Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,037 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of purchasing a home in Medina which falls in the Orono school district. I've researched google for reviews but found limited information, so I thought I would ask those in this forum for their own reviews of the district?

How are the students, sports teams, parents involvment, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,857 times
Default at least someone rates it very highly

[url]http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MN/districtrank.aspx[/url]

Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM

336 posts, read 923,494 times
I graduated from Orono 20 years ago- We now live in Delano, so not too far from home. Orono is an excellent school district, always amongst the top in the state. Sports teams do fairly well since parents can afford to send their kids to camps & all that stuff. Orono has always had money, but it is a much wealthier place than it was when even I was growing up. Parental involvement is excellent, my nieces go to Orono & they often have too many parents trying to help out. There is a parent organization that raises a LOT of money for the schools. Medina is a gorgeous area, you will like it. I would love to live there if we could afford it! However, we like Delano and the schools are excellent here too.

Students- high numbers of kids go to college from high school, it is the "norm". I loved the schools, they are safe, there is of course, some drug & alcohol use, especially since the kids usually have money to pay for it. I didn't do any of that though, and most other kids didn't, just the few like most schools. My mom worked in the Orono schools for 20 years and said that the kids have become a little more "entitled". When I drive by the student parking lot, there are often cars there nicer than the one I drive, and I'm 39. My nieces have been to birthday parties where the kids are brining $40 gifts. So if that bothers you, you might just need to keep your kids balanced with reality.

All in all, it's a great place to raise a family. The only thing I guess I've noticed, is few kids who grow up in Orono can actually afford to live there themselves once they grow up. Half my high school is in Delano LOL

Old 12-13-2009, 03:50 PM

664 posts, read 1,940,116 times
It's a good school with well good sports teams that make it far. Grreatschools.com rates it a 10 so I think your good to go. Orono is a more expensive area, but they have a good mix of middle class as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,923 times
Default Also looking at Orono

We are contemplating a move from upstate New York. We are also looking at Orono as a potential school district. I like the size of the district compared to Wayzata and Minnetonka. I also like size of the lots out in the Orono/Medina area (as well as the housing). However, what about everyday life activities? How far do you typically have to drive to do grocery shopping, gas up the car, find a gym, etc? We haven't traveled there yet (probably January), but based on Google Earth, it looks like there is quite a drive to get to any shopping. I like the open feel of the area, but don't really want to drive 15 minutes to get to a grocery store.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
I graduated from Orono 20 years ago- We now live in Delano, so not too far from home. Orono is an excellent school district, always amongst the top in the state. Sports teams do fairly well since parents can afford to send their kids to camps & all that stuff. Orono has always had money, but it is a much wealthier place than it was when even I was growing up. Parental involvement is excellent, my nieces go to Orono & they often have too many parents trying to help out. There is a parent organization that raises a LOT of money for the schools. Medina is a gorgeous area, you will like it. I would love to live there if we could afford it! However, we like Delano and the schools are excellent here too.

Students- high numbers of kids go to college from high school, it is the "norm". I loved the schools, they are safe, there is of course, some drug & alcohol use, especially since the kids usually have money to pay for it. I didn't do any of that though, and most other kids didn't, just the few like most schools. My mom worked in the Orono schools for 20 years and said that the kids have become a little more "entitled". When I drive by the student parking lot, there are often cars there nicer than the one I drive, and I'm 39. My nieces have been to birthday parties where the kids are brining $40 gifts. So if that bothers you, you might just need to keep your kids balanced with reality.

All in all, it's a great place to raise a family. The only thing I guess I've noticed, is few kids who grow up in Orono can actually afford to live there themselves once they grow up. Half my high school is in Delano LOL

I appreciate the way you described it. Thankfully I'm fortunate enough that the financial aspect is not an issue. I came from an area where Sweet 16 parties included celebrity appearences and costs that rival the average American home, so Orono is a nice frugal living adjustment (in comparison).

I like hearing how involved other parents are as well. I've been able to gather a lot of positive information since first posting.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

336 posts, read 923,494 times
Time to Simplify-

Orono has gas stations, certainly, no grocery store though- Orono is technically a village & they keep it that way. There are probably 1 or 2 small exercise gyms, not big ones. If you don't mind a larger school district, Wayzata or Minnetonka has many more conveniences as far as shopping, Target, groceries, gyms, etc. But the high schools are almost small college sized, especially Wayzata. Their new high school is gorgeous & massive. Sports in Minnetonka and Wayzata are very competitive & there is a chance your kid won't get to play at all. Orono is a smaller size with more opportunity to play on the teams. You may also consider Delano, where I live. It is about the size of Orono, the schools are just as good (and have even ranked higher in some testing). We are over the border in Wright County, and the taxes are lower. You could find a nice house with land or build easily. Parental involvement is outstanding and we have a good grocery store! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul