Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 AM

44 posts, read 186,096 times

Advertisements

the southwest light rail will not travel through uptown an area with a population density of 15,000 per square mile. often busses gets stuck in traffic during rush hour and i was surprised to see the southwest light rail take an alternate route. the northstar commuter rail is going to open in november and i noticed the northstar corrider has a population of around 900,000 people and there will only be 5 trains heading to downtown minneapolis in the morning and in the late afternoon noon just 5 trains leaving downtown. that does not seem to be enough trains for the corridor of nearly a million people it just seems to be a waste of time and money. i know it cost alot of money to build rail transit but it should be done right the first time even if its cost more then what the state wants to spend. i also heard that a street car might run from the hiawatha lightrail to the southwest lightrail, has anybody heard anything on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
The streetcar is only a distant possibility. It may or may not happen, and even if it does it's not happening anytime soon. The SW LRT line is not a done deal, and I'm still hoping (although the chances are slim) that it will come through Uptown. As far as the northstar line, that's commuter rail and is a different thing than buses, trains, or light rail (although in the TC people seem to be treating the SW LRT route like it's a commuter rail route, but that's a different story...). While I hope that there will be so much demand that they will indeed be able to expand their route and run times, it's pretty typical (even in major metropolitan areas with higher population as well as more established public transit usage patterns) to have fairly limited numbers of commuter trains running. It works, though, and I hope it works equally well for the northstar line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul