Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM

18 posts, read 19,431 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Twin Cities for work in the 394 & 100 area, near Golden Valley. I am a late 20s professional male who enjoys urban excitment (sporting events, restaurants, pubs etc), but at heart really needs the outdoors (quiet & peaceful). I do a lot of mountain & road biking, running, hiking etc.

Its always a challenge to live near both in a city, but fortunanely my current living situation offers both very close. Think of the calm right outside the storm.

Looking for suggestions of where to live in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Check out the Uptown area. You have the urban density of restaurants, shops and bars of Uptown and right next door you have the chain of lakes for biking, running, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Consider near the parkway. It goes through several different areas of the city and there's some nice, natural areas on it.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times
You'd probably enjoy living near Theodore Wirth Park (either in Golden Valley or the Bryn Mawr neighborhood of Minneapolis), or near the chain of lakes in Minneapolis. Depends on your budget, how close to nature vs. a night out you'd rather be, and what else you're looking for in a neighborhood. To be in easy biking distance of uptown, downtown, the "Grand Rounds" parkway system, and the rails-to-trails bike paths, not to mention, the office, would be ideal, no?

The Golden Valley neighborhoods just northeast of where you'll be working happen to be very nice, with lots of mature trees, hills, and valleys. When I finally invent some way to make myself rich, I'd love to own a home in that area. You'll have an easier time finding a place to rent in Minneapolis though. The Bryn-Mawr and Cedar/Isles/Kenwood/Dean neighborhoods in Minneapolis (Here's the map: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf ) are about as good as it gets in the city for a nature lover into outdoor recreation, especially for someone working where you'll be working. They're also the most expensive. What's your budget like, and are you looking to buy a place here, or rent? Either way, you're going to like it here, as long as you last through the winters, that is.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
I would echo Gonagle, and say that you should probably just stay close to work. 394 and 100 puts you very close to Theo Wirth Park-- you'll get your fill of hiking and biking, and there is a beach there for nice weather. Theo Wirth Park is, I *believe* about 60% the acreage of Central Park in NY. There is also Victory Memorial Parkway, which does not feel like you are out in the middle of nature by any means, but is very biker friendly.

If you chose Golden Valley or Robbinsdale, you would also be in easy driving distance of Clifton French Park, Elm Creek Regional Park, and Lake Minnetonka. Any of those should satisfy your itch if Theo Wirth gets boring.

Btw, where is your job at 394 and 100?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 19,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Consider near the parkway. It goes through several different areas of the city and there's some nice, natural areas on it.
Do you happen to have a map of where the 'parkway' runs through the cities?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway Home Page.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,445 times
There are some nature areas all along 394 as well, if you poke around for them. The nice thing about the Twin Cities is there is so much parkland that for the most part you'll never feel crowded.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,387 times
You've got it made! If you can find a place within a mile or so of Theodore Wirth park, you'll be about three miles from the nightlife downtown, as well as a mile or two from your job, and right next to th biggest park in the city!

With has:

-A parkway with a paved bike path, and as part of the grand rounds, it's connected to literally hundreds of miles of city and regional paved bike paths.

-Two golf courses

- ~30km of groomed cross country ski trails (which function as biking and hiking trails in the summer)

- A snowboarding area with three two ropes and a couple terrain parks.

-A single-track mountain bike trail

-A lake, two creeks, several ponds, and a large bog, plus all the nearby connected lakes of the grand rounds.

-A beach at the main lake.

-Several large picnic areas.

-A maintained wildflower garden and bird sanctuary.

-Miles and miles and miles of forest with trails to explore and get lost on.

I go to school a couple of miles from Wirth, and during the fall we're up there running on the forest trails at least once a week, and we usually don't see anyone else the entire time we're there. It's very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul