Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Minnesota has been good to me for the last six years but I feel like it is maybe time to move on! I really like the people of the Twin Cities but I feel like sometimes they can be very brainwashed and radical sometimes.

I am not a Democrat or Republican like my name suggests but there is a lot of intolerance towards people who are not your typical Left-Liberal-PC- Diversity-tolerance-kumbaya type of person.

I remember taking a "Community Organizing" course at Metro State and the professors were some of the most biased Leftists I have ever met, later I realized that they used that course as a way to further their radical Leftist views and brainwash the students.

Also, all the people who held more Centrist views like myself or leaned more towards the Right were immediately discriminated or seen as "evil" or "intolerant"

Another thing I notice about many people here in the Twin Cities is that many people here live their lives in total denial, like when we talk about the brutal winters, the outrageous taxes, crime and all the problems of these cities, they ALWAYS try to justify it like "Well, our taxes are high but we have good schools", "The winters are not too bad", " Crime here is very low" etc

They don't even realize that the government has been screwing them for so long, yet they just sit around quietly and accept it (Unfortunately, Swedish people are the same way)

Anyways, I just wanted to express how I feel, if you choose to delete this thread, go right ahead, it will just perfectly support the original point of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
neat!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

Another thing I notice about many people here in the Twin Cities is that many people here live their lives in total denial, like when we talk about the brutal winters, the outrageous taxes, crime and all the problems of these cities, they ALWAYS try to justify it like "Well, our taxes are high but we have good schools", "The winters are not too bad", " Crime here is very low" etc
"The winters are not too bad". I like that one. I barely survived three weeks in July in Minnesota this past year it was so cold.

The last year I lived in MN was when I graduated university. I was one of those persons in denial. Now I say 'The winter wasn't too bad' if it doesn't get down to 8 degrees: celsius that is. I just have to listen to Garrison Keillor on ABC Radio to remember why I left.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:35 PM

159 posts, read 626,195 times
Yeah, it's probably time to leave. If you move to a place, you've got to accept it for what it is or leave. For instance, as much as I've enjoyed Seattle, I just keep getting irritated by Seattleites, so I'm moving back to the Midwest after three years away. When I moved, I kept trying to find pieces of home, but they weren't there -- it's Seattle, after all, not home. Instead of trying to fit into my new city, I just kept getting more and more homesick and more and more irritated (even though on the surface I fit in just fine).

As for the winters, if you grow up in a place where bitter cold winters are the norm, than those bitter cold winters really don't seem so bad. It's just winter; it is what it is. Until I left, I honestly never realized that even other states that have four seasons don't have winters as cold as those in the Midwest.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 AM

109 posts, read 335,376 times
well said repubocrat, well said.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 43,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
crime and all the problems of these cities

care to elaborate on what "all these problems" are? Or even how crime is an issue here?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Later Repubocrat, don't let the state line hit you on your way out!

P.S.- I probably shouldn't even be saying anything, but since you're now on to us, you might want to pack up before the black vans full of liberal gestapo swing by your house- if that happens, not only will you never want to leave the state because it has such good schools, you might someday find yourself chanting at a rally supporting a woman's freedom of choice or the right to healthcare for poor people...go now before it's too late!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM

52 posts, read 194,789 times
I live in Jacksonville Florida and my experience is the exact opposite of what you described.

The locals are very conservative and they can't imagine anyone being
anything else. Lame racial slurs because there is no mixed company.

Very hot 5 to 6 months long summers.

Lowish taxes and terrible schools, parks, pretty bad crime and bad services to show for it.

We've given it 5 years and we are moving on. And Minneapolis is at the top of our list. Crazy.

Perhaps there's a middle ground??? Good luck in finding a new city.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
When I visited Mpls last spring and told people I was thinking of relocating, the first thing I was told by everyone was to be prepared for the harsh winters. No one ever tried to minimize them to me. I appreciated the honesty.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Everyone knows the winters suck. But they aren't that bad... Step back a little and take a look, if you're working full time you rarely have to deal with the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul