cub or Rainbow. Less convenient, but not a big deal for anyone with a car. There's also a Supervalu near Nicollet and Lake, although I think anyone with a car would probably choose to go somewhere nicer and with better prices.

Oh, and there's a Paper Source where Morris and Christies used to be. I can't remember when that happened, but I think it was earlier this decade. Morris and Christies was another one of those places that had been there forever. While I miss M&C, Paper Source has really made good use of the building. It looks great.

Until pretty recently it looked like Uptown had a shot at a LRT station, which would have been very, very good for the area, and would have helped with traffic. Unfortunately looks like the chosen route will be more of a pure commuter route, although it will go through some other neighborhoods/destinations, like Hopkins and parts of St. Louis Park. Still, I think it was a missed opportunity to more easily connect Uptown (and Lyn-Lake, and Whittier) with the SW suburbs and downtown.

I was living in other states for a good portion of the decade, and every time I came back to visit there was something new happening, both bad and good. I'm not yet sure what I think about the new Calhoun Square redevelopments, but it definitely needed a change. Kitchen Window has greatly expanded, and Bay Street Shoes (a store that's been there since Calhoun Square's opening in '84) has taken the opportunity to expand.
Hey, I have more comments about some things above in your post, but for right now, I am curious about something - are the restaurants and stores on Hennepin near 22nd street still around - say the Blockbuster, the Starbucks, and other establishments. I am aware that Minneapolis Floral closed down, and did something else move in there?

Although I had a license since I was 16, and always kept up my license for all those years in Minneapolis without a car, I got around pretty well without the car in Uptown, going to Downtown, other places nearby. But, it did seem that my trips took twice as long (and I realized that when I got the car that I had so much more time to spare, say, after a return from the grocery store.) Having a car is an expense, but it sure has come in handy from time to time, too.

I'll have more responses about your post since I found it very interesting - later this evening.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM

I admit that I don't get up as far as 22nd as much as I used to, but yes, Blockbuster and Starbucks are still there. Liquor Lyle's is still there, although is now hipster-central (although was trending that way for a long time, I think). If you knew Meg Tuthill of Tuthill's she just got elected to City Council. I can't think of what's in the Minneapolis Floral site right now; I'll try to remember to pay attention.

Your comment about the car issue reminds me of the other mid-2000s shift: Uptown (and the Twin Cities in general) now has car sharing; there are two HOURCAR locations in Uptown (by the YWCA and in the Calhoun Square lot) plus other spots throughout the area so it's easier than ever for people (in some neighborhoods, anyway) to get by without a car. It doesn't work for everyone, but for people who don't need one for work or school but do want easy access to one for errands or nights out it's a fairly affordable compromise. There aren't enough of the cars scattered throughout every residential area yet to be a viable option for that many people, but they've been expanding and it seems like a success. I don't know any regular users in Minneapolis yet, but have friends in cities like DC and Boston (with more established car share programs) who swear by them.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I admit that I don't get up as far as 22nd as much as I used to, but yes, Blockbuster and Starbucks are still there. Liquor Lyle's is still there, although is now hipster-central (although was trending that way for a long time, I think). If you knew Meg Tuthill of Tuthill's she just got elected to City Council. I can't think of what's in the Minneapolis Floral site right now; I'll try to remember to pay attention.

Your comment about the car issue reminds me of the other mid-2000s shift: Uptown (and the Twin Cities in general) now has car sharing; there are two HOURCAR locations in Uptown (by the YWCA and in the Calhoun Square lot) plus other spots throughout the area so it's easier than ever for people (in some neighborhoods, anyway) to get by without a car. It doesn't work for everyone, but for people who don't need one for work or school but do want easy access to one for errands or nights out it's a fairly affordable compromise. There aren't enough of the cars scattered throughout every residential area yet to be a viable option for that many people, but they've been expanding and it seems like a success. I don't know any regular users in Minneapolis yet, but have friends in cities like DC and Boston (with more established car share programs) who swear by them.
I'm quite familiar with Liquor Lyle's, although I've never set foot in the place. I lived in that area for many years - on Colfax and Bryant near 24th. I remember when Paper Source first opened up next to Sudz, then they relocated.

And, I knew that M & C closed. It was closed when I left.

I think the area and developers got overzealous with the condo thing, and certainly saw some good apartments go bad when they turned condo. Certainly puts out a lot of people. I could tell from the foreclosure listings what apartments turned condo were affected.

As for CVS, I don't remember them having food in them. They are like a Walgreens, actually Walgreen's major competitor, and probably more expensive. I'm not a CVS fan, although they are based on the East Coast, and I have seen them there in the past.

I'm glad to hear that Lunds is doing well again. I remember when things started to go bad around 2002 for them - and they lost some business, and the managers up until that time sort of were shifted around. I would go in there before I left in 2007 and discover business was really down, so things do sound like they turned around.

I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised when I revisit Minneapolis in a month or so. But, I know I wouldn't be able to take the cold again to consider living in Minneapolis again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul