Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times

Advertisements

Only thing worse than a wine snob is a beer snob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

174 posts, read 470,116 times
I've tried them all and like a few (especially the red), but I think they've overextended. You're right, I was exaggerating when I said it's like Budweiser, but I think, in my eyes, they've lost the "small/craft" brew, which is why there is a market for things like Surly and Rush River.

I'm not a beer snob. I've drank the beer, I've visited the brewery. It's just getting very sterile and commercial. There is nothing wrong with that because their point is to run a business and make money. Often, to do so, you end up marginalizing the product to appeal to a mass market.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

33 posts, read 127,665 times
I love Surly Bender, and I have recently developed a great fondness for Lift Bridge Cross Cut as well. We had a keg of it for our housewarming (I'm in my 30s and I've never done a kegger before, I swear -- it was just more economical this way!) and it got rave reviews from everyone including the beer snobs. It's my new #2 beer, and a close second behind my beloved Bender.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Just because he doesn't like Summit doesn't make him a snob!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Just because he doesn't like Summit doesn't make him a snob!
Sorry, wasn't directing my comment to anyone in particular. It's just that a beer snob killed my brother! He happened to be operating an electric chair at the time, but I find it hard to separate the man's occupation from his hobby. Stupid beer snob.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM

77 posts, read 305,460 times
PBR isn't local but it might as well be...the cities seem like the PBR capital of the world. i love the stuff, and i am aware of how most of you feel about it, so go ahead and save the PBR bashing for your next beer club meeting. i swear i will be buried with a 6 pack of PBR in the casket.

grain belt is also great stuff, but a little too sweet for my palate. i know a guy on hague ave in st. paul who homebrews the tastiest stuff ever....my favorite local beer by far, whatever he calls it.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Although PBR doesn't have much for taste, there are plenty of worse tasting beers out there. I find PBR to be 10X better than any Miller product. When a local bar has a special on PBR Tallboys I usually always partake.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
I thought PBR was a Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit thing moreso than a Mpls thing? But hey, more power to anyone who prefers a cheap piece of crap to some of the expensive micro brews out there! I personally am a Bud Light hound, but there are days (esp. with this economy) that I wish I loved Coors Light, High Life, PBR, Schlitz or Strohs instead because they are all much cheaper here than Bud Light, but I still imbibe ;-)

As far as local Micros are concerned I think Granite City makes a decent few, Surly is becomming an obvious choice, but it seems like micro brews are few and far between around here, which really sucks! I keep waiting for somebody to post something about a micro-brewery that I've never heard of because I'm always on the lookout!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I think PBR has become the hipster's brand of choice in cities nationwide. The Twin Cities seem to have an awful lot of hipsters (although I don't know if any more per capita than other cities?), so I'm not surprised that it's practically everywhere you look. (plus, I suppose, enough of the traditional non-hipster PBR crowd is still around to buy it)

Old 02-21-2010, 11:55 AM

77 posts, read 305,460 times
PBR is palatable, affordable, and effective. not everyone is a rich yuppie. and i know plenty of folks who can afford whatever they want to drink and still remain loyal to PBR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul