U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,617 posts, read 5,367,398 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Where will each of you be working, and will either of you be using the airport frequently? What made the RE agent recommend Blaine?

Your $350K will get you into some nice houses in many good areas, some of which might suit your tastes and commutes better than Blaine.

EDIT: Just read your previous thread... I would not recommend Blaine, or anywhere that far from the U, unless you're looking for a huge lot. I admit I pay little attention to school issues, so can't help there, but Roseville, Falcon Heights, and St. Anthony come to mind as a more convenient "in between" that you might want to look into.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 04-24-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 PM
 
3,767 posts, read 8,368,755 times
Reputation: 3751
For 350 you can get quite a bit- a bit closer in. You didnt give a bit of information regarding your needs, but there are a ton of suburbs closer to the cities - in great areas with great character and amenities. This forum has discussions ad nauseum on most of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there...
3,663 posts, read 8,333,068 times
Reputation: 3743
Blaine is ok, Moundsview is rundown, Ham Lake is more rural, and Andover is newer. I live in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 2,165,445 times
Reputation: 597
I'm not a fan of Blaine at all. One of the uglier suburbs and really flat. I'd look at White Bear Lake. Similar type of people with a similar commute, but a much nicer town that's my favorite in the metro. Plus you can get something just as good for maybe less.

Unlike Blaine, White Bear is an actual city with an old downtown and 150 years of history and a ton of community pride. Blaine just kind of sprouted up in the last 30 years because there's a bunch of flat fields there; perfect for dropping cookie cutters on top of.

The schools are about the same between both places. If you did move to Blaine though, the Centennial school district is the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Gladstone, MO
2,066 posts, read 4,782,987 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I'm not a fan of Blaine at all. One of the uglier suburbs and really flat. I'd look at White Bear Lake. Similar type of people with a similar commute, but a much nicer town that's my favorite in the metro. Plus you can get something just as good for maybe less.

Unlike Blaine, White Bear is an actual city with an old downtown and 150 years of history and a ton of community pride. Blaine just kind of sprouted up in the last 30 years because there's a bunch of flat fields there; perfect for dropping cookie cutters on top of.

The schools are about the same between both places. If you did move to Blaine though, the Centennial school district is the best.
I LOVE White Bear Lake, coming from a young person from outside the metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
 
4,176 posts, read 4,467,381 times
Reputation: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
While I don't disagree, I will say that school quality is marginal. It's the home life that has a more significant impact on a child's education. Education from Suburb A compared to Suburb B varies so slightly that each HS is still going to have x-x% go to Community Colleges, x-x% go to State Colleges, x-x% go to upper tier colleges, and x-x% go to top tier colleges.

More parents need to start reading to their children earlier in life, and start taking some accountability when your child isn't behind the walls of a school. It's the parent's responsibility to go out of the way to ensure they have a superb student. Helping with homework, encouraging interaction in the classroom, and providing real life examples for learning.

But again, like you said, monetary and funding problems always trump quality of learning problems, because you can't have one without the other, so it's a vicious cycle.
I agree with this. Far too much is made of school districts around here. If the parents aren't involved, the student will suffer badly. Maybe the school district and test scores are more a reflection of the parenting than the school itself.

You look at a given school and see that 75% are passing the basic math test. Then in another school, only 50% passed. But what does that mean? Does that mean the kids in the 50% school are dumber or the teachers are worse? Maybe, but maybe not. I think it's more in the parenting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 58,832,958 times
Reputation: 10671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I agree with this. Far too much is made of school districts around here. If the parents aren't involved, the student will suffer badly. Maybe the school district and test scores are more a reflection of the parenting than the school itself.

You look at a given school and see that 75% are passing the basic math test. Then in another school, only 50% passed. But what does that mean? Does that mean the kids in the 50% school are dumber or the teachers are worse? Maybe, but maybe not. I think it's more in the parenting.
Of course it is parenting but along with that goes the attitude with those families of the lack of importance of getting a good education and that can effect ALL the students, especially if you add behavior problems, which you often see with kids where parents are not involved. You find the teacher spending more time disciplining a handful of kids while the other 20 kids in the class are left to fend for themselves. It isn't the teacher's fault, nor is it the fault of the school. It does harm kids in the long run, even the best students. Maybe your class only gets 3/4th of the way through your math book that year and you end up scoring a 28 vs 30 on your ACT. A 28 is still good but a 30 would have meant big scholarship money. Go spend some time in the classrooms around the cities and you will see exactly what I am talking about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 2,165,445 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Of course it is parenting but along with that goes the attitude with those families of the lack of importance of getting a good education and that can effect ALL the students, especially if you add behavior problems, which you often see with kids where parents are not involved. You find the teacher spending more time disciplining a handful of kids while the other 20 kids in the class are left to fend for themselves. It isn't the teacher's fault, nor is it the fault of the school. It does harm kids in the long run, even the best students. Maybe your class only gets 3/4th of the way through your math book that year and you end up scoring a 28 vs 30 on your ACT. A 28 is still good but a 30 would have meant big scholarship money. Go spend some time in the classrooms around the cities and you will see exactly what I am talking about.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my nephew got a 33 and didn't get diddly squat in scholarship money from either the U of M or UW Madison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
 
336 posts, read 884,661 times
Reputation: 87
I agree wholeheartedly- while parenting is always crucial- your kid is not going to get as much attention in a district with kids that are not at grade level, whatever the reason. It's just the nature of being human that needier or problem kids are going to absorb the most attention from the teachers.

Aside from the actual educational reasons for buying in a good school district, there are financial ones as well- resale on your home in the future will be better in a good district.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 58,832,958 times
Reputation: 10671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my nephew got a 33 and didn't get diddly squat in scholarship money from either the U of M or UW Madison.
And we have good friends who's son is at Purdue on a full ride with a 33-it isn't only about the ACT but it helps. A 33 on an ACT barely qualifies you for Madison these days. Most kids get private scholarships vs ones from state schools-state schools are not all that generous with $$$.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top