Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,735 times

Advertisements

What does everybody think of the Crystal area? I've noticed some houses that are very affordable compared to other parts of the Twin Cities. Safe? Good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
It's not that bad. Crystal is an older, middle-class first ring suburb that is very diverse. It's not dangerous at all, though probably not as safe as further out burbs like Plymouth, Eden Prairie, or Medina. It is still very low crime by most standards. wouldn't be afraid to live there.

//www.city-data.com/city/Crystal-Minnesota.html
http://www.ci.crystal.mn.us/

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstomn View Post
What does everybody think of the Crystal area? I've noticed some houses that are very affordable compared to other parts of the Twin Cities. Safe? Good schools?
Crystal isn't bad, maybe more crime then outer suburbs, but still a perfectly fine and safe place to reside.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
Im staying at a place off Bass Lake and 81. Wasn't my first choice by any means but the rent is cheap and it is close to my job and NHCC.

Some of the neighborhoods are kind of worn down and ugly, but thats really the extent of whats "bad" about it. Pretty low crime....not a lot going on, etc. I dont mind it because 81 provides easy access to and from the city. For the time being, its worked for me.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Just a typical 1950s inner ring suburb. Some crime, some older homes. More of an Urban Suburb. My family is from the area. I have nothing bad to say about it other than the schools.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Crystal doesn't annoy me nearly as much as some Twin Cities suburbs do but I doubt I'd ever live there. The location is fairly convenient as far as getting downtown, to the U, etc. but there aren't really any draws to the immediate area. Most of Crystal isn't very walkable, and doesn't have any interesting history, architecture, parks, etc.

Given a choice I prefer suburbs like Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Golden Valley, Richfield and of course the city neighborhoods.

I've been really annoyed lately that most of the suburban residential streets we've walked on haven't had sidewalks. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
The area I am in is kinda nice because its close to Crystal Center so theres things within walking distance.

I prefer Robbinsdale overall, but its alright in the location I am at.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 AM

812 posts, read 2,171,804 times
The school district is Robbinsdale. Some love it, some don't. Spanish Immersion is a very popular choice among district parents.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Crystal doesn't annoy me nearly as much as some Twin Cities suburbs do but I doubt I'd ever live there. The location is fairly convenient as far as getting downtown, to the U, etc. but there aren't really any draws to the immediate area. Most of Crystal isn't very walkable, and doesn't have any interesting history, architecture, parks, etc.

Given a choice I prefer suburbs like Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Golden Valley, Richfield and of course the city neighborhoods.

I've been really annoyed lately that most of the suburban residential streets we've walked on haven't had sidewalks. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion.
Oh, good, I am sure my husband will be THRILLED to hear our sidewalk has disappeared so he doesn't have to shovel it in the winter.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Oh, good, I am sure my husband will be THRILLED to hear our sidewalk has disappeared so he doesn't have to shovel it in the winter.
If you're trying to argue that not having sidewalks is better because then you don't have to shovel it in the winter then to each his/her own. I think that is well worth the luxury of being able to walk around the neighborhood on sidewalks with a line of mature trees between you and the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul