Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times

Advertisements

People proclaim-----" look how much tax money the state gets from the highly paid Viking players"

Some of the same people will post on a political forum that the wealthy don't pay taxes.

My point is, we have no way of knowing the amount of taxes the Viking players pay unless they would make their tax returns public. ( and why should they ? )

If players have agents negotiating multi million dollar contracts, I presume they have tax accountants advising them as well.

How do " experts" know how much tax money is generated by the Vikings pay roll?
they don't !

They use whatever figures support their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
I like to "put" unnecessary "quote" marks in "sentences" that don't "need" them.

Anyway. I wonder how many people who were against Obama's stimulus are in favor of building a Vikings stadium for all the perceived economic benefits.

All the research I've read says that if a sports team doesn't exist, the disposable income is still spent. In that regard, a sports team (nor a stadium) does not generate revenue. The money will be spent elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--It all comes down to quality of life.........

I think a properly financed K-12 education system would be a higher priority for --quality of life--than using taxes to pay for a stadium.

Spend hundreds of millions so people can spend big bucks watching paid athletes perform at the same time schools are cutting budgets and cutting activities that kids can participate in ?

Yup, makes a lot of sense! (sarc)
You're right, but there is no way in hell that a sales tax would pass the legislature for the purpose of more school funding. People would turn up at the capitol with torches and pitchforks.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM

35 posts, read 120,384 times
I just don't see how anyone can oppose this if the state can come up with a new way to pay for it. There is no reason for Racino taxes to go to the general fund if it passes. There is no reason to use that type of money on education either. Can you think of the headlines? Something like “Gambling on Education.” What if they passed a sports memorabilia tax...why should that go to pay for something else?

I understand how funny the idea of subsidizing millionaires is but government does it each day. I think it would be unfortunate if we were to lose the team because of government inaction. They seemed to make it work in Indianapolis, Detroit and Denver. We can probability take a note from Detroit’s Silver Dome because once the dome goes empty it's going to be a giant drain (attempt at joke on big inflatable toilet w/ regard to taxes).

It's really unfortunate that professional sports have gotten so expensive that they require government help. It shouldn't be much of a surprise though. Look at baseball. Now day’s year in and out it is the big city/money market teams that win. Minnesota just can't compete with the draw of NY, L.A., and Chicago...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Actually, I would like to see the local part of education funding changed.

Allow school districts to run a school operating levy that would be financed via an income tax surcharge.

Very easy to do, district residents would still get a vote, and more people would be voting that it directly affects ( rather than just property tax levies)

Property taxes already fund a major part of school buildings ( construction bonds)

Use an income tax surcharge to fund operating levies.

Actually, if the state was more responsible in funding K-12 , we wouldn't be needing these operating levies.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you know his opinions then you must listened to him ocassionally as well. I bet we both listen to Gary Eichten on MPR too. So what's your point??
Compare your post to this article, see any similarities?

Jason Lewis: The stadium: Lovely -- and a boondoggle | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/89801067.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Let China build the Vikings a new stadium.

If its profitable to own other buildings in the US, let China build and own the stadium.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Let China build the Vikings a new stadium.

If its profitable to own other buildings in the US, let China build and own the stadium.
Better yet, send our kids over to China for their education since apparently the Chinese are doing a better job than we seem to be able to do. A little extracuricular activity working in the mud brick factory will do 'em some good.

Your arguments seem to be running out of wind these days.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Compare your post to this article, see any similarities?

Jason Lewis: The stadium: Lovely -- and a boondoggle | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/89801067.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)
For starters I never read that (still have not). If his points overlap mine it's because we think a like. He thinks logical and removes the emotion out of a business decision and objective. I can tell you the pros and cons of any controversial issue. I suspect if I google "stadium welfare" (or any other like text) I will come-up with similar view points.

As a side note I've heard Jason come after District 11 on the levy's. He is wrong because I have personally talked with the school board leaders as to the specifics.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
It's really tough.

I agree with a lot of Mn-Born. i think the user is more or less playing devil's advocate as it was mentioned that they would prefer the Vikings to pay.

What I think is needed is a multi-use stadium, something that will trickle dollars back into the economy, thus spilling over for all. Building stadiums are no different than building theaters, museums, gardens, parks, trails and others. Cool, Minneapolis has a bunch of bike trails, but I don't bike. I'll NEVER use them (hard to say never, but it's hard to see). I'll never go to the Guthrie or spend my money at the Museum downtown. But, I know it's those things that separates Minneapolis from St. Paul, Madison, Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, Soiux Falls, etc. etc.

Go visit the "Target Field is awesome" Thread. Look at all those people downtown. Look at all the money just being pumped into the economy- $25 for a t-shirt, $30 for beers, $20 for food, $10 for parking, $5 for a game fold out. But again, 8-12 games in a year is different than the 82-90 that the Twins could play in Minneapolis.

Building a grand multi-use stadium will be huge for Minnesota. They cheaped out with the Dome, and now look at it. 27 yrs old, and it's a pile of junk. Look at what Lucas-Oil Stadium did for Indianapolis in March. The whole world (sporting world) had their eyes on that city. People travelled from EVERY state to go watch the NCAAs there. Where do you think THOSE people slept at night?-The Radisson Downtown. Where do you think they ate?- Restaurants downtown. The aerial views of Downtown made people say "Woah, Indianapolis is cool, maybe we should check that place out sometime".

A quality, multi-use stadium downtown would be great for the area, but again it shouldn't be built on tax dollars (or at least a majority) The tax burden for Hennepin County Residents will be forgotton by years end, as there now will be 40,000 downtown Minneapolis for a guaranteed 80 nights a year. By scheduling events, concerts, and the football games, etc, the new Stadium could bring in 60,000 for 50 nights a year. Those hotels downtown go from having 50 rooms occupied to 60 rooms occupied.

They should avoid at all costs what Philadelphia did. They have this beautiful open air stadium that sits like a ghost town almost all year (woah, ok, ok Feb - Sept)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul