U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM

252 posts, read 564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanzzz View Post
I admire the OP's convictions and desire to do something he wants to do and it takes him out of his comfort zone.

I have no specifics about this area but I am also looking to move there. I have though moved a few times to new areas and I cannot recommend enough about renting when first going to someplace new this includes any of the scenarios you mentioned. I understand all of your reasons and agree with all them for owning over renting. But you do not want to buy a home that does not end up working for you (area, commute, wife's job) or you are hit with some high repairs with your economic ability severely diminished. Also have you factored in what probably is much higher property taxes then where you live now?

I would recommend renting, you can find places that allow six month leases.Once your wife has moved up there, found a job she likes and plans to be there for awhile, you are comfortable with how you can commute and time to school and balance family time not just now theoretical and both you and your wife learn more about the area and adjust to the area you can make a wiser decision of what and where to buy your home.

You and your family are going to go through some big time adjustments of money, time and facing a new city, you do not need to add to that stress by risking buying a home that might not be in the area you like or works for you and your wife transportation/time commuting. You are already making such big adjustments renting for months or a year is not that big of a thing.
Yeah, the more I consider it, the more renting a townhome appeals to me. This way I'll be able to break out the smoker and grill from time to time, and I'll be able to have a basement to store all of our non-needed homeowner gear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

371 posts, read 509,369 times
Default Saint Anthony and the West Bank

See if this map works:

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

The West Bank is by the S in Minneapolis.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM

136 posts, read 313,058 times
Funny...I had never heard of the Village of St. Anthony before Saturday when someone was telling me how great the schools are. Sounds like great advice.

I am going to be the mother hen again here and tell you that Eden Prairie is too far from the West Bank and that you should look closer . I'll admit I am a city girl, having lived in both Mpls and St. Paul. The cities are simply too great to pass up, and why spend all that time commuting and paying for gas?

I am very happy to hear that you will not be buying a home and are going to rent - very happy to hear that.

I truly hope that everything goes well for you as you move up here and begin your first year!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 AM

507 posts, read 842,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that once I move up there and start school and she can put my apartment address on her resume/application, that more calls will roll in.

Its really just like the Army. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Big factory U's are VERY like the Army-full of careerists with no thought for anything else.

I attended the U after being in Army , felt like I was still in.

Sent my daughter to Macalester, MUCH better !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul