Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 03:22 AM

12 posts, read 28,619 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Minnetonka next month and have been weighing choices for TV and internet services. It seems the choice is between Qwest and Comcast (both bundling local, long distance, TV, and internet). But then I start thinking about whether I really want/need a land line phone. And then I wonder if DirecTV is sufficiently reliable. And then I wonder about Comcasts' phone service (is it Voice over Internet?). I also looked at Velocity, but I don't see a big price advantage there and it would be more convenient to bundle TV into this deal. And then there's the digital vs HD equation. I'm sure there's other options/choices I haven't even thought of.

I don't know. It's like standing a giant buffet table an being overwhelmed by the choices when you'd be happiest with a decent burger and a nice bowl of chili! Thanks in advance for any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences to help me decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 AM

32 posts, read 98,420 times
Hey there Stanorth,
Just to answer some of your questions/concerns:

On Directv, I have never had a problem with them out here, even during bad storms (snow and rain). I did have to clear the snow off my dish once, but that is it in over 3 years.

On Comcast, the phone service in VOIP.

If you have an HD tv, then it is worth getting the HD programming through Directv or Comcast. Directv is 100% digital (since it is satellite) and if you have a cable box, most of the channels on Comcast will be also.

The two main choices here in the Twin Cities are Qwest/Directv or Comcast. I have not heard of Velocity before, so I do not know much about them.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
In our area we can't get Quest or Comcast--we are stuck with Charter or one of the dish companies. I prefer cable we we have Dish Network and DSL through Frontier because of the horrible experience we had with Charter. We haven't had any problems with Dish Network. One of our boxes will go out with storms but the other one is fine-no idea why. Our DSL service is very fast, which concerned me after having cable internet. The problem with having satellite and DSL is that you have to keep a landline for the DSL so it ends up costing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul