U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,782,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
Stay in Des Moines
Do you care to elaborate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,898,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
Camden/Victory - Holy *****. Lock the doors, revert to combat mode. I don't reccomend anyone who doesn't have armor and side-arms even look in the general direction of this place. We drove through on the way to Robbinsdale. Initially, we drove through the curvey road next to the river and it seemed fine. Then, we got a few blocks to the west and it was pedal to the metal without trying to look out of place.

Robbinsdale - Once we got to about Broadway and some park next to a hilly road, the neighborhood went from scary to super peaceful all at once. We saw hookers and groups wearing like-colored clothing one block, and then families out raking the yard and grilling out the next. We really like Robbinsdale. The problem is, what parts of it are too close to the Victory/Camden to be safe? The one thing I don't like about some of the Robbinsdale area is the alleyways that you use to access your garage. How do you keep this area free of snow in the winter? Also, where is the Target and modern grocery store?
Lol. Whatever....I don't think I can help you out, man....

Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
AV Guy - awesome post! So good to hear from someone so similar. Quite possibly the best post so far in terms of insight provided. Is Falcon Heights/Lauderdale the area where Izzy's Ice Cream is? We were referred there and really liked the surrounding areas. The problem is the lack of housing in our price range. The reason we limited our areas to these is because of their affordability. That being said, if I do well financially after school, we may look to move to Edin Prairie, Falcon Heights/Rosedale area to grow our family. Did you go to the U of M too? What Class? What type of law do you practice?

Swmrbird - Also, thanks for the insight. Is there some kind of network for "immigrants" from DSM? I live in Urbandale/Waukee north of Hickman in a new construction community. To elaborate on my analogy of Bloomington to South Side, my observations of the eastern point (near the southern edge & not too far from the mall), were that the houses were a little run-down and we did notice a spontaneous trailer park. I actually grew up on the south side until I was about 13 in the mid-ninties (then we moved to Johnston). I know the South Side pretty well, and while Bloomington had its unique parts, it definately had the same southside twist. Perhaps the other areas of Bloom are better. WHy is it you would avoid Robbinsdale? It seemed pretty nice (at least the parts wer were in).
Izzy's is in Merriam Park, and if you have any concern about crime at all in Robbinsdale or Victory, I would not recommend it. In fact, I wouldn't recommend Como.

That's not to say that either of those areas are high crime, per se....but if Victory crime scares you, then stay out of Como or Merriam Park.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,316,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
There were some break-ins, some guy was arrested, I've heard of no further problems. You can check the weekly police reports on the Sun Post to get a sense of what goes on in town every week.

Based on the City of Robbinsdale Police site, it was more than 'some'...as far as crimes overall. I hadn't heard about anyone being caught.

Regardless, like I said - I've never feared for my safety (and I'm driving through at 11 and 12 at night) but would be more concerned for personal property. That said, I live in Plymouth and there have been quite a few car break-ins there, too; so it's not like this only happens in Robbinsdale.

My point is just that there are probably better options, especially since the OP seems to have quite a few towns/suburbs to consider. (And when considering where he's coming from in DM, Robbinsdale is far from similar).

Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,785,789 times
To the OP: from reading this thread, it sounds like you'd probably be happiest in the far suburbs/exurbs. Big Lake sounds like it would be good for you. Although it is 40 miles from MPLS, you could still catch the Northstar to downtown Minneapolis, so you'd have an option other than driving. Elk River is another outer suburb on the Northstar line, a little closer to Minneapolis but still far from the big city problems. You'd probably be able to find cheap(er) houses for rent in those areas as well.

If you want to be a little closer, then Plymouth is a good option. It's only 7 miles from Minneapolis and just west of Robbinsdale/New Hope/Crystal, but is a lot more "suburban" in character than those areas. Housing is more expensive in Plymouth though, and your only commute option other than driving is the bus.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM

252 posts, read 564,185 times
As I mentioned before, I live in a pretty safe area. However, there are areas of DSM that are not as safe but still not considered dangerous (i.e. Beaverdale - grew up there until I was 5 and have relatives that still live there). I wouldn't mind living there, and Robbinsdale/Crystal reminded me a lot of that.

Also, to swmbird, I'll repeat that I'm not sure if Victory was the same area as I was thinking. I may have confused Webber-Camden with Camden/Victory.

I do know that the crime-maps seemed to be really colorful around Victory, save about a 12 block x 8 block area to the west of the park and a small area about the same size to the west of Victory Pkwy. That alone is enough to disuade me from the area. This being said, the crime-maps appear to be relatively quiet around Robbinsdale, Crystal, and New Hope. The other caveat is that I don't want to be in a safe area close to a bad area since kids (mine, specificially) tend to wander from block to block as they get older. I want a nice buffer of safe area between our house and the bad parts.

Crime is a funny thing. You have to consider that most of the crime likely factored into the "some" analysis on the Police website is likely theft of merchandise from storefronts. I'm more concerned about the aggrevated assaults and residential burglaries, murders, and gun crimes. I will say that when I was in high school that I was parked on the street outside my Urbandale (10 year old development at the time) and had my car broken into and my stereo stolen; yet I still felt perfectly safe going outside after dark.

You can usually tell if you drive around in new places whether you get that safe vibe or the uneasy vibe, and thats more/less what I'm referring to when I refer to "safe areas". I felt pretty safe in Robbinsdale, just not on the drive to Robbinsdale. I also felt relatively safe at UM West Bank, however I wouldn't feel as safe if I had to live there with my family.

Here's a question in a new direction. What parts of Robbinsdale, New Hope, and Crystal would you avoid? These are pretty elongated suburbs, and I'm sure they are not entirely homogenous.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,490,318 times
nrogers-

I was pretty sure I had responded to your confusion about the Vctry neighborhood in another post, but I since can't find that so not sure if it was deleted. I'm really not trying to be obtuse or abrasive here, I really just want to clear up some of the confusion on this thread.

1) You are using Camden/Victory interchangeably. Victory is a neighborhood area in the broader Camden area that borders the northern part of Robbinsdale (along Victory parkway)- they are not one in the same. The broader Camden and Near North areas make up the Northside of Minneapolis.

2) I'm pretty sure you drove down West Broadway Avenue to get to Robbinsdale (did you go over a bridge and past a hospital followed by a Rainbow Foods on the left and Crystal Lake on the right?). In which case, the area you were traversing was neither the Victory Neighborhood nor the broader Camden area- your entire travails to get to Robbinsdale would have been through the Near North side of town (granted, Near North and Camden intersect as you cross the bridge over into Robbinsdale- so you could have seen Camden- Cleveland neighborhood off to the right as you went over the bridge).

3) I don't think you were ever actually in Victory (and possibly not even Camden), unless you were confusing the Victory Neighborhood for Robbinsdale, which actually does happen to persons not very familiar with the area somewhat regularly. I just posted some pics of a few streets/homes in Victory on another thread, so check those to see if it looks like any areas you actually thought were Robbinsdale (note that much of Robbinsdale and Victory actually look fairly similar, however).

4) I'm not sure which crime maps you are exactly referring to, but I'm also pretty sure the 12X8 block area that was devoid of color/crime "west of the park" that you referred to is actually the Victory Neighborhood, and what you are referring to as the park is actually Crystal Lake Cemetary. Also, the area west of Victory Memorial Parkway (also devoid of color) is actually Robbinsdale. Note that Victory is a low-crime area and the stats here are pretty similar to Robbinsdale.

5) Victory borders are Crystal Lake Cemetary/Newton Ave N on the east, Dowling Ave on the south, Victory Memorial Parkway on the west, and Ryan Lake/ Victory Prairie & Dog Park (areas south of Canadian Pacific Railyards) on the north- it's pretty much encapsulated by park/green space save for the south border. Robbinsdale is west of Victory Memorial Parkway and borders the Victory, Cleveland, Jordan, and Willard-Homewood neighborhoods in the Camden (Victory/Cleveland) and Near North (Jordan/Willard-Homewood) areas of the Northside respectively. Robbinsdale is bordered on the south by Golden Valley (which also borders Near North's Willard Homewood neighborhood) and on the north by Brooklyn Center.

6) In a previous post on this thread, you mention that you'll probably focus on areas in Robbinsdale west of Crystal Lake to avoid being too close to the Minneapolis side. I think generally the areas bordering the Victory Neighborhood (adjacent to Memorial Parkway and to the north/east side of Crystal Lake) are considered the more desirable areas of Robbinsdale. Some people also make the mistake of thinking there is greater "prestige" factor in living in Robbinsdale areas closer to Golden Valley, but this generally isn't the case with property values and would actually put you closer to city areas with higher crime rates. However, with your price range, you might have a hard time finding a home with decent square footage in both the Victory Neighborhood and the areas of Robbinsdale directly adjacent to it, so it might be wise to target those areas further west or south, but in this market, it's a good idea to always keep a lookout on the MLS as the more affordably priced homes/foreclosures tend to go fairly quickly. I know some good realtors that specialize in Robbinsdale and Victory Neighborhood (actually, several neighbors), so DM me if you'd like a recommendation. There is also a Robbinsdale-based realtor (home and office) that is active on this forum as well.

Good luck-

Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
To the OP: from reading this thread, it sounds like you'd probably be happiest in the far suburbs/exurbs. Big Lake sounds like it would be good for you. Although it is 40 miles from MPLS, you could still catch the Northstar to downtown Minneapolis, so you'd have an option other than driving. Elk River is another outer suburb on the Northstar line, a little closer to Minneapolis but still far from the big city problems. You'd probably be able to find cheap(er) houses for rent in those areas as well.
Elk River and Big Lake are excellent, though I would probably choose Elk River over Big Lake, a little closer but still far from all the big city problems like you said.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Elk River and Big Lake are excellent, though I would probably choose Elk River over Big Lake, a little closer but still far from all the big city problems like you said.
Really? If I were going to be that far out anyway, I would much rather live on a lake....

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Really? If I were going to be that far out anyway, I would much rather live on a lake....
Ya, that is true, and Monticello is like 2-3 miles from Big Lake, which is a plus.
I guess the only reason I said I would choose Elk River is because it is slightly closer to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul