Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Actually, if everyone did that the people in the left lane would have to wait twice as long and the right lane would just be clear. Those "cheaters" slow the "honest" drivers every day, which is why I'm always reluctant to let someone merge in from the right lane (unless I feel they came in off of Penn Ave -- in which case they have no choice).

That's true, but there are scenarios where I have seen the left lane EMPTY, and I'm sitting there waiting to turn red behind some yahoo just going straight, head in the clouds...

Oh well, it's just a couple seconds... Actually, did any of you hear that story not too long ago about that guy with the remote that would change the traffic signals? I guess they came up with crazy stat like "They saved over 200 hours of traffic and traffic light waiting by doing so"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I never saw that story, but I sure as hell have seen traffic lights change for no reason and no police, fire or ambulances nearby. I personally just assumed that any emergency city services personnel who have access to these remotes bring them home with them so they can fly through lights uninterrupted. It kinda pisses me off actually.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I never saw that story, but I sure as hell have seen traffic lights change for no reason and no police, fire or ambulances nearby. I personally just assumed that any emergency city services personnel who have access to these remotes bring them home with them so they can fly through lights uninterrupted. It kinda pisses me off actually.

haha, yeah, I guess he got into some pretty big trouble for how long he has been doing it... But if you get caught once it's just a little fine..well, depending on which state.

» No green light for driver with traffic signal remote Dvorak Uncensored: General interest observations and true web-log.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 11,598 times
Default Want Blunt Advice -- Don't Move to MN

I moved here in June of 2008 with an open mind and excitement because I heard what a wonderful city MPLS was (turns out most if not all of that reputation comes from “lifers” or transplants from the surrounding rural states).

I like you am "blunt," but not rude and I like to exchange ideas with friends. However I, unlike you 5cleves, did not do my due diligence and had never heard of MN nice until it was too late.

I have lived in Vermont, NYC, upstate NY, and Denver and until I moved to MPLS, I never had any problems making friends. Now, nearly two years later, while my husband and I occasionally have dinner with people we have met at work, I can say that I have not made one true friend. No one that I would call to just chat.

MN nice is real and if I knew then what I know now, I would never have moved here. Life is too short to waste it on the provincial mindset you find here, illustrated by the heated comments you have received in response to your questions. Minnesotans cannot and do not tolerate any dissention – love MN or die.

Plus you should also know the winters here are HORRIBLE. Don’t believe what you hear, a Minnesotan would never admit that because that would be weak – they grin and bear it! It gets cold (typical winter day is 0 to (–)something!) right after T-day and finally warms up (i.e. above 40) in April. It is long, the days are short, and city-wide depression sets in – forget meeting anyone between these months – people barely socialize in the winter.

I tell my husband that if I could erase our time in MN I would in a heartbeat. It has been extremely taxing on our marriage and we plan to move (back to Denver – where outsiders are welcomed and new perspectives are valued) as soon as we can secure employment there.

Regarding your kids’ ability to make friends, I agree with the posts re adults find it harder to make friends because those slots are “full,” so I am sure your kids will have an easier time. But, I would ask yourself, do you want your kids to be Minnesotans and/or grow up to be MN nice? For us leaving MN also has to do with the fact that we would never want to raise our children to be close-minded “Minnesotans.”

My final note is this – you don’t hear about this MN nice phenomena anywhere else in the country and if it didn’t exist all of these heated conversations would not be taking place. So this attitude and treatment does not exist everywhere in the country and it does exist in MN. I wish someone had warned me before we moved here for a job, and told me how it was -- bluntly. So this is my warning to you – don’t move here!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Hopefully "locals" don't care whether or not people like their state -- I KNOW people don't like it here sometimes -- it's not a big deal.

It's interesting to hear your sweeping generalizations, especially since they are not nice either. Is this how you spoke to people you met? If so they'd probably need an Rx for Prozac just to put up with it!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
As someone who has lived in many cities and who frequents several of these different state and city forum boards (not to mention has friends from all over the country who live scattered all about) I'd like to point out that you will indeed find similar complaints (admittedly not called "Minnesota" though -- they have their own regional names for it!) in most locations. I found it easier to make friends in LA than anywhere else I've lived, for example, but there are plenty of people on that forum who go online to complain about how unfriendly everyone there is compared to everywhere else they've ever lived. I think it's a general American society issue, perhaps made worse in towns where there aren't a lot of people moving in or out, not a state-specific problem.

I'll leave the rest of this alone for now (although this is a topic I still find fascinating), but to be blunt and perhaps un-"Minnesotan," I would imagine it would be difficult to make many friends if you're too open about how provincial and close-minded you consider Minnesotans to be. Most people don't relish being typecast as hicks, and aren't going to rush to become friends with people who consider them such.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Quote:
love MN or die.
I whole-heartedly agree. Atleast move away.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,598 times
Default so my bluntness offended you...you betcha!

west336: in my experience, it is not a big deal if a Minnesotan gripes about Minnesota but if a transplant does, the attitude is "well, then leave." And by gripe, I mean a comment on the cold weather.

Provicial means "a person of local or restricted interests or outlook." I have found that there are a limited number of topics that are acceptable for conversation in the TC. Almost all involve some "local" topic, such as the Twins, the Vikings, the lakes, cabins etc. Most other topics, especially if regarding out-of-state or national topics are of less interest and usually conversation stoppers.

And no I do not share these thoughts with the people I meet -- I act Minnesotan -- nice to their face and then talk about it behind their back to my husband. These impressions have formed over the past two years of interaction with many different people through my job, gym, and other social activities I have tried in hopes to meet people. If anyone needs prozac it is me -- two years of loneliness and long harsh winters.

Nevertheless I am not writing on this board to get friends so I am being honest about my feelings so that I can potentially help someone who is rightfully concerned about moving here.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant5126 View Post
west336: in my experience, it is not a big deal if a Minnesotan gripes about Minnesota but if a transplant does, the attitude is "well, then leave." And by gripe, I mean a comment on the cold weather.

Provicial means "a person of local or restricted interests or outlook." I have found that there are a limited number of topics that are acceptable for conversation in the TC. Almost all involve some "local" topic, such as the Twins, the Vikings, the lakes, cabins etc. Most other topics, especially if regarding out-of-state or national topics are of less interest and usually conversation stoppers.

And no I do not share these thoughts with the people I meet -- I act Minnesotan -- nice to their face and then talk about it behind their back to my husband. These impressions have formed over the past two years of interaction with many different people through my job, gym, and other social activities I have tried in hopes to meet people. If anyone needs prozac it is me -- two years of loneliness and long harsh winters.

Nevertheless I am not writing on this board to get friends so I am being honest about my feelings so that I can potentially help someone who is rightfully concerned about moving here.
No, it's not funny if you're actually suffering from depression....sorry about that comment. If you feel that way you should maybe consider seeking help though, and this IS a good state to do that in. What works for one person doesn't always work for the next person. I knew when I lived in Ohio I had to get out of there because I knew I didn't like the culture (central OH), and I think I would have been miserable had I stayed. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a personal preference and it's important that you listen to yourself!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
The thing is, you are pretty much dead on.

Conversations typically are about:
-50% weather
-25% when you're going up north next
-20% Twins/Vikings/Golf
-5% How the local High School/Youth hockey teams are doing

Not that I mind it, I absolutely love Minnesota. You got a pretty good handle down on 95% of Minnesotans. We like it and aren't changing. You don't. Move.

(That's my east-coast impression of being blunt. Basically the above person is correct. MN is a great place for others and not as good for others. It obviosuly isn't your kind of place. It has less to do with the people here being wrong and more to do with the fact that you're just in the wrong place for you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul