U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,284 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I've been accepted to a professional program at UMN and am needing some ideas of where I can rent an apt. I'm looking for a neighborhood to be lively and safe where I (sngl 30 fem), can walk around without feeling the need to carry mace with me

I'd like the area to be close to UMN but not too close because I don't think I want that young college-day house party feel anymore. I'd prefer more of a young professional area where I can safely take public transportation or within a 10-15 minute drive. Maybe have a few nice lounges or bars for afterwork happy hour thingy. Culture, outgoing, progressive environment are important. Any suggestions on area or specific neighborhoods would be great to help me in starting my research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,355,787 times
I'm biased, but I'd suggest the Uptown area; it's not right by the U, but a lot of students and faculty live in the neighborhood. There are express buses that run up Hennepin and Lyndale and will get you to campus pretty quickly. It's safe, walkable, lots of young professionals, has culture, plenty of active progressive liberals, bars, restaurants, etc. The main part of Uptown is broken down into four different formal (as defined by the city) neighborhoods: ECCO, CARAG, Lowry Hill East (aka "the Wedge), and East Isles. ECCO and East Isles are to the west of Hennepin (and border the lakes); CARAG and the Wedge are to the west. The noisiest is the Wedge, the quietest, ECCO.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 AM

10,244 posts, read 15,040,042 times
I'm a late 20's UMN grad student and I live 2 miles south of the West Bank campus in the Corcoran neighborhood. From where I am it is under 10 minutes in bus, car or the light rail to the West Bank and about a 10 minute drive to the East bank (I haven't taken a bus there yet but I'd assume that's also an option). It's a quiet family-friendly neighborhood with a diverse population with some poverty but a mainly modest middle class population. Affordability definitely played a part in my decision to live there but I also find it to be very convenient in terms of getting back and forth from the West Bank area.

In the discussion between the U of M campus neighborhoods against Uptown I actually prefer the Dinkytown/campus area. I guess it's more of just my personal preference, I'd rather deal with a few loud obnoxious students than with the egos, pretentious hipsters and the pompousness that is commonly found in the immediate Uptown area. All in all both are dense and vibrant areas with plenty to do (bars, restaurants, theaters, etc.)

Also, to avoid argument, the majority of people you come across in either area is perfectly fine, but if you walk around enough chances are you will come in contact with either of these groups of people with a much higher probability in the specified area.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,425,821 times
Avoid Dinkytown and Stadium Village. It's OK if you're an undergrad, but not good for a grad student. I lived in Dinkytown for maybe three years. I was lucky enough to avoid the worst slumlords, but there are horror stories out there. You're less likely to run into problems if you avoid the undergrad areas.

Depending on your program you could also consider the St Paul campus area. It's a lot quieter and there are more grad students around. There's free transit via the campus shuttle.

Also, you may want to forget driving to campus (or at least the East Bank). The University is rapidly expanding right now, and previous parking areas taken for new buildings are not being replaced. Suffice to say that parking is a nightmare on campus. It will be difficult or costly; perhaps both.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,587,040 times
To be honest if I were you I would consider moving a little further out from the U, especially if you are able to take the bus and have a car. Uptown is actually rather expensive for what you'd be paying. I always refused to live in Minneapolis because I wasn't going to pay 400-500 for an apartment that was the size of a closet, not be able to have parking space, and have to be hypervigilant at night.

Have you looked into Golden Valley, St. Louis Park, Bloomington, etc.? You'd be able to find a relatively cheap place to live, but still be within a reasonable distance of the University.

The area around the St. Paul campus is actually very good-- it's nice and quiet and still easy to access busing. If you're around the University, most places are going to be progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>