Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,174 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single guy from Eagan in my late 20s, and I'm looking for a church in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area to go to. I grew up Protestant (Presbyterian), but I'd be open to any orthodox Christian church (Protestant, Catholic, etc). I haven't really been a church-goer since I was a teenager.

Just to be honest and up front about this, I have two reasons for doing this: I want to reconnect with my religion (I've only been reading occasionally and doing personal stuff since college) and meet new people my age to broaden my social circle.

I'd like one that:
* is theologically & culturally conservative, but not too conservative (i.e. Bible is inerrant and infallible, but not always literal; doesn't pick & choose or read stuff into the Bible; not fundamentalist; anti-abortion, etc.).
* has a good number of young adults (ages 22-30, at least some singles) who socialize with one another.
* has social things to do where I could meet people (events, Bible studies, etc.).

I'm open to a megachurch, but my sense is that I'd like something more traditional/medium-sized.

Distance isn't too important to me; I'm willing to drive a ways if I need to.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 PM

279 posts, read 756,826 times
I don't know of any churches that aren't conservative, all of them are anti-abortion. Such a thing may not actually exist.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,174 times
Thanks for your reply, Wellstone.

I guess the ideology question isn't as important to me, since I think it will be easier for me to find out about that myself. I'm most interested in the latter two parts, since it's harder to judge how many social events occur and how many members are in their twenties, as an outsider.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM

679 posts, read 1,794,139 times
Wellstone, Unitarian Universalist and Congregationalist churches are quite liberal. There are a few around the TC.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
Maybe Wellstone meant that it's tough to find a church that was, as described by the OP, "theologically and culturally conservative, but not too conservative"? Not sure about that, but agree with cinnamon_toast that the Twin Cities certainly have plenty of liberal churches to go around.

If you want Christianity plus a lot of social events geared at people your age (but are willing to give up the traditional part) you could check out the Rock in Uptown; I'm not religious and therefore have absolutely no personal experience with this church but their target audience is younger and single Christian people. They don't have a set church location, and I think they have multiple locations in the TC, too, although they might have different names. Their website has some details about their ideology, too.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
I don't know of any churches that aren't conservative, all of them are anti-abortion. Such a thing may not actually exist.
It's quite possible to be totally opposed to abortion and yet be quite liberal in general.

Many Catholics and Catholic churches are.
Of course, many aren't,its pretty obvious after a couple masses which are which as a rule.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,161,818 times
I think the best way to go about it is to just go and sit in. In your shoes I'd look for churches in an area with a lot of singles. I think you'll have more luck downtown than in Eagan. You just can't get a good sense for the feel of a church online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul