U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 AM

386 posts, read 624,432 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas and I've wanted a change for some time. I visited Minneapolis years ago and but didn't learn very much. I know it gets cold and it snows and that is what I'm looking for. ; ) Anyway, I'm in my early 30's, and single. It seems that most cities in the US are good for families which is fabulous, but I'm wondering about us Singletons? Would Minneapolis be a decent choice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times
daisee1203,Hey girl I just move back North fron Decton TX, and I "hated" it when I left and I really "hate it" now but I used to live in minn, mpls and I thought that it was a nice place to live but I did'nt get out much I had 2 small kids, but now the Kids are grown and I'm on my own. Maybe ??? Maybe not

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,332,454 times
It is very family-oriented, but there are definitely plenty of singles around, too. I don't know how it compares on that front to other cities. I would strongly suggest living in the city (or perhaps a few suburban neighborhoods), though; Minneapolis suburbs (and some city neighborhoods) seem even more overwhelmingly oriented towards families than those of most cities.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,513 times
I'm having the same issue (maybe we should meet!) but I read an article that in 2006 Minneapolis was ranked in the top 10 for number of single people in US cities. Also some site I was looking at today gave number of single people (well at least single households) per neighborhood and in some neighborhoods it was a majority percentage! (mainly the ones I saw near those lakes)

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM

386 posts, read 624,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consideringmove View Post
I'm having the same issue (maybe we should meet!) but I read an article that in 2006 Minneapolis was ranked in the top 10 for number of single people in US cities. Also some site I was looking at today gave number of single people (well at least single households) per neighborhood and in some neighborhoods it was a majority percentage! (mainly the ones I saw near those lakes)
I may have read the same article! Ha hah . I think that's where I got the idea. I think I also remember reading its a great place for outdoor activity (during the warmer months, perhaps!) so that was a perk, too.

I have a feeling though (please don't flame me!) a lot of ppl (read: MEN) like football in that part of the country and I just, well don't. I'm not at all into it. Hockey, yes but not football. So idk now. I would like to hear how others see it!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,332,454 times
You should be fine on the football front. I haven't found that men in Minnesota like football any more than men in other parts of the country. I guess it depends on who you end up meeting, but overall the majority of the men I know aren't all that into football. Maybe it's just the people I know, or maybe it's that I've successfully tuned it out (at least people in MN don't wear big cheese hats on their heads, although the fake viking hats with braids are pretty bad, too...), but I guess the larger point is don't be worried that you'll be stuck talking about or watching football all the time; maybe you'll end up dating someone who is really into it, but it's certainly not a given. (then again, most of my male friends/relatives also don't like hockey, so I might just not be hanging out with the stereotypical manly-man sport crowd. College basketball, baseball, and soccer seem to be the more popular choices with the people I know.)

Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,286,340 times
I can't resist commenting on the football....

Vikes fans aren't any more into football than Cowboys fans - so if you can handle TX, you can handle MN. You'll have fanatics wherever you go.

As someone (single) who just moved here, I would agree with some of the above posters - live downtown/uptown/select suburbs. I'm in a more family oriented suburb (by choice, it's close to work) but it's definitely made it harder to meet people. I think there are definitely single people here, it's just a matter of finding their (our?) stomping grounds.

Personally if I were looking for snow and an active singles scene...I would look at the Denver area....but that doesn't mean Minneapolis is a bad choice.

Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM

11,333 posts, read 24,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
I have a feeling though (please don't flame me!) a lot of ppl (read: MEN) like football in that part of the country and I just, well don't. I'm not at all into it. Hockey, yes but not football. So idk now. I would like to hear how others see it!
Football seems a LOT bigger down here in Atlanta than it was in the Twin Cities. The big sport for me growing up in Minnetonka was hockey.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,128,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
I may have read the same article! Ha hah . I think that's where I got the idea. I think I also remember reading its a great place for outdoor activity (during the warmer months, perhaps!) so that was a perk, too.

The Twin Cities are big enough to have lots of groups and sub-groups--The Vikings are probably the most popular team, but the Twins have lots of fans, as do the Wild, and (in theory anyways) so do the T-wolves. UofM sports also draws a good crowd--basketball is picking up in popularity with Tubby, but hockey fans are pretty frustrated.

There's also lots of sports clubs in the Twin Cities, which would be a good way to meet people. Lots of softball leagues, skiing clubs, tennis clubs, as well as biking organizations.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:22 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
The Twin Cities are big enough to have lots of groups and sub-groups--The Vikings are probably the most popular team, but the Twins have lots of fans, as do the Wild, and (in theory anyways) so do the T-wolves. UofM sports also draws a good crowd--basketball is picking up in popularity with Tubby, but hockey fans are pretty frustrated.
The nice thing about college hockey in Minnesota is the fact that there are so many quality Division 1 teams in the state: the U, UMD, St. Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji State. Even if the Gophers aren't doing as well during a given year, chances are quite good that one or two of the other teams are making it to the WCHA and/or NCAA tourneys instead... And if not, you can always root against Denver or North Dakota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>