Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times

Advertisements

My comment about 'cold keeping the riff raff out' was more tongue-and-cheek than anything. That's just a common response from many Twin Citians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
I love all the people complaining about cold temps. What do you want to happen? Want the government to just legislate it away?

---

And all the people who dislike the public transportation here: Do you think we should just start spending a ton of money on transportation when 95+ percent of the population will never use it. Face it, the majority of people in MN don't use and don't want to use public transportation. If you want to that's fine but it ain't fair to make the majority of the state pay for it when they'll never use it. You may think we need better light-rails/buses and should spend some state moneey on it, but try explaining that to someone in Warroad.

I've lived in St. Paul the large majority of my life and outside of spending college in Madison and less than two other years in Hibbing and White Bear, I have never once used the bus or light rail except for the shuttles that go to Twins play-off games. Why should I have to pay for it?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times

""""I love all the people complaining about cold temps. What do you want to happen? Want the government to just legislate it away?""""

The original question was to give reasons why NOT to move to MN. Yes we are all aware of how cold it is there, but it's a reason that does keep some from living there.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
...I have never once used the bus or light rail except for the shuttles that go to Twins play-off games. Why should I have to pay for it?
I never use Interstate 494. Why should I have to pay for it?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I never use Interstate 494. Why should I have to pay for it?
I never used it either the 21 years I lived up there, as I either lived around Loring Park, Elliot Park or Cedar Riverside, walking distances to downtown.
But I was obligated to pay for it.

Now it's the car afficionando's turn to pay up!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Why should I have to pay for it?

Well, theory is that you don't just pay for the light rail. You are essentially paying for a less used roadway, a less congested roadway, a cleaner environment, low-stress lifestyle, etc...

What people don't seem to understand is that America's dependibility of the automobile is a lifestyle, just as much as Cell Phones, if you will. We have grown to structure our lives around a vehicle, the use of roadways, parking lots, and even businesses that cater to the automobile. I understand that many people don't use a vehicle and find it a convenience to use public transportation. Some use it for affordability, some use it because it's all they can afford. It would be a disastorous feat trying to get enough people on board with public transportation to make it feasible, sustainable, and desirable. Cities, streets, roads are all designed to cater the automobile.

We need to ask ourselves, 'Is it worth spending this much money for something that might reduce traffic, might reduce emissions, might reduce stress levels, and might make our lives just that much better? Will I ever use it?'

People haven't stopped relying on the automobile since owning one became the norm 70 years ago. Owning a vehicle gives freedom and convenience, that just cannot be matched by public transportation. Not everybody works in a place that is conveniently located near a line and lives near one. I think about my parents, both of which could never use light rail to travel to work. Maybe for recreation, but maybe. I never would, certainly not for everyday use. My job just wouldn't allow it. I need a vehicle, not unless I want to put myself through a major inconvenience to do so. I'm not saying it's just about me and my family, but I would strongly agree that many people are in the same shoes as us, rather than seriously considering using light rail.

It's like saying, hey everybody, stop using cell phones. Here, we have a flashy, eco-friendly, healthier alternative- the LAND LINE!!. But, there is a catch! You are extremely limited to how you can use it!!! It costs more than the satisfication you get, or will EVER get from it!!! Some people LOVE them, because, shucks, they don't need no darn cell phone for their everyday life!!! So hop on board, grab a land line, and dial away!!! Just remember, you can't call long distance!!! I mean, for Pete's sakes, you've already been taxed up the waazooo for it!!'

I'm not a superfan of lightrail unless it's stricly in Mpls and StP and maybe inner ring suburbs, and then, Hennepin County and Ramsey County and the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis should pay for it. Not people in Warroad, Fergus Falls, Ely, Pipestone, or International Falls...Look at every city in the USA with public transportation, whether it's 'good' or 'bad', every single one still has a transportation, congestion, and traffic problem. We have yet to seen anything substantial success stories, nothng that will ever compare to the likes of Japan and Europe. Wait...because Japan and Europe weren't designed around the advent of the automobile!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

What people don't seem to understand is that America's dependibility of the automobile is a lifestyle, just as much as Cell Phones, if you will. We have grown to structure our lives around a vehicle, the use of roadways, parking lots, and even businesses that cater to the automobile. I understand that many people don't use a vehicle and find it a convenience to use public transportation. Some use it for affordability, some use it because it's all they can afford. It would be a disastorous feat trying to get enough people on board with public transportation to make it feasible, sustainable, and desirable. Cities, streets, roads are all designed to cater the automobile.
But we DO understand that auto dependency is a lifestyle, a lifestyle that is harmful in many ways. Sprawl, pollution, obesity, congestion, reduced access are some of the many ways this lifetyle is harmful. Auto dependency is not sustainable in large metropolitan areas. Did you know that most American cities were NOT built for the automobile? As autos proliferated, we have retrofitted them so cars can get around (as opposed to people getting around.) There is no reason we cannot "re-retrofit" them back so cars aren't the only way to get where we need to go.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM

[quote=Ben Around;
Did you know that most American cities were NOT built for the automobile? quote]

Of course, and did YOU know that most Large American cities have had a declining or stagnated population since the automobile became an everyday commodity, post WWII. What else was built after WWII? Oh yeah, the Interstate Highway System. Designed for AUTOMOBILES to travel from California to Maine, down to Florida, and then up to good old Minnesota!! This was designed, planned, built, and has been maintained since about 1950!

Very, very few communities in the USA work better as a pedestrian rather than cars. Maybe Celebration, FL

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
I have an idea:

Let's have people choose what they want their taxes to go towards. If they want taxes to go towards the Interstate and other roads you check that box. If you want money to go towards light rail and other public transportation, you check that box. So say everybody does this and 75% check roads and 25% check public transportation, then when it comes time to shell out the revenue collected from gas taxes, the highways and roads get 75% and the light rail and buses get 25%. Simple enough concept, I think. Then everything is fair and you are paying for the lifestyle you want.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
I have an idea:

Let's have people choose what they want their taxes to go towards. If they want taxes to go towards the Interstate and other roads you check that box. If you want money to go towards light rail and other public transportation, you check that box. So say everybody does this and 75% check roads and 25% check public transportation, then when it comes time to shell out the revenue collected from gas taxes, the highways and roads get 75% and the light rail and buses get 25%. Simple enough concept, I think. Then everything is fair and you are paying for the lifestyle you want.

Sorry, paying taxes isn't the same as donating to the United Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul