Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times

Advertisements

recsteiner-

Where you around when the Vikes were created?
How were they received right away by Minnesotans and the Twin Cities?
Does anybody remmeber the early 1960s and what it was like to get a NFL, MLB and NHL team all within a few years?? Anyone with answers or input would be GREAT~!

I suppose down in GA, the team of choice is the Falcons, are there any Vikes fans down there??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
recsteiner-

How were they received right away by Minnesotans and the Twin Cities?
Does anybody remmeber the early 1960s and what it was like to get a NFL, MLB and NHL team all within a few years?? Anyone with answers or input would be GREAT~!
Great book on this subject is... "True Hearts and Purple Heads" by Jim Klobuchar. Carried mine with me for years until it finally disintegrated from use. Always meant to get another copy and read it again.

Book begins with the inception of the Vikings and Norm Van Brocklins psychotic training camp methods up near Bemidji State with a rookie QB from Georgia whose name escapes me at this time. Recall it covers up to and including their first super bowl loss to KC. Great insight into Bud Grant, The Purple People Eaters and what it was like to play and watch games at Met Stadium.

shouldn't be hard to get a more extensive review sonewhere else but for someone who wants to know about those early teams and their fans fans, this book is a must read.

Amazon.com: True Hearts and Purple Heads: An Unauthorized Biography of a Football Team: Jim Klobuchar: Books

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
recsteiner-

Nah. I'm only 47 (born in 1962).

Quote:
I suppose down in GA, the team of choice is the Falcons, are there any Vikes fans down there??!
I've run across a couple of Vikings fans, sure, and seen some stickers and tee shirts. The ones I've met were from MN and Nebraska. Lots of transplants like myself down here.

I've learned, though, that there are still some bad feelings down here about the 1994 World Series (Twins vs. Braves), mainly about the Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant play at first. Folks here seem to respect the Twins and consider that Series to be a great one and a very even match, but that was seen as a dirty play.

I personally think the Braves just needed better training in "Staying on First Base 101".

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Nah. I'm only 47 (born in 1962).
...I've learned, though, that there are still some bad feelings down here about the 1994 World Series (Twins vs. Braves), mainly about the Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant play at first. Folks here seem to respect the Twins and consider that Series to be a great one and a very even match, but that was seen as a dirty play.

I personally think the Braves just needed better training in "Staying on First Base 101".
That's great news, our own version of the "Hail Mary Pass" and with about as much in the way of a legitimate complaint. I've seen this play countless times with a great deal of satisfaction (grew up in Hrbek's neighborhood and went to school with his older brother) and about all Hrbek could be accused of is applying a tag with a bit extra pressure on Gant's thigh and maybe, just maybe, a little bit of shoulder pressure.

Hrbek had claimed for years that upon retirement he was going to join the WWF and wrestle under the moniker of T-Rex. I have even seen references to this tag being called "The T-Rex Tag". There is a bar at the new Twins stadium called Hrbek's that he is associated with to some degree. One of the menu-offerings is the Rex Burger; "a one-half pound, all-beef burger stuffed with caramelized onions and pepper jack cheese, served on a brioche roll".

Tell all of your friends to come up here for the Braves series this June and pay a visit to Hrbeks, first beer's on me to the gentlemen wearing a scripted "A" hat.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Great book on this subject is... "True Hearts and Purple Heads" by Jim Klobuchar. Carried mine with me for years until it finally disintegrated from use. Always meant to get another copy and read it again.

Book begins with the inception of the Vikings and Norm Van Brocklins psychotic training camp methods up near Bemidji State with a rookie QB from Georgia whose name escapes me at this time. Recall it covers up to and including their first super bowl loss to KC. Great insight into Bud Grant, The Purple People Eaters and what it was like to play and watch games at Met Stadium.

shouldn't be hard to get a more extensive review sonewhere else but for someone who wants to know about those early teams and their fans fans, this book is a must read.

Amazon.com: True Hearts and Purple Heads: An Unauthorized Biography of a Football Team: Jim Klobuchar: Books
Oh interesting, I'll definitely check that out tonight at Barnes and Noble. Another question, you mentioned training camp near Bemidji, where else have they been? I know Mankato hasn't ALWAYS been the home.. A few years ago they pushed for River Falls, WI as the place..What a travesty that would have been, training camp in Packerland?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM

216 posts, read 645,436 times
Quote:
Yeah, the old Duluth Eskimos, too bad the Hollywood Movie 'Leatherheads' sucked so bad.

Just like in other major sports, NFL has had it's era's, and I never include (either do sports references) the pre- Super Bowl era, it was just a totally different game.

So, I guess, EDIT: The Vikes are one of the original Super Bowl era expansion teams, or PRE MERGER teams...

Go take Jim Thorpe and put him on a field now, he would be destroyed.

Plus, people who can remember the early NFL days are probably dead now or too old TO remember those teams such as the Chicago Cardinals,
..... Duluth Eskimos, etc.
I'm old and not dead...I remember the Chicago Cards.

And Jim Thorpe and MOST of the early football tough guys would kick a$$ in any era.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
I'm old and not dead...I remember the Chicago Cards.

And Jim Thorpe and MOST of the early football tough guys would kick a$$ in any era.

My apologies, I intended for it to mean that it was such a long time ago that they may be forgotton...

And after a second thought, I agree with the early tough guy statement. Just now-a-days, guys are quicker, faster, and bigger.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 AM

335 posts, read 675,413 times
I think the twincities could support 10 NHL teams!!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
My apologies, I intended for it to mean that it was such a long time ago that they may be forgotton...

And after a second thought, I agree with the early tough guy statement. Just now-a-days, guys are quicker, faster, and bigger.
But will they play with pain like an old-school player?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
But will they play with pain like an old-school player?
Ha, exactly!

I think back to the days of the Steel Curtain and Purple People Eaters. Not old enough to remember, but from pictures, stories and videos, it is clear that those were some tough MFers.

Playing with dislocated fingers and wrists, gashes in the face, missing teeth....

Now-a-days they are all prima donnas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul