U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering about the osseo school district (Maple Grove). I know they have had their fair of financial problems and schools closed, but what district at this point hasn't? However, I have heard problems of the schools being overcrowded, moving boundaries, etc. I am mainly looking at the schools in the city of Maple Grove. Does anybody have any info? Is there a possiblity MG could ever break from the Osseo district and become it's own? MG will continue to grow.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM

812 posts, read 2,059,865 times
I've heard mixed reviews of Osseo schools - some are happy, some aren't. I can't tell you specifically about Maple Grove. What I do know is there are a lot of school options as it's part of the NW Suburban Integration District so there's a lot of kids moving around. I don't see any signs that Maple Grove will pull out of Osseo schools.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,281 times
We would be happy to arrange tours for you and your family at any ISD 279 school in Maple Grove. (ISD 279 covers all or part of eight communities, including Maple Grove, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Osseo, and others.) We are proud of our award-winning schools, staff, and students. ISD 279 is a large district, and the opportunities are immense. Some schools do have class sizes higher than we would like, and we are hiring 12 additional teachers next year to help remedy that situation. We are not contemplating boundary changes, either at the elementary or secondary level. We'd love to show you any school that interests you, and answer any questions!
Sincerely,
Barbara Olson, Community Relations Director
763-391-7002; welisten@district279.org

Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM

15 posts, read 40,832 times
I have also heard mixed reviews of the Osseo district. If you are willing to move a bit further west and prefer a smaller city, I've heard great things about Delano. The school has a lot fewer students per class, the school is consistently rated as one of the top in the state, and you would never have to worry about moving boundaries. With the new Hwy.12 bypass you are only about 20 minutes from 494.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,814 times
My two kids recently graduated from Osseo Senior High.

As a parent, I like Osseo schools. The elementary school draws from the surrounding neighborhood. It is a typical suburban school. The junior and senior high schools draw from a variety of cities - e.g. rich kids from Plymouth, poor kids from Brooklyn Center, working class from Osseo, and middle of the road from Maple Grove. As a result, the schools are exceptionally diverse. What makes it special is that it works. I'm not sure that groups intermingle a whole lot, but they don't fight across groups (at least according to my kids).

In addition, it's been said that drugs are more prevalent at schools located in well-to-do neighborhoods because kids can afford them. I'm not sure that I agree with this, but my kids seem to think there is some truth to it.

The other thing I like about Osseo is that the jr. and sr. high schools are located next to each other. It makes for a nice little communiity of its own in contrast to other cities where schools aren't near each other.

The teachers and staff work hard at building school spirit and they are successful.

Finally, my kids had the benefit of some exceptional teachers at Osseo. I can think of at least 10 teachers between the two of them who were immensely influential on my kids and their futures. To find that many good teachers in a lifetime is rare, I think (at least in my own experience where I can only think of 1 or 2).

Academically, I think Osseo is no different than other schools in that it is forced to teach at the level of the masses. Those who can work at a higher level suffer a bit, I think, but advanced classes area available which helps.

It all depends on what kind of experience you want for your children, but I was quite happy with Osseo schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul