Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,265,984 times

Advertisements

I would rather forget about '98...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 AM

459 posts, read 2,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about...

But at the time, there was :30-:35 seconds left on the clock with the 1998 Vikings, who were at the time the most explosive offense the NFL had ever seen. The team was 15-1 with the help of "3 deep" - Reed, Moss and Carter- They were also stacked at RB with Smith and Hoard. They set the NFL single season record for points!

Then... Dennis Green called for a kneel down to send the game into OT! WHAT?!?!

Ah. I see. At the time, I guess it may have been the most explosive offense the NFL had ever seen. But certainly not the most explosive ever. Everyone agrees the most explosive offense unit ever assembled was the 1999 St Louis Rams. The greatest show on turf.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 PM

118 posts, read 388,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Ah. I see. At the time, I guess it may have been the most explosive offense the NFL had ever seen. But certainly not the most explosive ever. Everyone agrees the most explosive offense unit ever assembled was the 1999 St Louis Rams. The greatest show on turf.
How can "everyone agree" that the 1999 Rams were the most explosive offense ever when the 1998 Vikings outscored the 1999 Rams? In fact, even the 2000 Rams outscored the 1999 Rams.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,661,597 times
I agree with AVguy, even though the Rams were explosive, I don't think that "everyone agrees". Kurt Warner, Holt, Bruce, Faulk, Hakim, Proel were a great team... But...I dont know if it compares to Cunningham, Moss, Reed, Carter, Smith

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM

30 posts, read 86,014 times
I said this on another post as well, but mixing the MInnesota THunder into this deal might be a really good option. Their season is very similar to the baseball season and the Twin cities metro area is becoming larger with hispanics, Africans, and Europeans. That could be a solid fan base for this soccer team. Also, they run about 20 games which would be more than the 8 game days the Vikings would offer. What do people think?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,883,298 times
This not so subtle reference to the Vikings and their stadium issue...

NFL to pull plug on $100 million revenue-sharing program - ESPN

Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city eyez View Post
I said this on another post as well, but mixing the MInnesota THunder into this deal might be a really good option. Their season is very similar to the baseball season and the Twin cities metro area is becoming larger with hispanics, Africans, and Europeans. That could be a solid fan base for this soccer team. Also, they run about 20 games which would be more than the 8 game days the Vikings would offer. What do people think?

I agree, some sort of partnership would be the best.... Good point.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Anybody see in the Trib today, they have a pullout comparing the 1998 Vikings with this season's team... Interesting... I'll take this years... 1998 was more Exxxxplosive, but their defense wasn't anything to brag about...They gave up like 30 points a game...Good thing the Vikes were averaging almost 40 a game... What do ya'll think...I think 1998 was more fun to watch (maybe, I might be eating my own words, or maybe 1998 is nostalgia) but this years is just a well rounded team...

I disagree with MN55...I dont want to forget about 1998... It was still an excellent season and I'm proud that they were successful as they were... even if they probably would have been SuperBowl Champs...

Let's bring the Lombardi to the Twin Cities for pete's sakes?!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Anybody see in the Trib today, they have a pullout comparing the 1998 Vikings with this season's team... Interesting... I'll take this years... 1998 was more Exxxxplosive, but their defense wasn't anything to brag about...They gave up like 30 points a game...Good thing the Vikes were averaging almost 40 a game... What do ya'll think...I think 1998 was more fun to watch (maybe, I might be eating my own words, or maybe 1998 is nostalgia) but this years is just a well rounded team...

I disagree with MN55...I dont want to forget about 1998... It was still an excellent season and I'm proud that they were successful as they were... even if they probably would have been SuperBowl Champs...

Let's bring the Lombardi to the Twin Cities for pete's sakes?!
I'd take this year's team too but injuries are suddenly killing us. It would've been a different story last night if our O-line was healthy and if Antoine Winfield was playing...Benny Sapp covering Larry Fitzgerald? Huge mismatch. Now E.J. Henderson is out for the year with a broken femur, that could be disastrous for our defense.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,883,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Another Minnesota urban myth. Nelson has long been unjustly blamed for the '87 loss. Fact is he was never in the endzone and didn't "drop" a touchdown pass, tho he likely would have had the 1st down had the pass been complete. Anthony Carter broke off his route early and ran his defender (Darrell Green) back into the play where Darrin had beaten his coverage at the goal line. If you want to blame someone, blame Wade Wilson for throwing the ball short or AC for running the wrong route.

link has video of the play...

I'm Sorry, Darrin Nelson - 1987 NFC Championship Game | Twin Cities, Minnesota Blog

I recall he dropped a pass on the 5 yard line with no one around him, this isnt the same play. I can't fault him on that one. What was the thrid down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul