Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Because if my kids are uneducated (and not all parents are willing or able to pay for private school) they are going to end up costing you in the long run: they won't be able to get decent jobs, will be more likely to end up on welfare, or become criminals, or won't be able to perform the sorts of educated jobs that we need to run this country, and generally be an all-around danger to society, a drain on our pocketbook, and a threat to the future of the country. Don't educate the kids now, pay the price (and more) later, that's why.

The benefits of pro sports are less explicitely obvious.
I agree in the need for a good education but is there some reason that you shouldn't pay for your child's needs? Seems like that would be a parental responsibility. Besides the world needs ditch-diggers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
The world does need ditch-diggers, but they also need to be able to function at some basic level to even get that far. Basic reading and writing, for one thing, and some basic math skills to at least pay the bills and balance the checking account. We can't count on parents to provide that because there are some terrible parents out there, as well as those who would like to be able to fully provide for their kids but are unable to do so. Those are also the parents most likely to have kids who will turn out to be major problems to society if they don't have some chance at escaping the life that they were born into. I know parents on drugs, in and out of jail, and with other major problems: these are parents who should never have kids in the first place, but responsibility isn't something they're really concerned about. Education gives at least some chance to break the cycle.

I haven't totally made up my mind about pro sports funding, but I think education and sports are an apples and oranges comparison.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Explain to me why I should pay for any school taxes when I pay my property tax. You parents should have to pay your own kids way and not come to me with your hand-out every 6 months.
The state constiturion mandates the state provides for public education.

The state constitution does not mandate the state provide staduims for professional football teams

Even with the Vikings winning the superbowl, using state taxpayers money while our schools are in a budget crunch ain't gonna fly.

The Vikings record is a plus, but the economy and state finances are bigger than the Vikings.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
Build it where Brookdale is or build it where Goodrich Golf Course is... I WANT TAILGATING!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
If it is in the same sight, then we will still have the same problems of no tail-gating and no fun atmosphere around the stadium. How boring...
This. Unless Zygi buys a few square blocks of parking lots towards the river and 4th/3rd streets get closed or tunneled underground near the stadium.

The Metrodome is rated last place for tailgating and 30th overall out of 32 stadiums.

NFL Stadium Rankings - SI.com

Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Explain to me why I should pay for any school taxes when I pay my property tax. You parents should have to pay your own kids way and not come to me with your hand-out every 6 months.
How about if you think of it as paying the state BACK for YOUR education? If you go back far enough a generation somewhere didn't have to pay for their education so think of it as paying in arrears for your own education.

Why not build the new stadium on the site of the Ford Plant in St. Paul. I think on another post on this topic a few months ago someone suggested that.

The metrodome is horrible. I am not fan of using public money for something like this but a new stadium is in need--however building an open air stadium severely limits the use of that stadium. A retractable roof at minimum but I think they really need to go with some kind of a roof. If public money is to be used for the stadium than it needs to be available for those events that use the Metrodome and other then football pretty much everything else that happens there needs a roof.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why not build the new stadium on the site of the Ford Plant in St. Paul. I think on another post on this topic a few months ago someone suggested that.
The main difference between the metrodome site and the site of the Ford plant is the transportation infrastructure, metrodome site has it, Ford plant site does not. If you keep it on the metrodome site you'll be saving billions of dollars in the infrastructure that would have to be built to make that site feasible.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The main difference between the metrodome site and the site of the Ford plant is the transportation infrastructure, metrodome site has it, Ford plant site does not. If you keep it on the metrodome site you'll be saving billions of dollars in the infrastructure that would have to be built to make that site feasible.
None of that infrastructure was there when the dome was built. Besides, the whole point is that people want to DRIVE to the game and tailgate--you don't NEED the lightrail in that case.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Keep in mind the NFL will get what it wants, proven again and again. Work something out...

Besides education takes almost 50% of the tax dollar, thats pretty high Id say.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
None of that infrastructure was there when the dome was built. Besides, the whole point is that people want to DRIVE to the game and tailgate--you don't NEED the lightrail in that case.
Right but it's there now so why waste more money to throw in more infrastructure...we need to do this in the most fiscally responsible way possible, especially with the economic recession.

It isn't just the light rail, the metrodome has easy access from 394, 94, 35W, HWY 55 and ample parking in ramps and lots downtown....Ford Pkwy has NONE of this. Right now it's hard to get into that neighborhood from other parts of St. Paul, it's isolated there, it'd be a logistical nightmare trying to get 70,000 people out of there on the 46th St bridge, Cleveland Ave, Snelling Ave down to W 7th St, Cretin, etc. The only connections to the area are 2 lane bridge and several tiny residential roads, it'd be a terrible mess.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-25-2009 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul