Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM

129 posts, read 388,559 times

Advertisements

Wondering if there is any neighborhood that is served by light rail (either the existing line or the upcoming line) and that also has good local public elementary schools. And by "served by light rail" i mean ideally being able to walk to the station.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
None right now.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

383 posts, read 900,790 times
The Nokomis area is within a walk away from the light rail and it's by a good neighborhood. But I wouldn't go to the elementary schools over there.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Seward has a good (public) Montessori school. And while I'm not sure which schools over near Nokomis are good, I would give them a closer look. Same with Longfellow. I've heard good things about Hale (elementary), for example.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Wondering if there is any neighborhood that is served by light rail (either the existing line or the upcoming line) and that also has good local public elementary schools. And by "served by light rail" i mean ideally being able to walk to the station.

Thanks in advance...

Big Lake.

Great School district, cool small town. About 40 minutes to Minneapolis by car, about 20 minutes to St. Cloud.

Served by light rail, about hr ride into DT Mpls

Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM

383 posts, read 900,790 times
Actually, the North Star rail is heavy rail, not light rail, and it's very limited.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
From what I've heard, Seward Elementary isn't that bad. I've actually heard alot of good things about it from my neighbors. I'm guessing the school serves students from Seward, Longfellow, Corcoran and maybe parts of Phillips East.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
^ I forgot to specify the school when I earlier mentioned Seward; Slig is talking about the same school I mentioned in my post (the elementary, although it also has an attached junior high). It has a good reputation.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 AM

33 posts, read 78,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
None right now.
Come on now.

The Seward neighborhood is a short walk from the Franklin station, and has Seward Montessori - great school.

The Longfellow neighborhood is a short walk from both the 46th st. station and the 38th st. station, and has Dowling Elementary - another great school.

Longfellow is closer to the light rail line by a few minutes, but both neighborhoods are excellent places to raise your children. I grew up around there.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Actually, the North Star rail is heavy rail, not light rail, and it's very limited.

Just to set the record straight, there are (at least) three types of rail transit:

Light Rail Transit (LRT): This is what we have on the Hiawatha Line--with overhead wires for electricity-powered vehicles. LRT typically has frequent interval service throughout the day, running trains often enough that you don't need to check a train schedule.

Heavy Rail: We don't have this in the Twin Cities. This category includes the El Trains in Chicago, the subways in Toronto, NYC, Washington DC and BART in San Fran. These systems are the most expensive and have fast speed service between stations (typically .5 to 1.0 mile apart). You can identify heavy rail by its use of a Third Rail lying between or adjacent to the rails. This third rail carries the high voltage electricity needed for the trains to run.

Commuter rail: This is what the Northstar Line is. These trains often have an engine pulling them (if they're diesel powered) --like Metra in Chicago and our own Northstar, or can run on electricity through overhead wires (like NJ Transit). You can generally cross these tracks safely because there is no third rail. Commuter Rail typically is heavily oriented to serving commuters, with many in-bound trains in the morning and many out-bound trains in the afternoon. You'd be wise to check the train schedule for commuter rail!

Of course there's also people movers like downtown Detroit and at airports, and streetcar lines too (which is most similar to LRT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul