Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM

102 posts, read 162,446 times

Advertisements

I think the whole city could use razing, but that's just me and why I plan to move soon. 32 years is enough here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrguyMN View Post
I think the whole city could use razing, but that's just me and why I plan to move soon. 32 years is enough here.

Don't let the door hit you.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Absolutely correct. The only remotely decent thing about it is the 1st Av side. At least that engages the street. The Hennepin side might just as well be a blank wall, with the only two entrances being at the corners and the elevator.
To me that's the biggest problem. An urban building must engage the street. The lack of windows on the Hennepin side is what contributes to the loitering and crime. You don't want to be "stuck" in the middle of the block along a windowless wall.

Regarding Hooters...I don't think there's a problem with Hooters per se. The issue to me is that it's a suburban-style business (like Applebee's) -- so what's it doing downtown? It has no business downtown. The Hooters at the MOA has a dirty little secret, and I don't mean the table service Their food is not bad. And they don't use trans fats, which is more than most places can say. (But I go there about once a year, so it doesn't really matter.) The idea of evicting Hooters strikes me as strange. Does the landlord have another tenant lined up? The place surely doesn't need any more vacancies.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
The idea of evicting Hooters strikes me as strange. Does the landlord have another tenant lined up? The place surely doesn't need any more vacancies.
From the article the OP quoted:

Quote:
[LEFT]The restaurant, which is still open, owes Block E Realty $442,564 for back rent
[/LEFT]
I'm in Block E quite a bit because it's the closest movie theatre to me, and I didn't know there was a Hooters in there for the longest time. The layout of that whole place is terrible, and I agree with some of the other posters that say that the suburban style stores don't make sense. If I want to go to Applebee's or EB Games, I can just as easily go to any number of other malls.

The more "touristy" places like Gameworks and Hard Rock are overpriced and underwhelming, and I certainly don't see them as being destinations for either suburbanites or out-of-towners.

Hopefully Keiran's will do well in their new location. It's the sort of thing in there that should have been built in the first place.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Where are some cool "small" bars downtown. Not specifically dive bars, but places you would consider 'pub-like". I went to one a few blocks from 1st Ave Venue when seeing a concert, and it was a really cool place, i just wish I remember what it was called. i do remember walking PAST hooters to go to it

Is the Lodge still downtown? That place was like a yuppie-pub, but it was still fun the few times i went there.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 AM

191 posts, read 349,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I hate Block E. I think Block E is perhaps the only block I can think of downtown where I think it would be better off just torn down and built anew.
Agree 100%. I walk through it everyday M-F on my way to Lifetime in the Target Center, it's just a garbage layout and I've always thought so. Hooters is always a ghost town, granted this is around 3pm on a weekday so that's to be expected. I see that Marso dude all the time in the skyways.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Where are some cool "small" bars downtown. Not specifically dive bars, but places you would consider 'pub-like". I went to one a few blocks from 1st Ave Venue when seeing a concert, and it was a really cool place, i just wish I remember what it was called. i do remember walking PAST hooters to go to it

Is the Lodge still downtown? That place was like a yuppie-pub, but it was still fun the few times i went there.
The Irish pub you're referring to is O'Donovans. I think it's a decent place, I had a Murphy's Stout there last night before the T-Wolves game.

Come on man, there are very few bars in the world that could hope to attain the suckiness of The Lodge...terrible, terrible place.

Small bars downtown? It's hard to say what type of place you like. Have you tried Rosen's across from The Drink? It's a smaller, laid back sports bar, you should check it out.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The Irish pub you're referring to is O'Donovans. I think it's a decent place, I had a Murphy's Stout there last night before the T-Wolves game.

Come on man, there are very few bars in the world that could hope to attain the suckiness of The Lodge...terrible, terrible place.

Small bars downtown? It's hard to say what type of place you like. Have you tried Rosen's across from The Drink? It's a smaller, laid back sports bar, you should check it out.

Maybe I am impartial to the Lodge because I went there after a Twins game once and had $5 cups for beer and liked a band that was playing... Since then I always thought it was cool (I only went back once more though)

Why does it suck so bad?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Maybe I am impartial to the Lodge because I went there after a Twins game once and had $5 cups for beer and liked a band that was playing... Since then I always thought it was cool (I only went back once more though)

Why does it suck so bad?
They usually don't have promotions like that, the place is usually WAY overpriced. The clientelle is the most bothersome though, which is comparable to what you'd find at Sneaky Pete's, Drink, Bar Abilene, etc. Very annoying and very superficial. True story, I was there once and I overheard a guy say to another guy "hey, come on man, let's go get some tail!" This type of thing is commonplace there. I know this because, unfortunately, I've been there at least a dozen times.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM

191 posts, read 349,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
They usually don't have promotions like that, the place is usually WAY overpriced. The clientelle is the most bothersome though, which is comparable to what you'd find at Sneaky Pete's, Drink, Bar Abilene, etc. Very annoying and very superficial. True story, I was there once and I overheard a guy say to another guy "hey, come on man, let's go get some tail!" This type of thing is commonplace there. I know this because, unfortunately, I've been there at least a dozen times.
Indeed. They are not "lets hang out and have a good, laid back time" type bars, they're "hey brah lets go get plowed and see how much tail we can pick up while our fiancee's are out of town" bars. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul