Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 AM

174 posts, read 470,041 times

Advertisements

i agree, i didn't think it was south hs either. I thought maybe the clip where they chase the little kids could have been powderhorn park though

Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I just DMed you about this to give my thoughts, albeit I'm not too sure what he did outside of speak to the media (if there were other things, however, I probably would have been aware of them at some point or another).
Thank you.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's okay to talk about the Somali connection within reason and context, but let's not turn this thread into a bash Somali immigrants discussion, please.

For one thing, violence in the Twin Cities is hardly isolated to only Somali youth.
There are all kinds of gangs in the TC area.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
There are all kinds of gangs, but not all of the recent violence or crimes (the muggings, harassing of people riding on the Greenway, etc.) is related to gangs, either.

It's not related to race or ethnicity, either, for that matter, although in this particular case these kids happen to be Somali, so hopefully some of the Somali-specific organizations in town can figure out an effective way to use their resources to combat crime in the Somali community. (acknowledging, of course, that the Somali "community" is itself extremely broad and diverse)

Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Anyone know the latest on whether or not they've arrested more of these kids? I haven't seen it lately in the news, although may have just missed it.

This video and the stabbed mugger (also a teen) on the Greenway all happened in the same short time period. Obviously in this particular case it was a group of Somali kids and I hope that the Somali organizations and community is using this as an opportunity to make clear to their kids (and parents) that this sort of thing is unacceptable.

Does anyone know if South High School has or is doing anything to address any of these issues with their students? South certainly isn't the only school with criminal kids, and I'm not sure if the kids in this video went there (although am guessing some did, as they filmed some of it near there), but the stabbed mugger was a South student. Given the flurry of high-profile public acts of violence involving their students it seems like the school should address it somehow.
Three of the kids are students at Johnson High on the East Side of St Paul.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
There are all kinds of gangs, but not all of the recent violence or crimes (the muggings, harassing of people riding on the Greenway, etc.) is related to gangs, either.

It's not related to race or ethnicity, either, for that matter, although in this particular case these kids happen to be Somali, so hopefully some of the Somali-specific organizations in town can figure out an effective way to use their resources to combat crime in the Somali community. (acknowledging, of course, that the Somali "community" is itself extremely broad and diverse)
so if its not related to race ethic background or gangs what did i just see? a terrible misunderstanding? help me out.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
so if its not related to race ethic background or gangs what did i just see? a terrible misunderstanding? help me out.
There's plenty of evidence that there are lots of criminals out there who are not Somali. Not to constantly bring up the other recent Greenway incident, but that the kid who was stabbed was Native American, not Somali. I knew white kids in high school who were criminals.

And it's also clear that not every criminal in town is a member of a gang. I don't know about the kids in this particular case. Gangs are obviously an issue, but thugs don't need to be affiliated with a gang to go out and start robbing or attacking people.

As for these particular kids, they were obviously Somali, but that wasn't in itself the reason they attacked people, and their vicitms don't seem to have been selected for their race.

In other words, this particular incident involved a group of Somali kids, but the poster brought up gangs "of all kinds," and as far as I know (although I don't know the latest) this wasn't gang-related. It was a group of kids seemingly lacking any kind of morals or decency, but it's ridiculous to suggest that the only kids (or adults) in town with that problem come from Somalia.

To say that violence and criminal kids is not a Somali-only problem, or that this may not be an example of a gang (a group of kids, certainly, but gangs have a more formal definition) doesn't in any way excuse these kids for what they did, or mean that the Somali community shouldn't address what's going on for some of their youth. It does mean that we can just write off all violence/crime as purely a Somali or a gang problem, as that's not accurate and it doesn't help solve any problems. A Somali gang problem is one piece of a bigger puzzle.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 PM

292 posts, read 891,195 times
Quote:

Does anyone know if South High School has or is doing anything to address any of these issues with their students? South certainly isn't the only school with criminal kids, and I'm not sure if the kids in this video went there (although am guessing some did, as they filmed some of it near there), but the stabbed mugger was a South student. Given the flurry of high-profile public acts of violence involving their students it seems like the school should address it somehow.
My wife is a teacher at South HS. As far as she and the administration know none of the kids from the video are students there.

Some of the kids in the video are related to or friends of students at South but none are students there.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
There's plenty of evidence that there are lots of criminals out there who are not Somali. Not to constantly bring up the other recent Greenway incident, but that the kid who was stabbed was Native American, not Somali. I knew white kids in high school who were criminals.

And it's also clear that not every criminal in town is a member of a gang. I don't know about the kids in this particular case. Gangs are obviously an issue, but thugs don't need to be affiliated with a gang to go out and start robbing or attacking people.

As for these particular kids, they were obviously Somali, but that wasn't in itself the reason they attacked people, and their vicitms don't seem to have been selected for their race.

In other words, this particular incident involved a group of Somali kids, but the poster brought up gangs "of all kinds," and as far as I know (although I don't know the latest) this wasn't gang-related. It was a group of kids seemingly lacking any kind of morals or decency, but it's ridiculous to suggest that the only kids (or adults) in town with that problem come from Somalia.

To say that violence and criminal kids is not a Somali-only problem, or that this may not be an example of a gang (a group of kids, certainly, but gangs have a more formal definition) doesn't in any way excuse these kids for what they did, or mean that the Somali community shouldn't address what's going on for some of their youth. It does mean that we can just write off all violence/crime as purely a Somali or a gang problem, as that's not accurate and it doesn't help solve any problems. A Somali gang problem is one piece of a bigger puzzle.
i appreciate the attempt to warn us of moralizing and sterotying re members of the community. but i dont think whether they are labeled officiallly as a gang is the central point obvious they are doing a crime and obviously working together and friend no disrespect intended but they dont look like they are from sweden.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-26-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 AM

No, the gang issue wasn't central, but someone had brought it up, that's all.

The other earlier comments were more a general warning than anything else (and not to any one person in particular); there have been some deleted comments that have been off-topic and veered into race-baiting/trolling territory. Discussion and opposing viewpoints are welcome, as long as they stay within the parameters of the terms of service.

Thanks, Duk123, for the updates on South; I guess I jumped to conclusions about where the kids went to school. I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'd be a little rattled if I was a student and saw a video of my classmates doing things like that. I certainly had classmates who had problems, but in the days before youtube and the like you didn't have the shock value of seeing it on tape and set to music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul