U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,660,543 times

Advertisements

I have heard that there are apartments within walking distance of Minneapolis Technical Community College, and am wondering generally how much do they cost? The reason I would choose this community college over any other one in the Twin Cities is because I LOVE the location! It's no secret I can't stand St. Cloud and I would love to leave it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,022,103 times
There are tons of apartments within walking distance, but a lot of the buildings in the immediate Loring Park area are pretty expensive (although there are some deals to be found). Check out Craigslist for a sample of prices. Loring Park, Elliot Park, Stevens Square are all some of the names to look at when searching for location. Depends exactly how far you define as walking distance, though. Loring Park/Stevens Square/Loring Heights are all really close and have lots of options at a wide range of price points.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 AM

201 posts, read 365,559 times
usually around 450-550 for a studio in that area.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
usually around 450-550 for a studio in that area.
that isn't bad at all

Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,190,002 times
There's a collection of newer buildings across Hennepin from MCTC called "Laurel Village" which will be more expensive, but if you look around Loring park and Stevens Square park, you'll find dozens of older brownstones that tend to be pretty affordable, with Stevens being slightly lower than Loring.

Expect to pay an additional $40-100 per month for an assigned off-street parking space in Loring and Stevens (depending whether it's indoor or outdoor). If you don't want to pay for parking, it's easier to find a spot on the street around Stevens than Loring. If you don't have a car, that's fine, those are two neighborhoods where it's fairly easy to live without one.

My car and I lived on Stevens Avenue for almost 6 years, and I was renting my own parking spot after about a year. It sure made life a lot easier, except when I'd come home to find some other car in my parking space. Grrrrrr! I had to have a couple of cars towed over the years.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

9,635 posts, read 14,564,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I have heard that there are apartments within walking distance of Minneapolis Technical Community College, and am wondering generally how much do they cost? The reason I would choose this community college over any other one in the Twin Cities is because I LOVE the location! It's no secret I can't stand St. Cloud and I would love to leave it.
It's a cool area. There are also alot of apartments in the nearby Whittier area which is also one of my favorite parts of the city. Lyndale Ave and Nicollet Ave (Eat Street) between Franklin Ave and Lake St are both excellent areas to walk around to grab some food or a drink in my opinion. Wow, that'd be quite the adjustment from St. Cloud. If you make the jump you'll need to try your best to keep an open mind because you're going to see and hear alot of things in that area that you wouldn't see or hear anywhere in St. Cloud. AKA - that nook is probably one of the most liberal places in the country.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It's a cool area. There are also alot of apartments in the nearby Whittier area which is also one of my favorite parts of the city. Lyndale Ave and Nicollet Ave (Eat Street) between Franklin Ave and Lake St are both excellent areas to walk around to grab some food or a drink in my opinion. Wow, that'd be quite the adjustment from St. Cloud. If you make the jump you'll need to try your best to keep an open mind because you're going to see and hear alot of things in that area that you wouldn't see or hear anywhere in St. Cloud. AKA - that nook is probably one of the most liberal places in the country.
It would be a big jump, but I would love to take it. The main thing that attracted me to it was that its in downtown Minneapolis and everything, and I LOVE big cities, but St. Cloud and a few surrounding small towns is really the only place I ever lived. I have been to Chicago a couple times, loved it as well too, especially the downtown area, and I never really never minded the traffic in Chicago, which you might think is weird. Though when one of my older cousins who is in his 20s lived in Minneapolis, I used to stay at his place for a week or two a lot during the summer. We would fish, walk around and such, and I always loved it.

I also think I am more suited for a big city, and my mom thinks it would be a good fit for me too. Of course some might not consider Minneapolis that big of a city, it only has around 400k and also according to city data has a land area of like 54.9 square miles, so ya it isn't like Houston or Los Angeles, but it's big compared to St. Cloud, and also the metro area is big, I believe its like the 16th largest metro in the country I think? and it has well over 3 million people, so.... you could argue its big and small. I also love having a variety of stores and malls and such, and here in St. Cloud, there is only one Best Buy, one Sams club, one circuit city(of course its closed now), one Barnes and Noble, and so on. Also a lot of the stores we do have such as Best Buy, it isn't as big as a lot of the Best Buys in the twin cities, and so on. We do have 2 Targets and 2 ShopKos though. Also we only have 1 mall and it is nowhere near as big as a lot of the malls in the twin cities, such as Ridgedale or Eden Prairie or Southdale or obviously the mall of america. I think it would be cool to have more then one mall and such so I'm not always going to the same mall and same store. But some people like living in a city like St. cloud and don't mind only having 1 mall and 1 best buy, soooooo, its all opinion.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 02-04-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,022,103 times
I think it's great you're up for a change of pace, a new adventure, and all of that, but you might want to spend some time walking around the specific neighborhoods you're investigating before you make the final decision. I love all of the areas mentioned and think all of them would be a great place to live, but I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be quite the change. (not that that's a bad thing: change can definitely be good, and if you like cities then you will have a great time.)

I think you'll discover that one of the nicest things in living in a bigger city is that you don't need to shop at malls. They're there if you want them, but it's very easy to avoid them. (and while the Twin Cities do have some big malls, they're all essentially the same; you're really not missing that much on that front up in St. Cloud, other than a few stores and a different layout)

Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM

After checking, it seems like Stevens has the best deals, but I have only searched craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul