U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,309 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, but thought I would try here for some help. I am considering opening a childcare center in St. Paul, or one of the surrounding suburbs. I was just wondering if you had any recommendations for an area that may be in need of one? I've studied the demographics, but I thought personal opinions would also be very helpful.
I am looking for somewhere that is upper-middle class, with a small town feel, and yet I would still have access to numerous points of interest (like shopping, zoos, etc.). What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,630,895 times
Good daycare is in short supply pretty much everywhere. I know of a few people in our area that had a very hard time finding daycare-especially for infants. We live in Rosemount and this area would have what you are looking for, small town feel, close to shopping, zoo, etc. The population here is climbing and a lot of young families moving into the area so daycare would be an issue for many.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM

88 posts, read 284,082 times
If you have questions about child care a good place to start is with the MN Child Care Resource & Referral Network for some general information, then check with your local resource and referral agency (http://mnchildcare.org/ccrrmap.php - broken link) (or whatever area you are looking to open your business in) for more specific questions. If they don't have answers they should be able to point you in the right direction.

And as far as locating quality child care, a few areas of MN (including Minneapolis and St. Paul) are currently piloting a quality rating system called Parent Aware that is expected to go statewide in the future.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,309 times
Thank you both, that is a big help. I have been really looking at Rosemount, since it is growing so quickly and seems to have a fairly young population, but there are very little commercial buildings that would be feasible there. I could also build, but location would be key, and I just don't know the area well enough yet. I'll check out those sources you mentioned John, and maybe they can help me out.
Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,630,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn3640 View Post
Thank you both, that is a big help. I have been really looking at Rosemount, since it is growing so quickly and seems to have a fairly young population, but there are very little commercial buildings that would be feasible there. I could also build, but location would be key, and I just don't know the area well enough yet. I'll check out those sources you mentioned John, and maybe they can help me out.
Thanks again!
Rosemount isn't all that spread out so you aren't more then 2 miles from anything in town so location is only somewhat important. I know there is a vacant lot near the theater on Chippendale that would be a good location with a lot of space to put play equipment, etc. It is right next to the new school district office. There is another day care not far from there too but that shouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul