Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM

678 posts, read 1,059,160 times

Advertisements

Hello all; my wife and I are relocating to Minneapolis, we have no children and I work from home so we're flexible. We've found a nice place in the Powderhorn Park area on Columbus Ave, but since neither of us have much experience with the Minneapolis area, we were wondering if that is a good area. I've found some more information on the forums about this area and it seems to be pretty good but we need more input before making the trip to check out properties, so any input would be nice.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
The park itself is great. The area you're looking at is on the rougher side of the park in my opinion, as you're basically on the border between Powderhorn Park and the Central neighborhood. I'd take a close look at the block you're looking at to see what kind of condition the housing is in which will help give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

In general I really like the area of the city you're looking in. You'd be in the vicinity of alot of great amenities, especially the park, the Midtown Global Market and Midtown Greenway. We live just a mile or so east of there in the Corcoran neighborhood and overall have had a very positive experience there.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 AM

174 posts, read 467,006 times
I would highly recommend renting first (but that may be what you are doing).

Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
I know several people who lived on Columbus in very nice, very well-maintained homes. From their experiences I'd agree with Slig that the blocks themselves can vary. If you want to go out on a lot of late night strolls it might not be the best option, depending on your own comfort level. On the other hand, I don't think any of my friends ever had safety issues while at home, and there shouldn't be any problems walking around during the daytime.

So... as to whether or not it's a "good" area depends on your definition. More crime than many areas, but there are some nice blocks, some nice houses, some good prices, and some definite perks.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM

678 posts, read 1,059,160 times
Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks to everyone who responded, the information is very helpful; I guess I will need to check this area out when I make a trip to Minneapolis. I grew up in Saginaw, MI (sad to say according to the FBI, it's the most violent town per capita) so I've dealt with really bad neighborhoods but my wife doesn't share those experiences. We typically don't go out at night and would definitely install an alarm system wherever we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul