Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 14,611 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone has info (personal experience would be great or observations) about living in the greater Minneapolis/St Paul areas, specifically relating to powerchair (electric wheelchair) mobility and how people get around during the winter months with the snows. My hubby is in a chair and we are considering a move but am reticent because he is not the type to stay home much. Mobility is crucial as he cannot drive. Info would be greatly appreciated as I have not found out much about conditions of sidewalks during the winter and the like. Some cities require by law snow removal on sidewalks and many others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,387 times
Property owners are legally required to fully clear all sidewalks, however it is pretty common for a layer of hardpacked snow or ice to develop over the sidewalks over the course of the winter.

Plowing is also very prompt and well-done.

All Metro Transit buses are wheelchair accessible, either by lift or by kneeling, and drivers are very good about helping people on and off, ect. Pretty much everywhere withing Minneapolis proper is just a few blocks from a bus route.

Metro Mobility is another service, and while I've never used it, I beleive it's available to all disabled persons in the area served by Metro Transit. It's a door-to-door van service. I'm sure you could read about it online.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't know what it's like as a wheelchair, but I do know how tough it can be on the streets with a stroller. Most people are good about clearing their sidewalks promptly, but it seems like there's always someone who is too lazy to do it, or to do it well. The city is generally fairly good about responding to complaints and forcing them to clear it. I think residents have up to 48 hours to clear their sidewalks, but most people do it fairly quickly. Apartment buildings have less time, and businesses are supposed to do it within just a couple of hours.

Earlier in March (or late February?) back when the snow was melting it was tough going for a bit there, as the snow would melt onto the sidewalk, refreeze, or turn into a muddle of half-melted icy slush.

Overall, though, the majority of the year -- even in the winter -- I assume he should be able to get around fairly well, especially if he can supplement with metro mobility and if you find a place that has good public transportation options.

I would also agree with DaPerpKazoo's observation that the bus drivers seem to be very good. I do see people in wheelchairs on the bus quite frequently, even in the snow, so it can definitely be done. That said, I'm sure there are easier places to live.

Depending on what he likes to do and if he'll be commuting to work, you might want to consider living somewhere like downtown; the sidewalks are wider, the snow is generally cleared faster and curb-to-curb, and there will be lots of bus and some rail options. Also, there's the skyway system, which makes it possible to get around much of downtown without ever going outside during the winter; some of it might be a hassle with a wheelchair, but despite some of the kinks it would still probably be pretty easy.

The suburbs are going to be more hit-or-miss on the mobility front. Some don't have sidewalks at all, while others have them, but the commercial areas still aren't really assuming that there's a lot of pedestrian activity (in or out of a wheelchair) and sometimes are not the best about keeping the sidewalks fully clear or the intersections free of drifts. One more suburban option that comes to mind as somewhere that I'm guessing might be fairly wheelchair-friendly during the winter months is the part of Edina around Southdale; there are a bunch of apartment complexes in that general area, and they've been working on making the area better and safer for walking. There are small buses that meander around the residential areas (which are all fairly close to things like Southdale Mall, the library/government center, and a bunch of other stores and businesses) and drop off/pick up right by the apartment entrances. Those buses also stop off and pick up directly in front of places like Target, the grocery store, etc; there seem to be a lot of senior citizen buildings on the routes, too, so they seem to be designed with the needs of people who have more limited mobility of one kind or another.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
In our area, Rosemount, there is either a sidewalk or a bike/walking path everywhere. For the most part people are good about clearing their sidewalks and if they are not, the city does enforce the 24 hour rule if people complain. The bike/walking paths are plowed by the city. We also have door to door service through the MVTA and he would also likely qualify for DARTS or Metro Mobility to take him places. Our area is also pretty flat so he wouldn't have to worry about hills.

There are some nice, one level townhomes right across the street from the shopping center in our town so he would have immediate access to the grocery store, coffee shops, movie theaters, etc. With the bus system we are only about 3 miles from pretty much everything else. Also, traffic is minimal so you wouldn't have to worry about that either. Quite frequently you see people in power wheelchairs buzzing around town here.

Is being in the metro area critical? If not, I would also suggest looking at Marshall, MN. Southwest State University there was the first completely handicapped accessible university in the nation. It was designed to accommodate people with disabilities. The town itself is flat,flat, flat, we joke that the only hills in town are the speed bumps. The University brings in a lot of cultural activities and seeing people around town on motorized wheelchairs is very common. They have a great local bus service as well. One of the professors at SMSU is blind and walks to and from the U every day with his dog (about 2 miles). Everyone knows him and helps him when necessary.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM

356 posts, read 606,025 times
As someone who experienced a temporary disability in the dead of winter, I would have to say the Twin Cities is NOT the best for someone in a wheelchair or with a disability that falling is a worry, walking in winter is a problem or needing cleared parking spots in the legal period of time after a snowfall.

KSTP did a story on this very subject this past winter and I agree with it a million percent: KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - Icy Sidewalks Create Hazards for the Disabled (http://kstp.com/article/stories/S1343733.shtml?cat=0 - broken link) I wasn't in a wheelchair. I used a walker and then a cane. But no way would I have been able to walk on any of those streets and as the story states, a wheelchair is impossible.

I had hip replacement surgery two years ago and my recovery was during the winter. I was able to drive after three weeks, but going out depended upon the condition of sidewalks and handicap parking stalls. The bylaw officer at the City of Rosemount got MANY calls from me complaining about the lack of cleared Handicap stalls at the local shopping centers. They were covered in snow and ice after the 24 hour period they had to clear after a snowfall. He recognized my voice after a period of time and did contact the violators, but the problem I had is I had to call all the time. They were never fined, never cited. Nothing. But he did take action. I also made similar calls to the City of Burnsville, Eagan, Richfield, Edina, Apple Valley et al.

The Caribou in Apple Valley, the handicap stall was completely covered in ice, yet the other parking stalls were clear... all full though, so I couldn't get out of the car. Joe Sensor's in Eagan's handicap stalls were where the snow was piled up... completely inaccessible.

Downtown areas may be better for a wheelchair in terms of using the sidewalk, but I doubt it. If you rely upon handicap parking, you cannot rely upon them being clear or available. I had difficulty getting handicap stalls b/c winter is when they are at a premium and in many places, there are not enough. At one place in Eagan, there were no handicap stalls. My husband dropped me off at the entrance, I asked where the stalls were and they told me at the back of the building, which is against the law.. they must be the closest stalls.

So, I called the city of Eagan and the follow up call informed me the stalls were knocked down and covered by snow plows but they gave them 48 hours to comply with the law. I think they moved them so that there would be more front parking for able bodied customers b/c the City of Eagan got a different story than I did.

I could go on and on about the difficulties I experienced. I'm lucky that my disability was temporary because it was a constant battle.

One plus side is if you have a handicap placard, you can park at any meter in Downtown St Paul and Minneapolis for free.

There is no way a person is buzzing around Rosemount in a wheelchair in the dead of winter. Summertime, sure, but winter? It just doesn't happen. I couldn't walk on the sidewalks, many of the parking lots were icy. Cub center was pretty good, but the biggest culprit is/was where Subway is. Even the eye doctor's office handicap stalls were unusable for a disabled person. I first tried calling the management company, they didn't do anything, so then I called the City.

If mobility is a real issue for you, I don't know where you live right now, but a milder climate without snow and ice might be better since it is very important to your husband. I know I would have had a nervous breakdown if I had to deal with what I did for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul