Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 53,133 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am going to Minneapolis in 2 weeks. Never been . What are the main attractions that I need to see ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 PM

166 posts, read 391,214 times
Nature scene: Stone arch bridge, Minnehaha park, Chain of lakes, Fort Snelling state park. In fact they do offer Minneapolis history tour on Segways if you want to do that as well.

Institutes/architecture : Guthrie theater, University of MN Walker art center, Basilica of St. Mary, IDS tower, Old Mill district (adjacent to stone bridge & the Guthrie), Mall of America (you can take light-rail from down town), the locking dam of the Mississippi river etc.

Restaurants: I'd go uptown Minneapolis

Bars and clubs: Downtown Minneapolis

I also recommend taking a short drive across river to St. Paul and see down town St. Paul. The state capital building is there, another basilica as well as great view of the downtown and the river from a hill.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,152 times
Science Museum of Minnesota in St paul Science Museum of Minnesota - Minnesota's Favorite Museum

Childrens Museum if you have kids(I went here on a first grade field trip back in 1999 or 2000 and I absolutely loved it, even though I vaguely remember it)Minnesota Children's Museum - Home

ValleyFair Amusement park in shakopee if your into amusement parks.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Science Museum of Minnesota in St paul Science Museum of Minnesota - Minnesota's Favorite Museum

Childrens Museum if you have kids(I went here on a first grade field trip back in 1999 or 2000 and I absolutely loved it, even though I vaguely remember it)Minnesota Children's Museum - Home

ValleyFair Amusement park in shakopee if your into amusement parks.
Is Valley Fair open this time of year?

Oh, yeah: and I echo everybody else's suggestions. It has been in the 60's and 70's here the past few weeks, and will probably only get warmer as April turns to May, so outdoor activities abound!

Check out the MIA, too...don't know if the first poster mentioned it. The Guthrie is cool, but it can be expensive to get tickets to a show there, and demands an entire evening. If that's not your thing, though, I would definately recommend going down and checking it out just for its architectural merit.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
University of MN Walker art center
Point of clarity: unless you missed a comma, I believe you are thinking of the Weisman, as the Walker is not on the U of M's campus, and is not affiliated with the U.

Also, not to be nitpicky, but the 'basilica' in St. Paul is actually a 'cathedral' (we card-carrying Catholics are made to memorize this type of thing )

Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Is Valley Fair open this time of year?
You know what, I didn't even think about that, LOL.

Silly me

Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 PM

166 posts, read 391,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Point of clarity: unless you missed a comma, I believe you are thinking of the Weisman, as the Walker is not on the U of M's campus, and is not affiliated with the U.

Also, not to be nitpicky, but the 'basilica' in St. Paul is actually a 'cathedral' (we card-carrying Catholics are made to memorize this type of thing )
I stand corrected. What is the different between Basilica and Cathedral? I can google this but ....

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
I stand corrected. What is the different between Basilica and Cathedral? I can google this but ....
Basilica essentially just means "important church," whereas a cathedral is the "chair" or seat of a diocese (or in our case, archdiocese).

My understanding is that the the comparison between the two is somewhat apples to oranges; that is to say, any church can be a basilica, but unless the basilica is also a cathedral, it is not of any substantial importance from a heirarchical standpoint.

Take for instance our archdiocese: the Cathedral of St. Paul is the seat of the Archdiocese, where the archbishop says mass. The Basilica of St. Mary is also technically a cathedral: where the assisting bishop says mass. In this case, even though it may be counter-intuitive, the cathedral is-- for all intents and purposes-- more important than the basilica.

The Vatican designates certain churches as basilicas; it's an honor, of sorts. Our basilica was the first designated basilica in the United States.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Basilica of Saint Mary, Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This wiki lays it out pretty clearly: the basilica is a "co-cathedral" with St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul