Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What he said. ^^ +1

While knke0204 attempted to explain away my logic as "only $20" let's see how many of us care about a buck or two.

Say you are about to fill-up your tank and know that the other gas station is a couple cents cheaper. How many of us wait for a couple of minutes to pick-up $0.30 cents (15 gallons times $0.02 cents)?? Say you are staring at your CableTV package and for $2 less per month you would have to give up a couple more HBO channels. Do you make these calculations? Say that you are at a Subway and you look at the menu and decide between the $5 item and the $6 item (figuring out if the $6 sandwich is worth it) or if you should bother with the pop. Millions of people make these decisions every day (hundreds of times a year).

That is because budgets are made up of several thousand transactions a year. When I roll-up the numbers and am always amazed at how much it all adds-up in the end. I watch the pennies because they add up to dollars. I also watch the dollars because it adds up to thousands of dollars. But for some reason people can rationalize their pet project by explainin away that they never use (fill in the blank).

As a side note I also consider if I want to buy a major purchase in a high tax area. As a personal example, I am doing a bunch of remodeling on my place up North. I'll intentionally stop at a Menards outside of the Cities if I am spending a few Grand on supplies. That's because the tax rate is a bit lower. People are shopping on-line now to dodge the sales taxes.

Rest assured local retailers are feeling the pain. As a retailer who sells big ticket items, I know people make similar decisions.

Hmm. I get your reasoning. Interesting to think about it that way, since that's the way I live my financial life. I always do those calculations. I now buy Mt. Dew cans instead of bottles. The trade off? 8 fluid ounces of soda? Convenience of a Twist back top opposed to a can?

Well, it's not the $.50 that's the trade off. It's the $.50 x 3 days a week I make the purchase = $1.50 a week. But it's not the $1.50 a week that makes my economic decision. To me, I'd gladly pay an extra $.50 cents for more soda and convenience of drinking (for one time and one time only) but, I don't just purchase 1 soda ever. So it's not the $1.50 like I said, it's the $1.50/wk X 52 weeks = $78/yr.

So, my decision is based on $78 a year to have a little less soda without a twist top. Not based on $.50 for that one-time purchase.

Interesting. I get what you're saying MN-BORN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Hmm. I get your reasoning. Interesting to think about it that way, since that's the way I live my financial life. I always do those calculations. I now buy Mt. Dew cans instead of bottles. The trade off? 8 fluid ounces of soda? Convenience of a Twist back top opposed to a can?

Well, it's not the $.50 that's the trade off. It's the $.50 x 3 days a week I make the purchase = $1.50 a week. But it's not the $1.50 a week that makes my economic decision. To me, I'd gladly pay an extra $.50 cents for more soda and convenience of drinking (for one time and one time only) but, I don't just purchase 1 soda ever. So it's not the $1.50 like I said, it's the $1.50/wk X 52 weeks = $78/yr.

So, my decision is based on $78 a year to have a little less soda without a twist top. Not based on $.50 for that one-time purchase.

Interesting. I get what you're saying MN-BORN.
So does that mean you are not going to reimburse me my twenty bucks per year? That's a lot of fluid ounces of Mountain Dew!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
So does that mean you are not going to reimburse me my twenty bucks per year? That's a lot of fluid ounces of Mountain Dew!

Haha, guess not~

Sometimes some of that self-association works better... Can you say Tommy want wingy?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM

664 posts, read 1,945,989 times
Quote:
10,000Lakes. I'm not getting upset as to why people call their team the Minnesota Vikings. If people want to live in a fantasy, I don't care so long as that fantasy doesn't demand that the county or state reach into my pocket for the 4th or 5th time on a stadium. My concern is people are spending other peoples money and clearly rationalizing terrible common sense business decisions (like building each team their own shrine) because they think it is their team.

I personally know the people writing the Viking Ads. They do a bang-up job getting people to buy into Purple Pride and their other marketing jargons. That's their job and they do it well. You have swallowed the purple pill.

I'm simply trying to wake people up. When adults were waiting in line for their Cabbage Patch Dolls and Kid's fought over their Pokémon cards, rational people were chuckling at them. The parents who's Kid's have already graduated laugh when they watch the younger parents push and play the politics to argue why little Johnny didn't make the A team. When you can see things for what they are it allows you to focus on authentic important decisions. Keeping the Vikings isn't one of my priorities. Maybe it's because I figured out that they are the MN Vikings by name only.

I asked you what makes the MN Vikings "Minnesota". If that is your best answer ("There is no deeper issue as to why they are the Mn Vikings" )can we agree you don't have an answer??

I get where your coming from on the staduium and I was only yanking your chain! But I think it's 2 differnt issues your molding together. The staduim being built with what $$ and what makes the Vikings the Minnesota Vikings. Way different things, although I see where your coming from with the adverstisment and getting the public to fund it. I just don't see how that has to do with how Minnesotan anything is. Obviously they are Minnesotan because they've been the Minnesotan NFL team for a long time and probably several of us here on this board has a parent or grandparent who grew up a Vikings fan.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
They're the Minnesota Vikings cause Minnesotans watch them.

Call watching a sports team stupid if you want. That's your opinion but it doesn't change the fact that 70+% of the Twin Cities population follows the Vikings and watches them the majority of Sundays. A hell of a lot more people watch the Vikings every Sunday/Monday than use our educational facilities.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

Call watching a sports team stupid if you want. That's your opinion but it doesn't change the fact that 70+% of the Twin Cities population follows the Vikings and watches them the majority of Sundays. A hell of a lot more people watch the Vikings every Sunday/Monday than use our educational facilities.
+1 ... Agread! Skool is stoopid!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

Your point is ?

The vast majority of people watching the Vikings did use our educational facilities for 13 years. ( including the 30% not following the Vikings)

I question whether those Viking fans (who put up that billboard in Hattiesburg MS begging Bret Favre to return ) have used any educational facility , though.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Your point is ?

The vast majority of people watching the Vikings did use our educational facilities for 13 years. ( including the 30% not following the Vikings)

I question whether those Viking fans (who put up that billboard in Hattiesburg MS begging Bret Favre to return ) have used any educational facility , though.

You're talking about a couple of thousand Brett Favre fans in Mississippi and not the 1,000,000 + Minnesotans that are Vikings fans.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Your point is ?

your obsession with billboards is funny, almost eclipsed by your latent love for brett favre...don't forget to mention a recent editorial in the Strib about blah, blah, blah...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM

35 posts, read 120,364 times
Not really applicable but I went to high school in Stillwater and if I went there today and handed a student $20 today and said it was for education they would have already smoked that $20 away yesterday.. Half of these kids don't care about learning and this is a "privileged" area. They can at least brag about the Vikings today!

Go spend a few bucks at a little worse off school and it doesn’t matter. Brand new text book means a few less ZigZag papers the kids have to buy. Doesn’t really matter how much money you throw at the school when the parents are working 2 jobs at minimum wage and don’t care what is going on.

My sarcastic argument being that if you throw $20 at public education right now I would be surprised if you received a $5 benefit. I think there are other issues right now that are too deep and expensive that would need to be addressed that our society would rather ignore.

On another note I really enjoy the public school system in Minnesota as compared to my brief observations in Suburban Maryland where they were all based on a County wide system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul