U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,801 times

Advertisements

Is this a nice area? What is it like there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,394,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkaff View Post
Is this a nice area? What is it like there?
This can be a confusing question as the area that is actually south of downtown on the other side of the river is called the west side. The area has a large Hispanic population and smaller older houses and warehouses. Harriet Island is also located in this area.

The actual geographically west side is located between downtown St. Paul and downtown Mpls. and is indeed a very nice area. Many colleges (St. Kates, Macallister etc.) Grand Avenue and Summit Avenue are located in and near here, Highland Park neighborhood, old large houses and mansions, nice restaurants and shops.
IMO, this is the best neighborhood in the entire Twin Cities metro.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 16,801 times
I guess I'm asking about West Side St. Paul as in directly south of downtown SP just across the river.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM

383 posts, read 839,498 times
You can't see Dayton's bluff on the geographic west side of STP though.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM

383 posts, read 839,498 times
Oh. The actual "West Side", like MnSpring said is mainly a Hispanic neighborhood. It's kind of hilly and it has the Wabasha caves as well as a good view of the aformentioned bluff. It's good sightseeing.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,498,206 times
No, the West Side is not a nice area. There is actually a lot of crime, mainly drug related there. At one time it was a beautiful area but it has long since gone down hill. The majority of the homes there are rental properties that are not well cared for. I would avoid that area. Now, not to confuse the matter further but West St. Paul, which is south of the West Side, is fine. Anything south of Annapolis or so will be fine but the area between Smith and Robert street and north of Annapolis (which is the area that is considered the West Side) is to be avoided.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 AM

134 posts, read 317,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, the West Side is not a nice area. There is actually a lot of crime, mainly drug related there. At one time it was a beautiful area but it has long since gone down hill. The majority of the homes there are rental properties that are not well cared for. I would avoid that area. Now, not to confuse the matter further but West St. Paul, which is south of the West Side, is fine. Anything south of Annapolis or so will be fine but the area between Smith and Robert street and north of Annapolis (which is the area that is considered the West Side) is to be avoided.
I disagree. There are areas that are tougher than others on the West Side, but also some very nice areas. My brother lives there, so I have spent a lot of time there and know it very well. It's a sweeping generalization to say that it "is not a nice area."

The mayor of St Paul lives on the West Side- next to Cherokee park, close to the river bluffs. Anything to the west of Smith in this area is generally pretty good. There is almost no rental housing in this area. There is great access to bike and walking trails and fantastic views of the river bluff towards the Mpls skyline.

The area along the river bluff facing downtown between Smith and Robert is also very nice. There are some really great houses- old victorians with a lot of character in this area. The further you go south in this zone, it's gets a bit sketchy- but also varies a bit from block to block.

The area down by Cesar Chavez or Concord is even sketchier and I wouldn't recommend hanging out in those neighborhoods at night. The shopping and restaurants are excellent, so don't avoid those. It's a great, authentic mexican experience!

The bluff area above the shopping district (east of Robert) is also pretty nice- especially along the bluff edge. There are some brand new houses and restored houses along Prescott.

The area is very hispanic and also has hmong immigrants- but the majority of neighborhoods feature people that grew up there and have relatives there. It's typically working class and sometimes struggling working class. The schools are very much struggling in this area and I'd recommend avoiding them for magnet schools elsewhere. Like any older community, it has it's pockets of houses in disrepair- but there has also been a lot of reinvestment into the community too.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,498,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
I disagree. There are areas that are tougher than others on the West Side, but also some very nice areas. My brother lives there, so I have spent a lot of time there and know it very well. It's a sweeping generalization to say that it "is not a nice area."

The mayor of St Paul lives on the West Side- next to Cherokee park, close to the river bluffs. Anything to the west of Smith in this area is generally pretty good. There is almost no rental housing in this area. There is great access to bike and walking trails and fantastic views of the river bluff towards the Mpls skyline.

The area along the river bluff facing downtown between Smith and Robert is also very nice. There are some really great houses- old victorians with a lot of character in this area. The further you go south in this zone, it's gets a bit sketchy- but also varies a bit from block to block.

The area down by Cesar Chavez or Concord is even sketchier and I wouldn't recommend hanging out in those neighborhoods at night. The shopping and restaurants are excellent, so don't avoid those. It's a great, authentic mexican experience!

The bluff area above the shopping district (east of Robert) is also pretty nice- especially along the bluff edge. There are some brand new houses and restored houses along Prescott.

The area is very hispanic and also has hmong immigrants- but the majority of neighborhoods feature people that grew up there and have relatives there. It's typically working class and sometimes struggling working class. The schools are very much struggling in this area and I'd recommend avoiding them for magnet schools elsewhere. Like any older community, it has it's pockets of houses in disrepair- but there has also been a lot of reinvestment into the community too.
Technically the area west of Cherokee Park is Mendota Heights, and yes, that is a nice area, but it is not technically the West Side. I have guess it depends on what you consider nice too. I personally don't consider run down houses with rusting out cars and lawns that haven't been mowed in weeks nice. Any reinvestment in the area is minimal. I lived in Mendota Heights in high school and spent a lot of time in the area and it was bad then and only worse now.

The newer housing that has gone up is section 8 rentals.

Last edited by golfgal; 08-24-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM

134 posts, read 317,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Technically the area west of Cherokee Park is Mendota Heights, and yes, that is a nice area, but it is not technically the West Side. I have guess it depends on what you consider nice too. I personally don't consider run down houses with rusting out cars and lawns that haven't been mowed in weeks nice. Any reinvestment in the area is minimal. I lived in Mendota Heights in high school and spent a lot of time in the area and it was bad then and only worse now.

The newer housing that has gone up is section 8 rentals.

I never referred to the area west of Cherokee Park- but rather west of Smith, along Cherokee Park. That area is St Paul, not Mendota Heights. The mayor of St Paul doesn't live in Mendota Heights......

The newer housing on Prescott I was referring to was not section 8 housing, but single family owned. I know some of the people that own these houses, and they are certainly not section 8.

Every city or neighborhood has it's pros and cons, so it's ridiculous to categorize areas as all negative or all positive. (golfgal, I will point out that you seem to hate when people make these kinds of generalizations about the suburbs.....) I would certainly avoid certain sections of the West Side when choosing housing, but to write off the whole area in one fell swoop is unfair. If you are looking for close proximity to downtown, great transit options, excellent access to parks and bike trails, older housing stock that's affordable, great mexican restaurants, then this is a good place to look. If you are looking for newer housing, lawns with sprinkler systems, a double car garage facing the street, neighborhood school, - then don't look here.

Last edited by golfgal; 08-24-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

88 posts, read 278,847 times
I've worked on the West Side for the past two years and would often visit when I lived in downtown St. Paul. I definitely agree with Libby01. Like many neighborhoods there are better/worse parts, but to write it off entirely would be denying one of the city's most vibrant areas. It's colorful, diverse, connected to transportation, has great dining options, awesome views and some cool older houses. It's largely working class, Hispanic, and long term residents with some promising neighborhood efforts being made. It's fun running errands with a coworker who grew up there, to stop at local businesses and run into longtime friends who are still there. A very connected, neighborhoody feel. Plus they have one of the best Cinco de Mayo festivals around, coming up very soon! Riverview Economic Development Association | Cinco de Mayo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul