Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM

118 posts, read 388,736 times

Advertisements

Wish that I had replied earlier because I have a pretty good understanding of where the OP is coming from. I spent my teenage years in the Des Moines suburbs and moved to Minneapolis after law school, though I waited to have kids until after school (but you'll encounter plenty of fellow students with kids).

Although I lived in the Twin Cities before my family moved to Iowa when I was younger, not being a life-long resident of the area, I cannot comment as extensively as the earlier posters. However, I'm a little surprised that you didn't consider the Como/Roseville/Lauderdale/Falcon Heights area. The U has two main campus, one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul, with easy access between the two campuses. Students wanting to live close to campus, but not wishing to live with the undergrads in Dinkytown, tend to find housing northeast of campus. In fact, I've known of several young professionals whom liked the area so much that they buy their first homes around there. Perhaps someone can provide more feedback of this area.

Note that I have nothing against the Robbinsdale/Crystal/New Hope/Golden Valley area. Robbinsale and Golden Valley (especially east of Theo Wirth) is getting younger, and my perception of Crystal and New Hope is that these are working class neighborhoods with older populations. As you consider these areas, don't discount how busy the intersection of 394 and 94 is before the Lowry Hill Tunnel during morning rush hour. It sounds like you'll be fighting the morning rush hour everyday to get to school by 8 a.m. The commute into downtown Minneapolis is easy from this side of town, but much more difficult as you head further east.

Regarding how areas compare to Des Moines, it's hard to compare because very few areas of Des Moines have 'big city' problems. Within the core cities, I always associate north Minneapolis with the north side of Des Moines (near North High School) and east St. Paul with the east side of Des Moines (near East High School), but that could have more to do with the relative locations of the areas within each city. If you moved Southdale from Edina (not to be confused with Southridge in Des Moines), plopped it down in western Chanhassen, and expanded the mall, you'd have Jordan Creek in West Des Moines. I'm not sure what side reminds me most of the Drake neighborhood, though some neighborhoods in St. Paul come close. Just don't tell St. Paulites that St. Paul reminds you of Des Moines despite some fairly obvious similaries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
^ Great post by AVGuy. I remember there was an earlier thread where neighborhood suggestions were thrown around; I can't remember if those neighborhoods came up or were rejected for one reason or another (maybe cost?), but I completely agree that they absolutely deserve a look.

Just be sure that if you move to Falcon Heights in late August/early September that you factor the MN State Fair into your moving plans! That area is generally pretty quiet, but it's a whole different story during the Fair. It would not be a good time to bring in a moving van.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Okay OP - I just moved to the cities last August from Des Moines. Granted I'm a 24 y/o single female so my needs and requirements were different.

The one thing that jumped out to me....Bloomington is not South Des Moines. Just FYI. Not even close.

All of your requirements may be difficult to meet. You need to decide where you can be a little flexible - personally for me it would be the commute. You're probably better off living a little further away (I'm an advocate of the West suburbs especially for families - however I honestly can't say I know anything about WBL or Fridley).

However, I work in Robbinsdale - definitely would be pretty far down on my list. Yes, parts of New Hope, Golden Valley, and Crystal may have what you're looking for as far as living situation and shouldn't be discounted.

What burb of Des Moines are you in? I'm suspecting WDM/Johnston/Waukee and the like? If you want something similar to that...head west - Eden Prairie and Maple Grove. But it will probably cost you.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Fridley is mostly a blue collar that hasn't really kept up with the times. There are better options out there.

I think Fridley is above Crystal, New Hope, Robbinsdale, Columbia Heights, Spring Lake Park and Mounds View

I had the opportunity to see every square inch of that city when I worked for them. There are some "run down" parts, but don't fuze 'working-class' with 'crime'. Sometimes people just don't have that few extra bucks to pour into their home, they need it for other things. Much of what I saw there are elderly people, mostly pre-boomer generations that are long retired. Then there was a large 'new' non-boomer younger gen X crowd. You tell me the demographic with the least amount of money- Oh yeah, Elders and Young Families. Both reside in Fridley, thus giving that perception of being 'bad' because of a little wear and tear on the house. From what I saw though, much of the elderly residents keep a close eye on their yards.

You can always use the 'grass is greener' card, but I think Fridley is a great place to be especially around the Totino Grace area.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 PM

252 posts, read 591,015 times
It (Fridley) diddn't look to terribly bad when I was there, just perhaps a little run down. Its still on the radar, just not as much as before I visited. You do have to admit that where dilapidation happens, there usually is a correlation of crime. Not that one causes the other, but there does tend to be a high coefficient of correlation. When you have the chance, you should google "broken windows policing". Interesting material theory developed in the 80's about how when one neighborhood starts to lose its upkeep of property, the tendancy is to ultimately slide into a crime and eventually poverty situation for said area.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,014 times
Dude, if you liked White Bear I would highly recommend it. I grew up there and couldn't imagine a better place to live in. The commute isn't great but it is definitely worth it. White Bear is an amazing town with quite a bit of history and more community pride than any other town in the metro.

Go Bears!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM

252 posts, read 591,015 times
AV Guy - awesome post! So good to hear from someone so similar. Quite possibly the best post so far in terms of insight provided. Is Falcon Heights/Lauderdale the area where Izzy's Ice Cream is? We were referred there and really liked the surrounding areas. The problem is the lack of housing in our price range. The reason we limited our areas to these is because of their affordability. That being said, if I do well financially after school, we may look to move to Edin Prairie, Falcon Heights/Rosedale area to grow our family. Did you go to the U of M too? What Class? What type of law do you practice?

Swmrbird - Also, thanks for the insight. Is there some kind of network for "immigrants" from DSM? I live in Urbandale/Waukee north of Hickman in a new construction community. To elaborate on my analogy of Bloomington to South Side, my observations of the eastern point (near the southern edge & not too far from the mall), were that the houses were a little run-down and we did notice a spontaneous trailer park. I actually grew up on the south side until I was about 13 in the mid-ninties (then we moved to Johnston). I know the South Side pretty well, and while Bloomington had its unique parts, it definately had the same southside twist. Perhaps the other areas of Bloom are better. WHy is it you would avoid Robbinsdale? It seemed pretty nice (at least the parts wer were in).

Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
AV Guy - awesome post! So good to hear from someone so similar. Quite possibly the best post so far in terms of insight provided. Is Falcon Heights/Lauderdale the area where Izzy's Ice Cream is? We were referred there and really liked the surrounding areas. The problem is the lack of housing in our price range. The reason we limited our areas to these is because of their affordability. That being said, if I do well financially after school, we may look to move to Edin Prairie, Falcon Heights/Rosedale area to grow our family. Did you go to the U of M too? What Class? What type of law do you practice?

Swmrbird - Also, thanks for the insight. Is there some kind of network for "immigrants" from DSM? I live in Urbandale/Waukee north of Hickman in a new construction community. To elaborate on my analogy of Bloomington to South Side, my observations of the eastern point (near the southern edge & not too far from the mall), were that the houses were a little run-down and we did notice a spontaneous trailer park. I actually grew up on the south side until I was about 13 in the mid-ninties (then we moved to Johnston). I know the South Side pretty well, and while Bloomington had its unique parts, it definately had the same southside twist. Perhaps the other areas of Bloom are better. WHy is it you would avoid Robbinsdale? It seemed pretty nice (at least the parts wer were in).

To be fair I can't speak for all of Robbinsdale. But I've worked at North Memorial...so I think I probably have a skewed view....I really only see the bad. But recently there have been quite a few break-ins/thefts and the like. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned for my safety...more for my property.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM

117 posts, read 377,479 times
Stay in Des Moines

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM

812 posts, read 2,171,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
To be fair I can't speak for all of Robbinsdale. But I've worked at North Memorial...so I think I probably have a skewed view....I really only see the bad. But recently there have been quite a few break-ins/thefts and the like. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned for my safety...more for my property.
There were some break-ins, some guy was arrested, I've heard of no further problems. You can check the weekly police reports on the Sun Post to get a sense of what goes on in town every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul